suspension system for a custom racing wheel chassis

Old March 22nd 06, 11:17 PM posted to rec.autos.simulators

Default suspension system for a custom racing wheel chassis

I'm currently designing a racing wheel chassis that contains a racing
seat, force feedback wheel, and gas/brake pedals. I plan on adding a
device that uses the audio feed from a PC or console system to move a
motor that attaches to the seat or other part of the unit and vibrate
it.

The base of the unit is a 2' x 6' x 1" board, supported by 4" x 4" x 4"
blocks connected by 2x4's. There are 6 4x4 blocks and 7 2x4's
connecting them. Looks like a digital figure 8. For the motor to be
able to effectively shake the chassis, the chassis will need some form
of suspension. I'm thinking that attaching it to the 4x4x4 blocks would
be best.

The total weight of the unit and human shouldn't exceed 300 lbs. I'm a
suspension novice and would like to know if something in the automotive
field could accomplish this cheaply (under $100). If not, what else
could be used?

Any information is appreciated, thanks in advance.

Old March 23rd 06, 10:08 PM posted to rec.autos.simulators

Why use a motor? If all you are going to do is run it from the audio
signal, just attach a couple or four small transducers to the bottom
and back of the seat, fire up your game and let er rip.. It's the most
fun you'll ever have in a massage chair.

Old March 23rd 06, 10:19 PM posted to rec.autos.simulators

Why not use a bass shaker.

oups.com...

Old April 1st 06, 12:35 AM posted to rec.autos.simulators

I should have been more specific I suppose. I'm planning on using the
Buttkicker Gamer model, which I believe is similar if not the same as
what you're both talking about. In any case I bought three bicycle rear
shocks for the suspension at a steal of about $9 each. They're 650
lbs/in so I'll have to extend their length 3/4 an inch and add a little
more weight to the chassis. I just hope the Buttkicker unit is powerful
enough to make a difference. My APC racing seat just came in today.

OT looking for radio Ken Weitzel Chrysler 17 November 27th 05 02:09 PM
2002 L300 Wagon 37000 miles Ed Saturn 9 January 6th 05 02:16 PM
C5 problems (98 in particular) radar Corvette 12 January 3rd 05 11:04 PM
Advan Racing Wheel Valves Mat G General 0 May 24th 04 08:03 PM