2004 Saturn Vue V6 is awsome!

Old May 14th 04, 09:34 PM
Ken R

Default 2004 Saturn Vue V6 is awsome!

A few weeks back, my old 1990 dodge sedan died and we started looking for
something to replace it. With our growing family of 5 (and the extra stuff
one must haul as a result) we decided on a smaller SUV and went to a local
Saturn lot that had a good mix used models from various makers. The Subaru
and Honda models were rated the best, so that is what we were looking for.
We discovered that with the current $3500 in incentives, we could get a new
Saturn Vue (4 cylinder manual) for about the same price as a used Subaru or
Honda SUV. After some test drives and after doing a little research, we
decided to go for a new 2004 Saturn Vue and bought the automatic (VTi) 4
cylinder version (my wife could not handle the manual version). The VTI
transmission was a little wierd, and the seats were not quite as comfortable
as other models we tested -- but the kids liked the sunroof, mom loved the
color (electric blue) and I was more-or-less happy with the purchase. I
though I had the car I'd be driving for the next 10 years.

Then the regrets set in. After reading the glowing reviews of the new V6
from a number of defferent sources, I began to wonder what I was missing out
on. So I went back to the Saturn lot and test drove a FWD V6. Well, to
quote Will Smith in one of his blockbuster movies... "Wow, I got to get
myself one of these!"

Thank goodness for Saturn's 30 day/1500 mile exchange policy -- what a deal!

After convincing my wife that the exchange was necessary for my happiness,
we went back to Saturn, found the V6 FWD model we could afford, and a few
hours later I had the car of my dreams. We had to give up a few options
(such as the sunroof, side door beams, and color) and still paid approx
$1800 more for the car, but it was worth every penny. I didn't realize that
the V6 models come with so many extra options as standard equipment --
better wheels, Anti-lock breaks, fog lamps, leather wrapped steering
wheel/accents in addition to the awsome V6. My 2004 Vue is now a classic
Silver, lighning fast, and has the cool CD/MP3 player (the only option above
the base price that I got). And, guess what? My wife likes it better too.
However, but the kids are upset at losing the sunroof. But I have no
regrets.

The 2004 Vue is probably not the best small SUV on the market, but with the
Honda 3.5L V6, it has to be the spunkiest. It may not have as many bells and
whistles as some of the better rated models, it may be a little less
comfortable, and may not handle quite as well -- but I do feel I got a lot
of bang for the buck (especially with the $3500 in incentives). And as far
as safety is concerned, the Vue has ranked as one of the safest in its
class. So all-in-all, I am really happy with this car thus far. And to the
reviewers/testers of the Vue point out the excessive plastic on the interror
as a negative... with my kids and their sticky fingers -- cleanining plastic
is a whole lot easier than cleaning uphostry.

Now I only hope that the 2004 Vue proves to be a reliable choice. After
reading dozens of owner reviews on the MSN site, it appears that the 2004
Vue is vastly improved in this area, compared to the 2002/2003 models. Time
will tell.

I have 3 recommendations:

1) If you are looking to buy a small to mid-size SUV, consider the 2004 Vue.
With the incentives, I feel it is a good value for the dollar. The $3500
in incentives are over at the end of this month (May 2004).

2) If you are looking at the 4 cylinder 2004 Vue, be sure to test drive the
V6 just to make sure you can live with the difference.

3) If you recently bought a Saturn of any kind and have some regrets, take
advantance of the 30 day Saturn Exchange policy. It takes some time (about
the same as buying the car in the first place), but the Saturn sales staff
were really nice about it and didn't appear to mind being put through all
that extra paperwork. No other car dealership gives you this flexibility to
correct a mistake -- so take advantage of it if you do get a serious case of
the "regrets" as I did.

--
K Russell
Mechanicsville

Old May 15th 04, 11:31 AM
marx404

Sounds like you have a great dealership too! I work for Saturn and get to
drive the VUEs all day long with my guests. The V6 is definately a winner
and with the VTi, the ride is as smooth as any expensive luxury vehicle,
without the cost.
Personally, I don't care for SUV's but the VUE is definately the exception
for me, being safer, environmentally friendly and economical too and still
having a powerful engine.

Congratulations on your new Saturn. Now whaddya doing here? Go out and enjoy
your new VUE!

marx404
www.saturnofstuart.com

Old May 15th 04, 03:57 PM
Steven M. Scharf

"marx404" > wrote in message
> Sounds like you have a great dealership too! I work for Saturn and get to
> drive the VUEs all day long with my guests.

What kind of guests are visiting you at work all the time?

Old May 15th 04, 04:54 PM
Blah blah

In article >, says...
> Sounds like you have a great dealership too! I work for Saturn and get to
> drive the VUEs all day long with my guests. The V6 is definately a winner
> and with the VTi, the ride is as smooth as any expensive luxury vehicle,
> without the cost.
> Personally, I don't care for SUV's but the VUE is definately the exception
> for me, being safer, environmentally friendly and economical too and still
> having a powerful engine.
>
> Congratulations on your new Saturn. Now whaddya doing here? Go out and enjoy
> your new VUE!
>
> marx404

www.saturnofstuart.com

You guys need to remember that there are 2 v6's used by saturn in the
Vue. One a 3.0L engineered in hell and a 3.5L engineered close to hell
but not so much. If you want the V6 get the Honda 3.5L. I felt that
should be cleared up for anyone reading this thread. Personally I really
like the thoughtful engineering that went into the Inline 4 EcoTec's but
4 cylinders arent usually a good choice for large vehicles since they
tend to get overworked. However the ecotecs a good engine choice for the
L300's and perfect for the Ions.

Old May 15th 04, 06:42 PM
Jonnie Santos

Is the Honda V6 only in model year X and newer - or can you get either in a
new VUE? ...depending on who had the better snacks, that gives you both
Honda and Saturn as a source for oil/filter changes! They still have donuts
and popcorn at my Saturn dealer.

Old May 15th 04, 07:41 PM
Blah blah

Yeah they dropped the 3.0 in the vue but I'm not sure what year, 02'
maybe. Dealers still deal in used vehicles and there are Vue's with the
3.0. I'm just saying avoid those.

In article <2Espc.49098$Z%5.26410@okepread01>,
says...

Old May 16th 04, 01:47 AM
marx404

AFAIK, the old unreliable v6 was dropped in 2003 and is no longer available
as it has been replaced by the NEW V6 built in Honda America's Ohio plant. A
very reliable engine for 2004 with 250hp and better torque.

* perhaps "all day" was a tad colorful, but the VUE (4 and 6) is quite
popular here and I do get to drive it frequently every day.

marx404
www.saturnofstuart.com

Old May 19th 04, 11:49 AM
ProfWdesk1

>We had to give up a few options
>(such as the sunroof, side door beams,

"Side door Beams" ... the can be an option? ... is that the beams inside the
door? If so, how would you know if a used one had them?
Old May 20th 04, 03:42 AM
marx404

er...ALL Saturns have side door beams, thats part of the door construction,
not an option. Always been there.

marx404