Experience at Honda dealer

Old November 26th 05, 05:57 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.honda

Default Experience at Honda dealer

I went last week to a Honda dealer to trade in my car for a new Accord
Value Pack (VP, base model). I was surprised by all their tactics to
get the most out of my money. I don't blame the salesperson because he
was nice and helpful, but I think the sales manager went a little too
far in his methods. I also have to say that after the deal was done,
they were all nice guys and very helpful with all the process. I'm
going to enumerate the things I consider bad tactics because they were
just too many:

1) When I told them I wanted the Value Pack, the manager said that it
had no power windows. That I better choose the LX or EX. That's not
true.

2) When I came back next day he said that VP had no Cruise Control. I
checked the car I wanted to buy and I noticed the cruise control was
there.

3) When we were negotiating the price he showed me the invoice price, I
said the invoice price I saw at edmunds.com was lower. When he noticed
I was not accepting that price he showed me that there was about $200
marketing charge and accepted to remove it. Nothing bad about this part
because I think dealers usually try to add these hidden charges without
telling customers.

4) After negotiating the price for my trade in and the price of the
Accord VP, he came with a blank page (where all the totals are
calculated) for me to sign. I said I wanted to see the final numbers
before I sign the page. I said I cannot sign a blank sheet for them
later to add the totals. They accepted.

5) Then he came with the same sheet with a total amount higher than
what we negotiated. I told them that we had to subtract the amount I
get from my trade in. At this time the manager pretended to be
exasperated with me, like if I was asking for too much. He said that he
would do it later and refused to write it in the sheet. So I took the
pen and had to do the subtraction in front of him and underlined the
final amount. He accepted that amount.

6) At about 9:00 PM (they were already closed but there were still a
few customers finalizing their deals), I was tired but happy when the
manager brought the paper work describing my monthly payments. Let me
say that I have very good credit (over 700), and the manager told me he
was going to run my information with about 15 banks and get me the best
deal. Not true, he got me financing with Honda. How can he run my
information with 15 banks and come with a loan from honda financeing?
Maybe I'm missing something here. Anyway he got me 6.6% interest which
I consider too high but I still accepted. Maybe I should have got the
loan with my credit union.

7) He showed my monthly payments at about $35 over what I estimated,
and handed me a pen to sign. I asked me how can it be so high? Then he
said I was getting the 7 years/100K miles warranty. When I insisted in
how much it costed, he said $1600. He said if I don't take the warranty
I'm taking a big risk if the car breaks. I asked him how can he tell me
these are the best cars in the market and now he's telling me that I'm
taking a big risk because they can break. Finnally he accepted to
remove the warranty and I got the payment amount I wanted.

I remember at a Chevrolet dealer in 1998 I had a very good experience
buying my chevy Malibu, I still remember the name of the Chevy sales
person (Mike), I can't believe at Honda these guys gave me such a hard
time.

After the negotiation, the manager and sales person were very nice and
helpful.

Old November 26th 05, 06:08 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.honda

This was a great history for the archives. Good for you for
taking hardly any junk off these losers. I /do/ begrudge
them saying one thing then doing another /several/ times in
the process you describe. It's some kind of harassment,
albeit I suppose mostly legal. Point being, it's aggravating
dealing with salespeople like this. Surely there are better.

Old November 26th 05, 06:19 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.honda

pichula wrote:

> I remember at a Chevrolet dealer in 1998 I had a very good experience
> buying my chevy Malibu, I still remember the name of the Chevy sales
> person (Mike), I can't believe at Honda these guys gave me such a hard
> time.
>
> After the negotiation, the manager and sales person were very nice and
> helpful.

Just remember that every car manufacturer has good and bad dealers. You
were unfortunate to have landed at a bad Honda dealer.

Old November 26th 05, 06:43 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.honda

pichula wrote:

> [...]
>
> 7) He showed my monthly payments at about $35 over what I estimated,
> and handed me a pen to sign. I asked me how can it be so high? Then he
> said I was getting the 7 years/100K miles warranty. When I insisted in
> how much it costed, he said $1600. He said if I don't take the warranty
> I'm taking a big risk if the car breaks. I asked him how can he tell me
> these are the best cars in the market and now he's telling me that I'm
> taking a big risk because they can break. Finnally he accepted to
> remove the warranty and I got the payment amount I wanted.
>
> I remember at a Chevrolet dealer in 1998 I had a very good experience
> buying my chevy Malibu, I still remember the name of the Chevy sales
> person (Mike), I can't believe at Honda these guys gave me such a hard
> time.
>
> After the negotiation, the manager and sales person were very nice and

-------------------------------

Generally, this old joke is still true:

QUESTION: How can you tell if a car salesman is lying to you???

ANSWER: His lips are moving.

'Curly'
Old November 26th 05, 07:03 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.honda

> You have three transactions: new car sale, old car sale, and money
> sale. Letting one guy quarterback all three of them is crazy.

Not always true. For example if he really needs the sale he may be
prepared to reduce the sales price a little IF he gets the finance as well.

As to the trade-in, you may get a few more dollars with a private sale,
but sell to the dealer and no haggling etc

Old November 26th 05, 07:38 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.honda

"Bozo" wrote

>> You have three transactions: new car sale, old car sale, and money sale.
>> Letting one guy quarterback all three of them is crazy.
>>

> Not always true. For example if he really needs the sale he may be
> prepared to reduce the sales price a little IF he gets the finance as
> well.
>
> As to the trade-in, you may get a few more dollars with a private sale,
> but sell to the dealer and no haggling etc

I think what Elmo is referring to is the principle of first negotiating the
new car price (without telling the salesperson you have a trade-in), THEN
negotiate the price of the trade-in.

Old November 26th 05, 07:54 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.honda

>Then he said I was getting the 7 years/100K miles warranty. When I insisted
>in
> how much it costed, he said $1600. He said if I don't take the warranty

just FYI, if you ARE interested in that warranty, you can get it for about
HALF that price on either www.hondacarewarranty.com or
www.curryhondacare.com . in my accord I'm getting the 8 year 120k warranty
and its under 1,000 (I believe like 970 or something) this can be bought
anytime up to 6,000 miles on the car. (please note I"m not in any way
affiliated with honda or honda care or either of these 2 sites, just trying
to save someone some money) enjoy your car!

Old November 26th 05, 10:48 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.honda

On 26 Nov 2005 09:57:57 -0800, "pichula" > wrote:

>I went last week to a Honda dealer to trade in my car for a new Accord
>Value Pack (VP, base model). I was surprised by all their tactics to
>get the most out of my money. I don't blame the salesperson because he
>was nice and helpful, but I think the sales manager went a little too
>far in his methods. I also have to say that after the deal was done,
>they were all nice guys and very helpful with all the process. I'm
>going to enumerate the things I consider bad tactics because they were
>just too many:

You are right, this is way too many things. At least they backed down
relatively easy.

RE #6. I don't think you got too bad a deal on the financing. 30
year mortgages are about 6% now so 6.6% on a car loan doesn't sound
too bad. You might have saved a few tenths from your credit union -
it would have been good to have gotten a rate quote from them before
you ventured into a dealership.

Others mentioned keeping the new car and trade-in deals separate.
Part of that is knowing not only what is a good price on new car
(which you seem to have done) but also knowing what is a fair price on
the trade-in, what Car Max would pay you for it, and what is a fair
private party sale price. Even if you aren't willing to sell it
yourself, you can use these facts in your negotiations.

>1) When I told them I wanted the Value Pack, the manager said that it
>had no power windows. That I better choose the LX or EX. That's not
>true.

Lying is bad.

>2) When I came back next day he said that VP had no Cruise Control. I
>checked the car I wanted to buy and I noticed the cruise control was
>there.

Lying is bad.

>3) When we were negotiating the price he showed me the invoice price, I
>said the invoice price I saw at edmunds.com was lower. When he noticed
>I was not accepting that price he showed me that there was about $200
>marketing charge and accepted to remove it. Nothing bad about this part
>because I think dealers usually try to add these hidden charges without
>telling customers.

Burglars usually try to break into your house, but that doesn't mean
it's not bad. Marketing (i.e. advertising) is part of their overhead,
and a discretionary part at that. Why should you be paying them to
advertise to you? It would be slightly more reasonable for them to
charge you a heating charge to keep the dealership building warm.

>4) After negotiating the price for my trade in and the price of the
>Accord VP, he came with a blank page (where all the totals are
>calculated) for me to sign. I said I wanted to see the final numbers
>before I sign the page. I said I cannot sign a blank sheet for them
>later to add the totals. They accepted.

Tell them you will do that if they are willing to sign a blank check
on the dealership account for you to fill in later to

>5) Then he came with the same sheet with a total amount higher than
>what we negotiated. I told them that we had to subtract the amount I
>get from my trade in. At this time the manager pretended to be
>exasperated with me, like if I was asking for too much. He said that he
>would do it later and refused to write it in the sheet. So I took the
>pen and had to do the subtraction in front of him and underlined the
>final amount. He accepted that amount.

It would have been so much easier if you had just signed the blank
one.

>6) At about 9:00 PM (they were already closed but there were still a
>few customers finalizing their deals), I was tired but happy when the
>manager brought the paper work describing my monthly payments. Let me
>say that I have very good credit (over 700), and the manager told me he
>was going to run my information with about 15 banks and get me the best
>deal. Not true, he got me financing with Honda. How can he run my
>information with 15 banks and come with a loan from honda financeing?
>Maybe I'm missing something here. Anyway he got me 6.6% interest which
>I consider too high but I still accepted. Maybe I should have got the
>loan with my credit union.

I think you got lucky on this. Then again you probably would have
walked if it was 8%.

>7) He showed my monthly payments at about $35 over what I estimated,
>and handed me a pen to sign. I asked me how can it be so high? Then he
>said I was getting the 7 years/100K miles warranty. When I insisted in
>how much it costed, he said $1600. He said if I don't take the warranty
>I'm taking a big risk if the car breaks. I asked him how can he tell me
>these are the best cars in the market and now he's telling me that I'm
>taking a big risk because they can break. Finnally he accepted to
>remove the warranty and I got the payment amount I wanted.

They think you will let down your guard when you think the deal is
almost complete. Many buyers can't really figure out what a loan
payment should be, so it is an good chance to cheat them one last
time. These guys are sleaze balls.

>I remember at a Chevrolet dealer in 1998 I had a very good experience
>buying my chevy Malibu, I still remember the name of the Chevy sales
>person (Mike), I can't believe at Honda these guys gave me such a hard
>time.

I have dealt with several Honda dealers who were totally straight and
honest in their dealings. It is not impossible,

>After the negotiation, the manager and sales person were very nice and
>helpful.

Just be glad you aren't his dog on a night like that.

Old November 27th 05, 12:43 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.honda

In article >,
(Gordon McGrew) wrote:

> [...]

> >remove the warranty and I got the payment amount I wanted.

> They think you will let down your guard when you think the deal is
> almost complete. Many buyers can't really figure out what a loan
> payment should be, so it is an good chance to cheat them one last
> time. These guys are sleaze balls.
>
> >I remember at a Chevrolet dealer in 1998 I had a very good experience
> >buying my chevy Malibu, I still remember the name of the Chevy sales
> >person (Mike), I can't believe at Honda these guys gave me such a hard
> >time.

> I have dealt with several Honda dealers who were totally straight and
> honest in their dealings. It is not impossible,
>
> >After the negotiation, the manager and sales person were very nice and
> >helpful.

> Just be glad you aren't his dog on a night like that.

Hello,
Thanks for your excellent post. If you ever buy another car, get the best
deal that you can get at two or more Honda dealerships. Don't ever sign
any papers until you think about it for at least one or two days. The
salesman will try to make you believe that they will sell that car you
wanted during the next two days--therefore, just say, "Go ahead and sell
it since I am sure that is not the only new Honda that is in this city."
In most cases, that car you wanted will still be unsold for at least two
days. Even if it is sold, buy another one from that dealer or another one.
Jason

--
NEWSGROUP SUBSCRIBERS MOTTO
We do NOT respect the subscribers that enjoy criticizing people.

Old November 27th 05, 02:11 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.honda

I think you got reamed on the interest rate. 2 weeks ago I got 5.74%
after the rate was increased through my credit union. Honda financing
could not come close to that rate

--Nicholas

pichula wrote:
> [...]
>
> 7) He showed my monthly payments at about $35 over what I estimated,
> and handed me a pen to sign. I asked me how can it be so high? Then he
> said I was getting the 7 years/100K miles warranty. When I insisted in
> how much it costed, he said $1600. He said if I don't take the warranty
> I'm taking a big risk if the car breaks. I asked him how can he tell me
> these are the best cars in the market and now he's telling me that I'm
> taking a big risk because they can break. Finnally he accepted to
> remove the warranty and I got the payment amount I wanted.
>
> I remember at a Chevrolet dealer in 1998 I had a very good experience
> buying my chevy Malibu, I still remember the name of the Chevy sales
> person (Mike), I can't believe at Honda these guys gave me such a hard
> time.
>
> After the negotiation, the manager and sales person were very nice and

What to do If a dealer does a bad alignment. chris777 via CarKB.com Technology 5 April 20th 05 04:16 PM
Jeep, Chrysler quality and cust. service - YUCK Birdbrain13 Chrysler 18 February 19th 05 02:31 PM
300C order problems [email protected] Chrysler 7 January 21st 05 04:55 PM
Lousy Experience at Dealer J Koli Audi 7 October 26th 04 07:15 PM
Is Honda brake fluid really superior to its "clone"? Daniel Honda 6 October 26th 04 05:11 PM