Suggestions on long lived 4x4 other than Toyota and Honda

Old February 23rd 08, 12:02 AM posted to rec.autos.4x4
ToddAndMargo

Default Suggestions on long lived 4x4 other than Toyota and Honda

Hi All,

It is time for me to get a new used 4wd car. I
like the Toyota Highlander and somewhat fond of the
Honda CRV.

Problem: the resale value on Toyota and Honda is
through the roof. I can not afford them.

Is there another 4wd manufacturer that is similarly
long lived as the Toyota Highlander and Honda CRV
WITHOUT the extremely high resale problem? (Problem
for the buyer; benefit for the seller.)

Many thanks,
-T
Old February 23rd 08, 12:19 PM posted to rec.autos.4x4
Adam Kb2jpd FDNY*EMSC Owner 1996 NAS D1

On Feb 22, 7:02*pm, ToddAndMargo >
wrote:
> Hi All,
>
> * * It is time for me to get a new used 4wd car. *I
> like the Toyota Highlander and somewhat fond of the
> Honda CRV.
>
> * * Problem: the resale value on Toyota and Honda is
> through the roof. *I can not afford them.
>
> * * Is there another 4wd manufacturer that is similarly
> long lived as the Toyota Highlander and Honda CRV
> WITHOUT the extremely high resale problem? *(Problem
> for the buyer; benefit for the seller.)
>
> Many thanks,
> -T

There are the Land Rovers especially the Discoverys and the
Highlanders. You can learn more about them from
wwww.landroversonly.com/forums and sees whey are about.

Used D1s are going dirt cheap for as low as $1500.
Old February 24th 08, 03:06 AM posted to rec.autos.4x4
Lon

ToddAndMargo wrote:
> Hi All,
>
> It is time for me to get a new used 4wd car. I
> like the Toyota Highlander and somewhat fond of the
> Honda CRV.
>
> Problem: the resale value on Toyota and Honda is
> through the roof. I can not afford them.
>
> Is there another 4wd manufacturer that is similarly
> long lived as the Toyota Highlander and Honda CRV
> WITHOUT the extremely high resale problem? (Problem
> for the buyer; benefit for the seller.)

Subaru, but they tend to be love em or hate em vehicles.

Both of the ones you mention are crossovers, aka glorified mini-vans
rather than real 4wd vehicles. The Subie will go places neither of
those will go. The Mitsubishi Montero Sport and Isuzu Trooper tend to
be a bit less expensive, but both of those are far more trucklike, being
real 4wd than either the Highlander or CRV. If you are looking for a
real 4x4, the Jeep Cherokee or even Grand Cherokees tend to be a lot
cheaper used. The problem is finding a good used one that hasnt been
pounded to death and not overly taken care of--and both are a bit hard
core for most folks. A used Audi will also go pretty much any where
the CRV or Highlander will go as long as it has enough ground clearance,
and is far safer on road than the CRV in particular.
Old February 24th 08, 03:08 AM posted to rec.autos.4x4
Lon

Adam Kb2jpd FDNY*EMSC Owner 1996 NAS D1 wrote:
> On Feb 22, 7:02 pm, ToddAndMargo >
> wrote:
>> Hi All,
>>
>> It is time for me to get a new used 4wd car. I
>> like the Toyota Highlander and somewhat fond of the
>> Honda CRV.
>>
>> Problem: the resale value on Toyota and Honda is
>> through the roof. I can not afford them.
>>
>> Is there another 4wd manufacturer that is similarly
>> long lived as the Toyota Highlander and Honda CRV
>> WITHOUT the extremely high resale problem? (Problem
>> for the buyer; benefit for the seller.)
>>
>> Many thanks,
>> -T

> There are the Land Rovers especially the Discoverys and the
> Highlanders. You can learn more about them from
> wwww.landroversonly.com/forums and sees whey are about.
>
> Used D1s are going dirt cheap for as low as $1500.

The Land Rovers can be an even bigger gamble than a used Jeep
Cherokee/Grand. Plus the repairs are done by dealers that serve wine
and cheese...
Old February 24th 08, 10:49 AM posted to rec.autos.4x4

On Feb 23, 10:08*pm, Lon > wrote:
> Adam Kb2jpd FDNY*EMSC Owner 1996 NAS D1 wrote:
>

> > On Feb 22, 7:02 pm, ToddAndMargo >
> > wrote:
> >> Hi All,

> >> * * It is time for me to get a new used 4wd car. *I
> >> like the Toyota Highlander and somewhat fond of the
> >> Honda CRV.

> >> * * Problem: the resale value on Toyota and Honda is
> >> through the roof. *I can not afford them.

> >> * * Is there another 4wd manufacturer that is similarly
> >> long lived as the Toyota Highlander and Honda CRV
> >> WITHOUT the extremely high resale problem? *(Problem
> >> for the buyer; benefit for the seller.)

> >> Many thanks,
> >> -T

> > There are the Land Rovers especially the Discoverys and the
> > Highlanders. You can learn more about them from
> > wwww.landroversonly.com/forumsand sees whey are about.

> > Used D1s are going dirt cheap for as low as $1500.

> The Land Rovers can be an even bigger gamble than a used Jeep
> Cherokee/Grand. * Plus the repairs are done by dealers that serve wine
> and cheese...

Any used vehicle or 4x4 will be a gamble without a proper education of
what to look for, a proper mechanic familiar with the vehicle you are
interested in. Dumb-ass remarks like that above won't help this
individual in his or her search of a good 4x4. Many Land Rovers are
out in the street (70% is still out there running) not by dealers but
by independent mechanics and self educated owners who learnt what to
do to their valuable 4x4 e investments.

Joining websites such as www.landroversonly.com can only help to
solidify that posters choice in what kind of used 4x4 he or she
desires. Sly quips like wine and cheese dealers dont help.

Old February 24th 08, 11:46 PM posted to rec.autos.4x4
Lon

Adam Kb2jpd FDNY*EMSC Owner 1996 NAS D1 wrote:
> On Feb 23, 10:08 pm, Lon > wrote:
>> Adam Kb2jpd FDNY*EMSC Owner 1996 NAS D1 wrote:

>>> There are the Land Rovers especially the Discoverys and the
>>> Highlanders. You can learn more about them from
>>> wwww.landroversonly.com/forumsand sees whey are about.
>>> Used D1s are going dirt cheap for as low as $1500.

>> The Land Rovers can be an even bigger gamble than a used Jeep
>> Cherokee/Grand. Plus the repairs are done by dealers that serve wine
>> and cheese...

> Any used vehicle or 4x4 will be a gamble without a proper education of
> what to look for, a proper mechanic familiar with the vehicle you are
> interested in. Dumb-ass remarks like that above won't help this
> individual in his or her search of a good 4x4. Many Land Rovers are
> out in the street (70% is still out there running) not by dealers but
> by independent mechanics and self educated owners who learnt what to
> do to their valuable 4x4 e investments.
>
> Joining websites such as www.landroversonly.com can only help to
> solidify that posters choice in what kind of used 4x4 he or she
> desires. Sly quips like wine and cheese dealers dont help.

Lets just say that as much as the Grand Cherokee has a reputation for
being somewhat less than reliable, on average, it is a miracle of
reliability compared to the lean years of the Rover clan. Yes, some
of them run very well and have good mechanics available at modest
prices. So do a few Grand Cherokees, of which I own a rather oddly
reliable and high mileage example. *Neither* of those two would be
something I would recommend for the casual shopper new to the 4x4 scene,
and in particular not to someone apparently interested in the crossovers
like the Highlander or CRV. A new Rover LR2 would be a different
kettle of fish.
Old February 25th 08, 02:57 AM posted to rec.autos.4x4
ToddAndMargo

Lon wrote:
> ToddAndMargo wrote:
>> Hi All,
>>
>> It is time for me to get a new used 4wd car. I
>> like the Toyota Highlander and somewhat fond of the
>> Honda CRV.
>>
>> Problem: the resale value on Toyota and Honda is
>> through the roof. I can not afford them.
>>
>> Is there another 4wd manufacturer that is similarly
>> long lived as the Toyota Highlander and Honda CRV
>> WITHOUT the extremely high resale problem? (Problem
>> for the buyer; benefit for the seller.)

> Subaru, but they tend to be love em or hate em vehicles.
>
> Both of the ones you mention are crossovers, aka glorified mini-vans
> rather than real 4wd vehicles. The Subie will go places neither of
> those will go. The Mitsubishi Montero Sport and Isuzu Trooper tend to
> be a bit less expensive, but both of those are far more trucklike, being
> real 4wd than either the Highlander or CRV. If you are looking for a
> real 4x4, the Jeep Cherokee or even Grand Cherokees tend to be a lot
> cheaper used. The problem is finding a good used one that hasnt been
> pounded to death and not overly taken care of--and both are a bit hard
> core for most folks. A used Audi will also go pretty much any where
> the CRV or Highlander will go as long as it has enough ground clearance,
> and is far safer on road than the CRV in particular.

Thank you! I will avoid the Jeep. (I have heard that you have
to buy one for you and one for your mechanic. And, occasionally,
swap them.) I will look at the Subaru too.

-T
Old February 25th 08, 07:35 PM posted to rec.autos.4x4
Mike Romain

ToddAndMargo wrote:
> Lon wrote:
>> ToddAndMargo wrote:
>>> Hi All,
>>>
>>> It is time for me to get a new used 4wd car. I
>>> like the Toyota Highlander and somewhat fond of the
>>> Honda CRV.
>>>
>>> Problem: the resale value on Toyota and Honda is
>>> through the roof. I can not afford them.
>>>
>>> Is there another 4wd manufacturer that is similarly
>>> long lived as the Toyota Highlander and Honda CRV
>>> WITHOUT the extremely high resale problem? (Problem
>>> for the buyer; benefit for the seller.)

>> Subaru, but they tend to be love em or hate em vehicles.
>>
>> Both of the ones you mention are crossovers, aka glorified mini-vans
>> rather than real 4wd vehicles. The Subie will go places neither of
>> those will go. The Mitsubishi Montero Sport and Isuzu Trooper tend to
>> be a bit less expensive, but both of those are far more trucklike,
>> being real 4wd than either the Highlander or CRV. If you are looking
>> for a real 4x4, the Jeep Cherokee or even Grand Cherokees tend to be a
>> lot cheaper used. The problem is finding a good used one that hasnt
>> been pounded to death and not overly taken care of--and both are a bit
>> hard core for most folks. A used Audi will also go pretty much any
>> where the CRV or Highlander will go as long as it has enough ground
>> clearance, and is far safer on road than the CRV in particular.

> Thank you! I will avoid the Jeep. (I have heard that you have
> to buy one for you and one for your mechanic. And, occasionally,
> swap them.) I will look at the Subaru too.
>
> -T

The Cherokee was the good one. It ran from the early 80's to a couple
years back and go pretty much forever. Ours always got over 24 mpg
highway, so they aren't too bad on fuel for a 4x4.

Ours was still running very strong at 325K km when I had to retire it
for rust issues. It was an 88 and was offroaded on a pretty regular
basis. It needed very little except regular maintenance or things we
broke 'playing'. We owned it for close to ten years. Unfortunately the
rust belt got it.

Off road it was 'very' capable. My wife and I were sitting by a river
in the Deep Canadian Bush having a picnic after running some trails to
have ATV's show up all pumped about 'making' the trail... Until they
saw us sitting there, LOL! A couple of them actually went looking for
the 'other' way we must have come in.

The Cherokee might be more than you need though, it is fairly large.

There are lots of photos of Cherokees out 'playing' in the bush in the
photo albums in my sig line link. Grands also.

Mike
'New' frame in the works for '08. Some Canadian Bush Trip and Build
Photos: http://mikeromainjeeptrips.shutterfly.com
Old February 26th 08, 02:11 AM posted to rec.autos.4x4
Lon

ToddAndMargo wrote:
> Lon wrote:
>> ToddAndMargo wrote:
>>> Hi All,
>>>
>>> It is time for me to get a new used 4wd car. I
>>> like the Toyota Highlander and somewhat fond of the
>>> Honda CRV.
>>>
>>> Problem: the resale value on Toyota and Honda is
>>> through the roof. I can not afford them.
>>>
>>> Is there another 4wd manufacturer that is similarly
>>> long lived as the Toyota Highlander and Honda CRV
>>> WITHOUT the extremely high resale problem? (Problem
>>> for the buyer; benefit for the seller.)

>> Subaru, but they tend to be love em or hate em vehicles.
>>
>> Both of the ones you mention are crossovers, aka glorified mini-vans
>> rather than real 4wd vehicles. The Subie will go places neither of
>> those will go. The Mitsubishi Montero Sport and Isuzu Trooper tend to
>> be a bit less expensive, but both of those are far more trucklike,
>> being real 4wd than either the Highlander or CRV. If you are looking
>> for a real 4x4, the Jeep Cherokee or even Grand Cherokees tend to be a
>> lot cheaper used. The problem is finding a good used one that hasnt
>> been pounded to death and not overly taken care of--and both are a bit
>> hard core for most folks. A used Audi will also go pretty much any
>> where the CRV or Highlander will go as long as it has enough ground
>> clearance, and is far safer on road than the CRV in particular.

> Thank you! I will avoid the Jeep. (I have heard that you have
> to buy one for you and one for your mechanic. And, occasionally,
> swap them.) I will look at the Subaru too.

Don't get me wrong, I own a Grand Cherokee and wouldn't trade it for
anything. However, a genuine 4wd will have some extra hardware that
tends to be heavy and takes extra care and maintenance if your goal is
to get back on road after being off.

What do you want this thing for?

I've taken a '66 MGB on some of the trails around Moab that jeepers are
so proud of. Takes careful wheel placement and a spare muffler or two,
but there really aren't that many places a hard core 4x4 can go that an
Audi with oversized tires can't get in and out of. If you are not that
interested in true no-trail off roading, the genuine machines that can
handle that do have compromises in on-road performance that some folks
don't care for.

Another vehicle just a tad larger than the CRV is the Suzuki crossover.
And if you are looking for a true 4x4, Nissan, Isuzu, and Mitsubishi
have a few that are available used.
Old February 27th 08, 08:52 PM posted to rec.autos.4x4
ToddAndMargo

Lon wrote:

> What do you want this thing for?

Mainly to drive around to customer sites. Three or
four a day. I wanted something comfortable to drive
(not truck like) so that I would not be exhausted
when I arrived. Reasonable gas mileage would be
nice too.

The reason for the 4wd is 1) to cope with the
winter snow (typically 2 to 8") and 2) the occasional
fishing hole at the end of an unimproved dirt
road (they get the fish hatchery trucks down
these roads, so they can't be all that bad).

Thank you for the tips!

-T

Toyota or Honda Built_Well Honda 16 January 4th 06 10:55 AM
How long do stock springs usually last on (94-97) Honda Accord? [email protected] Technology 4 December 7th 05 08:33 PM
How long do stock springs usually last on (94-97) Honda Accord? [email protected] Honda 4 December 7th 05 08:33 PM
Honda vs Toyota ?? Henry Kolesnik Honda 30 May 31st 05 12:06 AM