Q: 60K Service

Old January 27th 06, 08:06 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.mazda.miata

Default Q: 60K Service

pws > wrote in
:

> Phoenix is on my short list of possible "move-to" cities, so I may
> have a few questions about it if you don't mind having me send a
> private e-mail or two.

OK, but you understand I can invoke the 5th amendment if my attorneys
think I should? <G>

Old January 28th 06, 02:26 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.mazda.miata

XS11E wrote:

> OK, but you understand I can invoke the 5th amendment if my attorneys
> think I should? <G>

5th amemdment? What is that? The 5th amendment was swept away along with
numbers 4 & 6 by something called the Patriot Act......

Oh crap, there I go again.

Would somebody please ask me why they are hearing a water sound in the
door sills so I can get back on topic again?
It is not summer time, so the usual "why are my passenger's feet getting
wet" question won't show up for a while. Maybe I'll get lucky and
someone will have a clutch slave cylinder start to leak. :-)

Pat

Old January 28th 06, 02:29 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.mazda.miata

"pws" > wrote in message
> BRUCE HASKIN wrote:
> > Oh, thank you, thank you, thank you Dr Pat. I feel so much better now.
> > :-)
> >
> > Bruce RED '91
> >

> Hey, you wanted Dr. Phil, you got Dr. Pat. This is usenet,
> you get what you pay fer! :-)
>
> Pat, the love Doctor........

Pat her where?

Old January 28th 06, 02:43 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.mazda.miata

Default not exactly interrupting miata conversations today :-) (was:

Thomas Misek wrote:

> Pat her where?

Right here.

http://imdb.com/gallery/ss/0110169/S...th_key=0110169

I will never forgive Lanny for this one. I will also never make fun of
his name again. :-/

Patrick - a.k.a. Pat
Old January 28th 06, 04:54 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.mazda.miata

"Lanny Chambers" > wrote in message
> In article >,
> "Frank Berger" > wrote:
>
>> This has been discussed before. When I had my 60K service and had the
>> timing belt replaced, my Mazda service guy said their policy is to
>> inspect
>> the pump and repleace it only if it needs it. This policy was widely
>> ridiculed here.

> My data point: timing belt replaced at 60k, but water pump was fine and
> left alone. Original water pump started leaking at 114k. Needless to
> say, the TB got replaced a little early.

Actually, that's an interesting point. If you don't do the pump at 60K and
it goes out, say, at 100, it's not really a total loss, since you can do the
timing belt early. The closer to 120K you get, the smaller the loss. It's a
statistical question, and only data can answer it.

Old January 28th 06, 05:31 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.mazda.miata

Hee, hee. hee, Pat, the water you hear is the water between their ears.
:-)

Bruce RED '91
Oh,????? maybe it's the rain ?

Old January 28th 06, 06:03 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.mazda.miata

Good point Lanny. The only other thing is the tentioners. I have seen
them go bad and come right out thru the front cover. At 120,000 miles, I
am sure they will ALL be bad. If you can free spin them, then they are
bad. I (me) have never seen a belt go bad and break on a Miata with
under 100,000 miles on it. That said, I am sure that there have been
some someplace. I guess I could bring up the classic VEGA. I had 2 of
them go. one at 112,000 and one at 90,000. The first time I went in and
asked the shop if I should change it at 80,000, they said they didn't
know. They had never had a Vega engine last that long to tell if it
needed to be changed. :-) I got a very long life out of my Vega. I
bought it new, pulled the engine at 500 miles and had it blue-printed,
put a dual-deck intake and headers on it. The head was the real problem
on them. It had a .020 warp in the center right from the factory.
Splitting the web between the cyl's in the block, solved all of the
other engine problems. (Wife did a total job with it. :-( It was a fast
car.

Bruce RED '91

Old January 28th 06, 04:58 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.mazda.miata

"Frank Berger" > wrote in
:

> "Lanny Chambers" > wrote in message
>> My data point: timing belt replaced at 60k, but water pump was
>> fine and left alone. Original water pump started leaking at 114k.
>> Needless to say, the TB got replaced a little early.

> Actually, that's an interesting point. If you don't do the pump
> at 60K and it goes out, say, at 100, it's not really a total loss,
> since you can do the timing belt early. The closer to 120K you
> get, the smaller the loss. It's a statistical question, and only
> data can answer it.

Based on personal experience (previous owner said timing belt broke
around 130,000miles) and that of people here, maybe we should replace
belt, seals, pulleys and water pump at 100,000 miles????

Old January 28th 06, 05:19 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.mazda.miata

XS11E wrote:

> Based on personal experience (previous owner said timing belt broke
> around 130,000miles) and that of people here, maybe we should replace
> belt, seals, pulleys and water pump at 100,000 miles????

That is exactly what I think. Very few of us actually drive our miatas
past 200K, or even until 200K miles.

If you do everything at 100K, or even 90K miles, you will probably only
do the job once.
The next job will probably be for the next owner. I know that regular
"factory-recommended" maintenance helps a car hold value, but once the
car is 10 to 15 years old and has 150,000+ miles on it, the vehicle
won't be worth a lot anyway, and failing to replace the timing belt and
water pump when they are working properly will not have the same bad
effects of failing to maintain the car by changing fluids, tires, worn
suspension parts, etc.

Somebody has probably had their timing belt break at 60,100 miles, (or
even less), but the vast majority of the time it is going to make it
well past 100K miles.
I am willing to take that small gamble and wait another 30K miles,
(still 10K less than the CA requirement), to save money since my
experience with the miata is that the timing belt and water pump usually
tend to fail at about the same time.

Pat

Old January 28th 06, 05:34 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.mazda.miata

BRUCE HASKIN wrote:
> Good point Lanny. The only other thing is the tentioners. I have seen
> them go bad and come right out thru the front cover. At 120,000 miles, I
> am sure they will ALL be bad. If you can free spin them, then they are
> bad. I (me) have never seen a belt go bad and break on a Miata with
> under 100,000 miles on it. That said, I am sure that there have been
> some someplace. I guess I could bring up the classic VEGA. I had 2 of
> them go. one at 112,000 and one at 90,000. The first time I went in and
> asked the shop if I should change it at 80,000, they said they didn't
> know. They had never had a Vega engine last that long to tell if it
> needed to be changed. :-) I got a very long life out of my Vega. I
> bought it new, pulled the engine at 500 miles and had it blue-printed,
> put a dual-deck intake and headers on it. The head was the real problem
> on them. It had a .020 warp in the center right from the factory.
> Splitting the web between the cyl's in the block, solved all of the
> other engine problems. (Wife did a total job with it. :-( It was a fast
> car.
>
> Bruce RED '91

Haha,
our family had a Vega. It was a urine color with a particulary putrid
sheen to it, not the prettiest vehicle in the world.

It did last long enough to become the kid's car for a while. What is
really funny is that when it died it sat outside for a couple of years
before a guy offered to buy it for $250.00, which was great money for
that car at that time.
They told him that it did not work. He fiddled with the fuel system,
filled up the tires, and drove away. I can remember my parents being
both happy and amazed, they thought that it was going to have to be
hauled off to a junkyard. :-)

They were fairly fast stock, and there was talk of pulling the dead
engine and doing a 350 V8 conversion, part of the project is to actually
chop out the rear seats and replace part of the sheet metal to make room
for bigger wheels.
It is probably best that it never happened.....

Pat

Service David A Smith Alfa Romeo 4 October 19th 04 03:36 PM
BMW service lights in the UK spammy BMW 3 September 18th 04 06:55 PM
4x4 newbie. Rude and Intimidating Service Brent Murphy 4x4 32 March 16th 04 07:14 AM