1955 Packard Caribbean-wht&grn&blk-14=mx=.jpg (1/1) 66633 bytes

Old September 16th 07, 08:19 AM posted to alt.binaries.automobile,alt.binaries.automobiles,alt.binaries.pictures.auto,alt.binaries.pictures.automobile,alt.binaries.pictures.autos.oldtimers

Default 1955 Packard Caribbean-wht&grn&blk-14=mx=.jpg (1/1) 66633 bytes

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	1955 Packard Caribbean-wht&grn&blk-14=mx=.jpg
Views:	162
Size:	65.1 KB
ID:	99531
Old September 18th 07, 12:05 PM posted to alt.binaries.automobile,alt.binaries.automobiles,alt.binaries.pictures.auto,alt.binaries.pictures.automobile,alt.binaries.pictures.autos.oldtimers
Retired VIP

On Sun, 16 Sep 2007 07:19:03 GMT, Max
wrote:

Two 2 barrels----Man, I bet that thing would eat up the road!

Jack

---
Virus Database (VPS): 000775-1, 09/17/2007
Tested on: 9/18/2007 7:05:49 AM

Old September 19th 07, 08:49 AM posted to alt.binaries.automobile,alt.binaries.automobiles,alt.binaries.pictures.auto,alt.binaries.pictures.automobile,alt.binaries.pictures.autos.oldtimers
MagisterMax

I've never had the good fortune to ride in or drive a Caribbean but I did
drive a Patrician in 1955 and a Clipper Custom in 1956 and they were amazing
highway cars....in a straight line, that is.

Max

Old September 20th 07, 02:42 AM posted to alt.binaries.automobile,alt.binaries.automobiles,alt.binaries.pictures.auto,alt.binaries.pictures.automobile,alt.binaries.pictures.autos.oldtimers
Retired VIP

On Wed, 19 Sep 2007 07:49:28 GMT, "MagisterMax"
> wrote:

I took driver's ed. in high school, they had a 1959 Chevy. My dad had
a 1955 Plymouth that I drove quite a bit. Both the Chevy and the
Plymouth had V8's. They moved good in a straight line but you better
slow waaaay down when you got to the corner!

Jack

>I've never had the good fortune to ride in or drive a Caribbean but I did
>drive a Patrician in 1955 and a Clipper Custom in 1956 and they were amazing
>highway cars....in a straight line, that is.
>
>Max
>
>"Retired VIP" > wrote in message
.. .
>> On Sun, 16 Sep 2007 07:19:03 GMT, Max
>> wrote:
>>
>> Two 2 barrels----Man, I bet that thing would eat up the road!
>>
>> Jack
>>

>> ---
>> avast! Antivirus: Outbound message clean.
>> Virus Database (VPS): 000775-1, 09/17/2007
>> Tested on: 9/18/2007 7:05:49 AM

---
Virus Database (VPS): 000775-2, 09/18/2007
Tested on: 9/19/2007 9:43:13 PM

Old September 20th 07, 10:07 AM posted to alt.binaries.automobile,alt.binaries.automobiles,alt.binaries.pictures.auto,alt.binaries.pictures.automobile,alt.binaries.pictures.autos.oldtimers
MagisterMax

What a coincidence. In 1955 my dad bought a new Dodge Mayfair. That was a
Canadian model with a Plymouth body, interior, and mechanical components but
with a Dodge front clip. The Mayfair was trimmed identically to a Plymouth
Belvedere. It was such a beautiful looking and riding car, just like the
Plymouth of that year, and we put almost 90,000 miles on it in three years,
including a couple of trips to Los Angeles from where we lived in Alberta,
to say nothing of a lot of miles on gravelled roads. The car had a
wonderfully absorbent ride but it was low and frequently bottomed on the
gravel in the centre of the road. On several occasions we cracked the
exhaust manifold because we hit a rock with the exhaust pipe. But on the
highway it was a delight, until you came to the turns. You're absolutely
right. Emergency braking was also guaranteed to raise your pulse rate quite
a bit as the front end ploughed and the back end went sideways. I was in my
teens at the time, too young to drive alone but I'd been driving cars,
trucks, and tractors on our farm since I was 10 so I managed to be behind
the wheel of that Dodge as much as possible. It didn't have power steering
or power brakes and had manual shift as well. Most of us have these fond
memories of the wonderful cars of the fifties and sixties but if we drove
one them back to back with the modern car we're driving every day now we'd
probably be horrified at how bad they really were on the road back in those
days.

Max

"Retired VIP" > wrote in message
> On Wed, 19 Sep 2007 07:49:28 GMT, "MagisterMax"
> > wrote:
>
> I took driver's ed. in high school, they had a 1959 Chevy. My dad had
> a 1955 Plymouth that I drove quite a bit. Both the Chevy and the
> Plymouth had V8's. They moved good in a straight line but you better
> slow waaaay down when you got to the corner!
>
> Jack
>

>>I've never had the good fortune to ride in or drive a Caribbean but I did
>>drive a Patrician in 1955 and a Clipper Custom in 1956 and they were
>>amazing
>>highway cars....in a straight line, that is.
>>
>>Max

. ..

Old September 23rd 07, 10:01 PM posted to alt.binaries.automobile,alt.binaries.automobiles,alt.binaries.pictures.auto,alt.binaries.pictures.automobile,alt.binaries.pictures.autos.oldtimers
Retired VIP

We must be about the same age Max, I'll be 62 in November and like
you, I drove a tractor on the farm a lot as a youngster. Dad had a
dairy farm in Indiana and I helped by driving the tractor hauling
wagon loads of corn to the barn in the fall and hay bails from the
alfalfa fields in the summer. Dad had a John Deare "A" and Grandpa
had a International Cub that he had traded for.

I drove the Cub pulling the wagons, it really wasn't heavy enough to
pull a fully loaded 4 wheel wagon. Gandpa had a full set of
attachments for the Cub and I'd use the blade to plow snow in the
winter. Again, the Cub would spin the wheels a lot even though we had
fluid in the tires and weights on the rear wheels.

I remember two things about that old '55 Plymouth. The radio was tube
type of course and the "B" supply used a vibrator in the primary of
the transformer to make-break the 6vdc. It would hum quite loud as
the tubes warmed up. The other is that the automatic transmission
shift lever was on the dash and it didn't have a park position, you'd
better use the parking brake when you parked.

I'm not familiar with Canadian model cars, about all I know about them
is that they were a little different from the state-side cars. Why in
the world would Chrysler put a Dodge front clip on a Plymouth body?
Did GM and Ford do the same thing?

Jack

On Thu, 20 Sep 2007 09:07:55 GMT, "MagisterMax"
> wrote:

>What a coincidence. In 1955 my dad bought a new Dodge Mayfair. That was a
>Canadian model with a Plymouth body, interior, and mechanical components but
>with a Dodge front clip. The Mayfair was trimmed identically to a Plymouth
>Belvedere. It was such a beautiful looking and riding car, just like the
>Plymouth of that year, and we put almost 90,000 miles on it in three years,
>including a couple of trips to Los Angeles from where we lived in Alberta,
>to say nothing of a lot of miles on gravelled roads. The car had a
>wonderfully absorbent ride but it was low and frequently bottomed on the
>gravel in the centre of the road. On several occasions we cracked the
>exhaust manifold because we hit a rock with the exhaust pipe. But on the
>highway it was a delight, until you came to the turns. You're absolutely
>right. Emergency braking was also guaranteed to raise your pulse rate quite
>a bit as the front end ploughed and the back end went sideways. I was in my
>teens at the time, too young to drive alone but I'd been driving cars,
>trucks, and tractors on our farm since I was 10 so I managed to be behind
>the wheel of that Dodge as much as possible. It didn't have power steering
>or power brakes and had manual shift as well. Most of us have these fond
>memories of the wonderful cars of the fifties and sixties but if we drove
>one them back to back with the modern car we're driving every day now we'd
>probably be horrified at how bad they really were on the road back in those
>days.
>
>Max
>
>"Retired VIP" > wrote in message
.. .
>> On Wed, 19 Sep 2007 07:49:28 GMT, "MagisterMax"
>> > wrote:
>>
>> I took driver's ed. in high school, they had a 1959 Chevy. My dad had
>> a 1955 Plymouth that I drove quite a bit. Both the Chevy and the
>> Plymouth had V8's. They moved good in a straight line but you better
>> slow waaaay down when you got to the corner!
>>
>> Jack
>>

>>>I've never had the good fortune to ride in or drive a Caribbean but I did
>>>drive a Patrician in 1955 and a Clipper Custom in 1956 and they were
>>>amazing
>>>highway cars....in a straight line, that is.
>>>
>>>Max

>> ---
>> avast! Antivirus: Outbound message clean.
>> Virus Database (VPS): 000775-2, 09/18/2007
>> Tested on: 9/19/2007 9:43:13 PM

---
Virus Database (VPS): 000775-6, 09/22/2007
Tested on: 9/23/2007 5:01:42 PM

Old September 24th 07, 07:49 AM posted to alt.binaries.automobile,alt.binaries.automobiles,alt.binaries.pictures.auto,alt.binaries.pictures.automobile,alt.binaries.pictures.autos.oldtimers
MagisterMax

I'll repost a set of pictures of Detroit cars that look familiar until you
look closely and see that they're not what you thought. These are all
models that were sold either in Canada, Europe or Australia. I'm just
including the Chrysler products in this set but there are also Canadian Ford
models that never showed up in the US except on cross-border trips.

> [...]

>>the wheel of that Dodge as much as possible. It didn't have power
>>steering
>>or power brakes and had manual shift as well. Most of us have these fond
>>memories of the wonderful cars of the fifties and sixties but if we drove
>>one them back to back with the modern car we're driving every day now we'd
>>probably be horrified at how bad they really were on the road back in
>>those
>>days.
>>
>>Max
>>
>>"Retired VIP" > wrote in message
. ..
>>> On Wed, 19 Sep 2007 07:49:28 GMT, "MagisterMax"
>>>
>>> I took driver's ed. in high school, they had a 1959 Chevy. My dad had
>>> a 1955 Plymouth that I drove quite a bit. Both the Chevy and the
>>> Plymouth had V8's. They moved good in a straight line but you better
>>> slow waaaay down when you got to the corner!

m...

Old September 24th 07, 11:09 PM posted to alt.binaries.automobile,alt.binaries.automobiles,alt.binaries.pictures.auto,alt.binaries.pictures.automobile,alt.binaries.pictures.autos.oldtimers
Retired VIP

Thanks for the posts Max. I still don't understand why the
manufacturers would *******ize their products. Maybe that's part of
the reason why they've lost such massive market share to their foreign
competitors.

Jack

On Mon, 24 Sep 2007 06:49:25 GMT, "MagisterMax"
> [...]

>>>highway it was a delight, until you came to the turns. You're absolutely
>>>right. Emergency braking was also guaranteed to raise your pulse rate
>>>quite
>>>a bit as the front end ploughed and the back end went sideways. I was in
>>>my
>>>teens at the time, too young to drive alone but I'd been driving cars,
>>>trucks, and tractors on our farm since I was 10 so I managed to be behind
>>>the wheel of that Dodge as much as possible. It didn't have power
>>>steering
>>>or power brakes and had manual shift as well. Most of us have these fond
>>>memories of the wonderful cars of the fifties and sixties but if we drove
>>>one them back to back with the modern car we're driving every day now we'd
>>>probably be horrified at how bad they really were on the road back in

om...

>> ---
>> avast! Antivirus: Outbound message clean.
>> Virus Database (VPS): 000775-6, 09/22/2007
>> Tested on: 9/23/2007 5:01:42 PM

---
Virus Database (VPS): 000776-0, 09/24/2007
Tested on: 9/24/2007 6:09:49 PM

Old September 25th 07, 12:09 AM posted to alt.binaries.automobile,alt.binaries.automobiles,alt.binaries.pictures.auto,alt.binaries.pictures.automobile,alt.binaries.pictures.autos.oldtimers
MagisterMax

Hi Jack, I sent you a personal e-mail on that subject rather than posting
it for everyone to read. Did you not get it? If not, I'll post it here for
you. It pretty well explains the reasons for the "*******izing" of
products. Remember, it's only considered a ******* if you believe that's
important; for a lot of markets, the model they got was the model they got
and that was that. They didn't even know about what was going on elsewhere
probably. It's a bit like what happens in Japan or Italy or France. Why
would most North Americans care what cars are made and sold over in those
countries when we can't import them anyway? So when Chrysler slapped a
toothy grille onto a Plymouth and called it a DeSoto Diplomat and sold it in
Sweden or Belgium, they wouldn't have known (or cared) that they were
getting quite a different DeSoto than the home market was.