97 528i for 11K

Old February 4th 05, 06:19 PM
C.R. Krieger

Michael wrote:
> "Michael Low" > wrote in message
> ups.com...
> >
> > The 528 is really part of the current maintenance model for BMWs -

lots
> > of electronics and exacting tolerances. It's not like an old

clunker
> > that won't bother you if you detect a few imperfections with it.

They
> > will bother your daughter.
> >
> > The ideal used car for a youngster is one that is very tolerant of

wear
> > and tear and allows the youngster to try their hand at fixing or at
> > least learn a relatively inexpensive lessons about driving, car
> > maintenance and out-of-warranty part replacement costs. IMO, the

528
> > is bit too complex and a bit big for a first car.

I tend to agree.

> My feelings match your statements. My first preference for a new

driver is
> a Volvo. Handling isn't in the same league but crash survivability

is
> higher. I've been in wrecks in two Volvos and four BMW's, and sorry

to say
> but a Volvo is a tank in a wreck. The BMW's are much more able to

avoid
> wrecks due to their superior handling but can a sixteen year old

avail
> themselves of that ability?

Well, there are a few children of BMW CCA club members I know who are
*excellent* in terms of that ability. The reason is simple: we train
them. Doesn't matter whether they're driving an M3 or a Cavalier; we
can teach them what their car is able to do and how *they* can do it.

There is the BMW CCA Foundation's "Street Survivor" school for teens
that appears in various places around the country as well as a number
of local-chapter-sponsored handling schools for *anyone* offering
nearly the same training. If you've never been through this kind of
formal training yourself, take one *with her*. You'll both love it.
[If you end up with a Volvo for her, we can show her what it will do.
Having owned and sold Volvos, I know they're remarkable handlers for
having a solid axle rear.]

> my BMW history
> 1973 2002 tii (why oh why did I sell this car?)

Because they rust. Don't ask me how I know.

> 1982 or 81? 325e (big mistake)

Had to be an '84, at least.

> 198? 528i (rock solid workhorse)

'80 or '81; last of the E12s. If you liked it, you'd *love* an E28
('82-'88 5 Series). So why don't you track down a 528e for her? You
can get them in excellent shape for ~$4-5K and quite serviceable ones
are around for ~$2K. Not all that old; well known and simple quirks
that even a fumblethumbs like me can fix. Parts readily available and
relatively cheap.

> 1983 633 Csi w/ a five speed (they don't come much prettier)

Unless you like 4-doors. OTOH, if you're as intimate with this one as
I think you may be, you'd probably be delighted to find essentially the
same mechanicals (and many identical *parts*) underneath the '83-'88
533 and 535. OK; so I'm biased. I've got an '88 535is (my third 535is
and fourth E28). I love it for all the same reasons you loved all of
yours.

> Obviously I like the old ones. All the techno crap on this 97 scares

me
> just a bit.

So run away. Hit ebay for an E28 and then we'll get you all the links
to the great E28 community.
--
C.R. Krieger

Old February 4th 05, 08:08 PM
RS990

"Michael"

> Most Americans can't parallel park worth a flip.

I used to work in an office which looked out over the parking spaces in the
street below, and I can tell you that most Brit's can't parallel park worth
a flip. :-)

Old February 4th 05, 11:03 PM
The Malt Hound

"RS990" > wrote in message
> "Michael"
>>
>> Most Americans can't parallel park worth a flip.
>>

> I used to work in an office which looked out over the parking spaces
> in the street below, and I can tell you that most Brit's can't
> parallel park worth a flip. :-)

and what the hell is "worth a flip" anyway?

Must be like "worth a ****" in 'merican. I guess the Brits are
flippin' ****? :-)

--Fred W

Old February 5th 05, 01:38 AM
Dan Drake

On Fri, 4 Feb 2005 18:03:31 -0500, "The Malt Hound" <Malt_Hound@*no
spam please*yahoo.com> wrote:

>"RS990" > wrote in message
>> "Michael"
>>>
>>> Most Americans can't parallel park worth a flip.

>> I used to work in an office which looked out over the parking spaces
>> in the street below, and I can tell you that most Brit's can't
>> parallel park worth a flip. :-)
>>

>and what the hell is "worth a flip" anyway?

In the US, "Flip" is a derogatory term for a Filipino, but I don't
think that the value of one of those has anything to do with parallel
parking.

IMHFO, fewer and fewer people these days in the US or the UK have any
awareness at all of the geometry of vehicle wheels and what that means
for driving one. I am almost at the point where I've got over it.
There's nothing you can do about it, resistance is futile.

We are faced with a future on the roads where things like women
driving SUVs while on cell phones or doing their makeup and who cannot
use their turn signals because they don't have a free hand to do so
are considered normal. It is starting to be accepted and I, for one,
have learned that I must accept it. The idiots have won. We must
accept it and move on.
--
Dan Drake
Old February 5th 05, 03:15 PM
Frank Kemper

"Michael" > haute in die
Tasten:

> Not to mention knocking down the parking meters...got those little
> puppies? I don't remember seeing any in either the UK or Europe.

We used to have them in large numbers in Germany, until the administration
realised that mainenance and collecting the money is too expensive. Now we
either have a sign saying that you are allowed to park here for one hour,
and every car owner has a so called "parking disc" in his car, a thing made
out of cardboard which you can set to the arrival time.

See picture he
http://www.spektraldruck-bodamer.de/...arkscheibe.jpg

Or we have an automatic vendor machine which sells you (ridiculously
priced) parking vouchers. One hour parking in downtown city of Munich costs
you three dollars. Without guard or security of course.

Frank

> My wife will simply pass up a parking slot to avoid parallel parking.
> Most Americans can't parallel park worth a flip.

Being able to parallel park is mandatory in Germany to pass the drivers
license practical test. But many people who do not live in large cities do
not have many practise in this.

Frank

Citroen - Made in Trance
Old February 5th 05, 03:32 PM
Frank Kemper

Dan Drake > haute in die Tasten:

> We are faced with a future on the roads where things like women
> driving SUVs while on cell phones or doing their makeup and who cannot
> use their turn signals because they don't have a free hand to do so
> are considered normal.

Some women do not need an SUV to behave like Idiots. Today I was buying
some vegetables at a vegetables stand in a residential area, and I was
going back to my car, when suddenly a blonde woman drove her E60 touring
with the nose on the sidewalk. The car stood there in a 45 degree ankle to
the kerbline, which was annoying, because currently we have masses of
frozen snow piling up near the sidewalk so that you have to watch your
step. She stood there with her car, blocking the sidewalk almost entirely,
engine running and stuffed around in her handbag. So I gently knocked on
the fender of the car to make her take notice of me. She looked at me, and
I told her to give way. She said, "no I just need a moment to buy some
veggies", shut off the engine and left the car. The parking gap which the
car occupied, was large enough to park away the car correctly, but
obviously she was too stupid and too lazy to do it. Okay, I could pass by,
but when I passed the scene two minutes later with my car, I saw two women
with strollers who simply could not get through. I opened the windows and
said to them "Okay, go ahead, kick some dents in the car. The lady is down
there buying some food, and she's too lazy to store away her car properly!"

Don't know if they followed my advice, but dumb sluts like her are the
reason why many people think bad about BMW drivers.

Frank

Citroen - Made in Trance
Old February 5th 05, 04:06 PM
GRL

This man is absolutely correct. A better bet is a nice used Camry, Accord,
or Corolla. Something very unlikely to be breaking all the time and leave
them stranded and/or with a fat repair bill. Come to think of it, 1st
generation LS400's are in your price range and are extremely reliable cars.

- GRL

Old February 5th 05, 04:16 PM
Deep

Here Here...

My BIGGEST pet peeve is idiots who can't park properly... like parking too
close to you car... I know they had to have hit my car with their door to
get out... I just silently get into my car, while protecting my door with my
keys in my hand ;-) If they happen to scratch their car, oh well... they
parked to close and I'm sure hit my car...

Deep

"Frank Kemper" > wrote in message
> Dan Drake > haute in die Tasten:
>
> > We are faced with a future on the roads where things like women
> > driving SUVs while on cell phones or doing their makeup and who cannot
> > use their turn signals because they don't have a free hand to do so
> > are considered normal.

> Some women do not need an SUV to behave like Idiots. Today I was buying
> some vegetables at a vegetables stand in a residential area, and I was
> going back to my car, when suddenly a blonde woman drove her E60 touring
> with the nose on the sidewalk. The car stood there in a 45 degree ankle to
> the kerbline, which was annoying, because currently we have masses of
> frozen snow piling up near the sidewalk so that you have to watch your
> step. She stood there with her car, blocking the sidewalk almost entirely,
> engine running and stuffed around in her handbag. So I gently knocked on
> the fender of the car to make her take notice of me. She looked at me, and
> I told her to give way. She said, "no I just need a moment to buy some
> veggies", shut off the engine and left the car. The parking gap which the
> car occupied, was large enough to park away the car correctly, but
> obviously she was too stupid and too lazy to do it. Okay, I could pass by,
> but when I passed the scene two minutes later with my car, I saw two women
> with strollers who simply could not get through. I opened the windows and
> said to them "Okay, go ahead, kick some dents in the car. The lady is down
> there buying some food, and she's too lazy to store away her car

properly!"

> Don't know if they followed my advice, but dumb sluts like her are the
> reason why many people think bad about BMW drivers.
>
> Frank
>
> --
> please replace spam-muelleimer with fk-newsgroups for e-mail contact
>
> Citroen - Made in Trance

528i vs 530i vs 540i USA Versions FSJ BMW 37 January 16th 05 06:38 PM
1979 BMW 528I Any Info? mrchris BMW 1 January 2nd 05 01:18 PM
97 528i Runs hot then cool WHWHITE BMW 3 January 2nd 05 04:33 AM
528i Steering issue/questions Jeff BMW 1 October 6th 04 11:37 PM