2000 C5, 50k miles, 6-spd, transmission noise

Old August 30th 04, 06:01 AM
Alex J. Avriette

Default 2000 C5, 50k miles, 6-spd, transmission noise

Hi, Folks. First time vette owner (since Friday). I am in the curious
situation of owning both a 280ZX Turbo and a C5 6-spd Vette. You may
know that the Z has a BW T5 in it, whereas my "blue car" has a T56.
That is to say I am accustomed to some transmission noise. In the Z, I
have some low-gear noise. It sounds like a rotating noise that I'd
expect from being in low gear. This is fairly constant, when you can
hear the transmission over the rest of the car (the Z is ... a project
of mine, and is well into the 300hp range, it is loud).

In the Vette, I have noise that is similar, but more.. "unhappy"
sounding. I'd say almost gravelly. This sound is between 1000 and 1500
rpm, especially in first and second gear, while the car is under way.
Not so much while idling. This to me almost seems like a throwout
bearing. The car was bought used, and I haven't the luxury of an
owners video, owners manual, or factory service manual. There are
several Vette owners at work, and I intend to run the noise by them to
see if they know what it is. I suspect it might be the normal "Vette
T56 noise" that others have described in the newsgroup. What's a sure
way to tell the difference?

I looked at a few sites today, notably zfdoc, but I couldn't find
anything that was real definitive. The description I've heard repeated
was "rocks in a can." I could maybe think the noise was similar to
that, but the fact that it is so transient, and the fact that the car
seems otherwise healthy, make me think it might just be normal
transmission noise.

The one thing that worries me is there is an occasional (say one out
of 20 shifts from neutral into first) unwillingness to engage first.
throwing down to second and back up into first works, but it's kind of
embarassing at a light. I actually had some twit in a Rav-4 honk at
me.

Are the owners manual/videos available online somewhere? Is the $1700
price for a new transmission I read earlier today (from 2000) still
valid? If the transmission is hosed, what can I expect to pay to
replace the whole thing? Is it worth finding a hardened transmission
(such as from zfdoc)? I spent a lot of money hardening everything in
the Z -- halfshafts, hubs, driveshaft, differential, etc -- after I
started piling on modifications. I'm not so sure the Vette needs the
help the Z does, but it couldn't hurt, right?

Thanks in advance, sory for asking so many questions. :-)

Alex

ps, for those that love baby pictures (me included):

http://mithril.posixnap.net/~alex/stable.jpg

(the vette is the one on the right)
Old August 30th 04, 04:42 PM
Gerd Henjes

Alex... a quick reply. First will pop out unless it is seated firmly. I
think I remember you are pushing through 3 synchros to engage that gear.
That's happened twice to me so far with my '04 Z-06 in 6k miles. As for the
noise, they are noisy. Let me suggest a fluid change to GM Synchromesh fluid
and take it from there.

Good luck and have fun.

Gerd

Old August 31st 04, 01:35 AM
Bob I

To buy real ones,

http://www.helminc.com/helm/search_service_owner.asp

Old August 31st 04, 01:35 AM
Bob I

Alex J. Avriette wrote:

> Are the owners manual/videos available online somewhere? Is the $1700
> price for a new transmission I read earlier today (from 2000) still
> valid? If the transmission is hosed, what can I expect to pay to

1991 750IL - Check Engine & Transmission Program megrp BMW 0 December 15th 04 04:33 AM
Transmission fluid filter question LIW Audi 0 November 22nd 04 04:45 PM
E30 whining noise (back end) Pedro BMW 3 November 20th 04 07:54 AM
Just bought a 2000 1.8 TT with 30k miles... The Scarlet Pimpernel Audi 4 November 7th 04 12:04 AM
E39 whistiling noise - from intake? dave BMW 3 November 4th 04 02:14 PM