Is it for sure the Catalytic Converter?

Old July 12th 05, 06:16 AM
G-Ram

Default Is it for sure the Catalytic Converter?

I have had an issue with my 95 Jetta that is quite honestly driving me
crazy. I will give you as much history as possible and god bless anyone
that can really help me.

I bought the car a few years ago. It ran fine when I bought it. When it
is started, about 20 or so minutes in I will see the engine light come
on. It has done this since day one. Gradually over time I have noticed
that the car runs fine when the light is off but as soon as that light
comes in the performance goes down the tubes. It bogs down heavily and
sort of sputters. However once that light goes back off the performance
returns right back to fine.

So I take the car into the dealer and they tell me that it is a timing
issue and they will look into it. THey call me up and say the timing
belt needs to be replaced. I did argue with the guy for a bit as the
fix didnt match the issues in my opinion....either way I went ahead and
got the belt replaced. I get my car back...same thing. 4 visits and
$600 later the car is still not working.

The car is in a state now that the light is on 80% of the time and it
dies now. From time to time it will snuff out completely when I go to
push on the pedal. However as soon as I stop the car it will run fine
again.

SO I have been told it is the catalytic converter....and from any posts
I have looked at that address issues with catalytic converter on this
car on this year the issue match almost to the T.

What does anyone who knows more than me about this car (which will be
almost all of you) have any insight on this?

Things to note: It has a brand new rotor, cap, plugs, plug wires, and
fuel pump. The timing is correct and as far as I know, the distributor
does not need to be replaced...even though the dealership mentioned
that as a fix...but after the assistance I have got from them I am
going to take my chances on the net.

Old July 12th 05, 06:52 AM
Harry

"G-Ram" > wrote

> The car is in a state now that the light is on 80% of the time and it
> dies now. From time to time it will snuff out completely when I go to
> push on the pedal. However as soon as I stop the car it will run fine
> again.

Obviously, since the check engine light goes on, you need to look at a menu
of what the computer recognizes in the engine for the light to come on and
look at the most feasable possibilities. Are you sure this couldn't be
something as simple as a bad or bad ignition wire that works intermittently.
Perhaps when it is running at it's worst it may (don't know from the little
you wrote) be running on 3 cylinders? (or even 2) Have you changed your
ignition wires? I had a Golf that ran terrible that was simply due to a
failed and intermittent ignition wire to cylinder 4.

You may have blown your catalytic converter because the engine may have been
driven with fuel going through it from the bad running, combusted in the
catalytic converter and fried it. That is the only link I see to your
catalytic converter.

If you have on your service order your problem of "engine light coming on",
charging you all that money and not fixing it-I would demand either they fix
it since they misdiagnozed it or your money back. Personally, I would not
let them get away with it even if I filed a small claims court claim. Since
the engine ran fine at times, this had NOTHING to do with the timing belt,
for instance skipping or jumping a cog. It would run ALL the time poorly
like that, if it were possibly the timing belt.

> SO I have been told it is the catalytic converter....and from any posts

In my opinion, the catalytic converter is collateral damage and not related
to the problem. It very well need replacement though.

Harry

Old July 12th 05, 01:43 PM
Joseph Meehan

G-Ram wrote:
>I have had an issue with my 95 Jetta that is quite honestly driving me
> crazy. I will give you as much history as possible and god bless
> anyone that can really help me.

I agree with Harry, but I am interested in "I have been told it is the
catalytic converter." Who told you and what did they form that opinion on?

--
Joseph Meehan

Dia duit

Old July 12th 05, 03:41 PM
PabloRena ---> AnalProbe

"G-Ram" > wrote in message
oups.com...
> I have had an issue with my 95 Jetta that is quite honestly driving me
> crazy. I will give you as much history as possible and god bless anyone
> that can really help me.
>
> I bought the car a few years ago. It ran fine when I bought it. When it
> is started, about 20 or so minutes in I will see the engine light come
> on. It has done this since day one. Gradually over time I have noticed
> that the car runs fine when the light is off but as soon as that light
> comes in the performance goes down the tubes. It bogs down heavily and
> sort of sputters. However once that light goes back off the performance
> returns right back to fine.
>
> So I take the car into the dealer and they tell me that it is a timing
> issue and they will look into it. THey call me up and say the timing
> belt needs to be replaced. I did argue with the guy for a bit as the
> fix didnt match the issues in my opinion....either way I went ahead and
> got the belt replaced. I get my car back...same thing. 4 visits and
> $600 later the car is still not working.
>
> The car is in a state now that the light is on 80% of the time and it
> dies now. From time to time it will snuff out completely when I go to
> push on the pedal. However as soon as I stop the car it will run fine
> again.
>
> SO I have been told it is the catalytic converter....and from any posts
> I have looked at that address issues with catalytic converter on this
> car on this year the issue match almost to the T.
>
> What does anyone who knows more than me about this car (which will be
> almost all of you) have any insight on this?
>
> Things to note: It has a brand new rotor, cap, plugs, plug wires, and
> fuel pump. The timing is correct and as far as I know, the distributor
> does not need to be replaced...even though the dealership mentioned
> that as a fix...but after the assistance I have got from them I am
> going to take my chances on the net.

You must be the fourth or fifth poster that's had the same problem. I had
exactly the same issue with my 1995 Jetta GLS. It started with the engine
light going on then off, accompanied by stuttering and **** poor
performance. As soon as the light went off, performance returned. I tried
changing the distributor cap and rotor, cleaning the throttle plate,
replacing the plug wires, and overal there was 0% improvement. If fact, it
got worse to the point where the check engine light was on 100% of the time.

The engine kept running crappily, but then I started hearing a rattling
sound coming from the exhaust system, after driving it for 16 months or so
with the above stated poor performance. It turned out that one or more of
the screens in the catalytic converter had broken off and was essentially
blocking exhaust flow. This may have been caused by the distributor which
it turns out was the cause of the check engine light coming on, then off,
then permanently on.

My diagnosis to you? Have the distributor and catalytic converter replaced.
Don't buy the dealer recommend catalytic converter because they will charge
you $1200 to $1400 and its complete theft. Order a replacement Techtonics
catalytic converter from Rapid Parts, have the dealer or your mechanic
install it (and a new distributor) and you should be back in the running.
Total bill with labor, around $800. If you do it all yourself, then maybe
$400 to $500.

One interesting point about the distributor, apparently the Hall Effect
sensor that measures/senses engine rotation speed fails quite often on these
things, but since its an integral component, you can't just replace the
sensor, but you have to buy and install the entire distributor. The sensor
is probably $0.25 of electronic/magnetic components, but you'll still need
to buy the entire distributor for $180 or whatever they cost now.

PS: I think your timing belt was okay, but now you don't have to worry
about that, right?

Old July 12th 05, 05:02 PM
Papa

How is your oil pressure? Low oil pressure could be a sign of bad main
bearings. Any unusual engine noises? How many miles on your car?

Old July 12th 05, 06:07 PM
Brian Running

> You must be the fourth or fifth poster that's had the same problem. I had
> exactly the same issue with my 1995 Jetta GLS. It started with the engine
> light going on then off, accompanied by stuttering and **** poor
> performance. As soon as the light went off, performance returned. I tried
> changing the distributor cap and rotor, cleaning the throttle plate,
> replacing the plug wires, and overal there was 0% improvement. If fact, it
> got worse to the point where the check engine light was on 100% of the time.
>
> The engine kept running crappily, but then I started hearing a rattling
> sound coming from the exhaust system, after driving it for 16 months or so
> with the above stated poor performance. It turned out that one or more of
> the screens in the catalytic converter had broken off and was essentially
> blocking exhaust flow. This may have been caused by the distributor which
> it turns out was the cause of the check engine light coming on, then off,
> then permanently on.

Incredible -- you've just perfectly described what's been going on with
my Jetta. Engine light on and off (for about a year), then full on (for
about three or four months), followed by rattling from the exhaust
system (began about a week ago), now the engine stumbles from idle
(first noticed it yesterday). I was figuring a loose heat shield on the
catcon, but your description is eerily accurate.

The engine code reader had said "high voltage reading from the coolant
temp sensor," and since it wasn't overheating, I let it go. I suppose
I'll pay the high price now for ignoring the warning.
Old July 12th 05, 09:21 PM
G-Ram

I will share my fix with you when and if it every happens.

Old July 12th 05, 11:04 PM
Dave

"G-Ram" > wrote:

>I have had an issue with my 95 Jetta that is quite honestly driving me
>crazy. I will give you as much history as possible and god bless anyone
>that can really help me.

fix...but after the assistance I have got from them I am
>going to take my chances on the net.

>I bought the car a few years ago. It ran fine when I bought it. When it
>is started, about 20 or so minutes in I will see the engine light come
>on. It has done this since day one. Gradually over time I have noticed

Sounds like what happened to me and it was the 02 sensor.
Old July 13th 05, 01:53 AM
Tony

"Brian Running" > wrote

> I was figuring a loose heat shield on the catcon, but your description is
> eerily accurate.

If it isn't catalytic converter breakage causing blocking be prepared to buy
yet another cat if you run it long as the poor running will destroy the new
one too. By process of elimination everything else should be tried or
eliminated first

If I thought this, since the cat is most likely destoryed anyway and you are
going to replace it anyway, having the tools to do it - before I would
install replacement cat - I would cut the existing cat open with an air
cutter - removing the heat shield - a flap bending the flap open cut into
the cat- remove any broken parts if any - and mig weld it back shut cleared
of blocking fragments - (an alternative to this though would leak but would
tell the answer would be to pop rivet some sheet metal over the access hole
after removing fragments - it only needs to be run a few minutes to give the
answer) - run the car again for short period since it has no cat effect.
If the car now runs correctly - simple fix of replacing the cat - if it
still runs poorly - you saved yourself another cat expense by damaging a new
cat - unless you had it immediately repaired, finding the new cat did not
fix it. . It should be replaced anyway. Cats can be fairly inexpensive if
you do the work yourself. I don't use name brands. On an A2 I just put in a
Golf a cat/front pipe (cat welded on front downpipe) that cost 97 dollars
(Maremont) it passed inspection with flying colors.

Harry

Old July 13th 05, 05:16 AM
mr nobody

In article >, Dave says...

>"G-Ram" > wrote:
>
>>I have had an issue with my 95 Jetta that is quite honestly driving me
>>crazy. I will give you as much history as possible and god bless anyone
>>that can really help me.
>>

> fix...but after the assistance I have got from them I am
>>going to take my chances on the net.

>>I bought the car a few years ago. It ran fine when I bought it. When it
>>is started, about 20 or so minutes in I will see the engine light come
>>on. It has done this since day one. Gradually over time I have noticed
>>

>Sounds like what happened to me and it was the 02 sensor.

I am simply amazed that you are the first person to mention the most obvious
culprit.... at least to check or replace 1st.