Fuel Economy Went South Suddenly

Old February 6th 07, 02:31 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.honda
Doug B

Default Fuel Economy Went South Suddenly

I have a '98 Odyssey EX. Over the last month or two, it has gone from
25mpg highway to 20. It's nothing obvious like a disconnected spark
plug or an underinflated tire. Any guesses what it could be?
Old February 6th 07, 03:17 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.honda
High Tech Misfit

Doug B wrote:

> I have a '98 Odyssey EX. Over the last month or two, it has gone from
> 25mpg highway to 20. It's nothing obvious like a disconnected spark
> plug or an underinflated tire. Any guesses what it could be?

Is it winter-like cold in your area? If so, that's probably why.
Old February 6th 07, 03:47 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.honda
Doug B

High Tech Misfit,

>> I have a '98 Odyssey EX. Over the last month or two, it has gone from
>> 25mpg highway to 20. It's nothing obvious like a disconnected spark
>> plug or an underinflated tire. Any guesses what it could be?

> Is it winter-like cold in your area? If so, that's probably why.

Can cold weather really cause a *20%* drop in fuel economy?

Old February 6th 07, 04:21 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.honda
jim beam

Doug B wrote:
> High Tech Misfit,
>>
>>> I have a '98 Odyssey EX. Over the last month or two, it has gone
>>> from 25mpg highway to 20. It's nothing obvious like a disconnected
>>> spark plug or an underinflated tire. Any guesses what it could be?

>> Is it winter-like cold in your area? If so, that's probably why.

> Can cold weather really cause a *20%* drop in fuel economy?

check/replace ignition componentry. check brakes are not binding. use
injector cleaner.
Old February 6th 07, 04:41 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.honda
motsco_[_1_]

Doug B wrote:
> High Tech Misfit,
>>
>>> I have a '98 Odyssey EX. Over the last month or two, it has gone
>>> from 25mpg highway to 20. It's nothing obvious like a disconnected
>>> spark plug or an underinflated tire. Any guesses what it could be?

>> Is it winter-like cold in your area? If so, that's probably why.

> Can cold weather really cause a *20%* drop in fuel economy?

-------------------------------

Short trips with an engine that doesn't really get warmed up plowing
through snow with Winter Gas in the tank will KILL your gas mileage.

'Curly'
Old February 6th 07, 05:17 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.honda
Doug B

motsco_ wrote:
> Doug B wrote:
>> High Tech Misfit,

>>> Is it winter-like cold in your area? If so, that's probably why.

>> Can cold weather really cause a *20%* drop in fuel economy?

> -------------------------------
>
> Short trips with an engine that doesn't really get warmed up plowing
> through snow with Winter Gas in the tank will KILL your gas mileage.

The last measurement covered mostly highway driving (75 miles nonstop
each way) on dry pavement.

Old February 6th 07, 05:41 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.honda
E Meyer

On 2/6/07 11:17 AM, in article ,
"Doug B" > wrote:

> motsco_ wrote:
>> Doug B wrote:
>>> High Tech Misfit,

>>> Can cold weather really cause a *20%* drop in fuel economy?

>> -------------------------------
>>
>> Short trips with an engine that doesn't really get warmed up plowing
>> through snow with Winter Gas in the tank will KILL your gas mileage.
>>

> The last measurement covered mostly highway driving (75 miles nonstop
> each way) on dry pavement.

My '96 Odyssey EX averaged 21.8 mpg over the first 94,000 miles before I
passed it off to a family member. It did get 25 on the highway, but only on
long trips when it was driven through entire tanks of gas (> 300 miles)
without stopping.

How long have you had this car? Do you have enough experience with it to
know the 25 mpg wasn't just a fluke?

Old February 6th 07, 06:01 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.honda
Doug B

E Meyer,

> My '96 Odyssey EX averaged 21.8 mpg over the first 94,000 miles before I
> passed it off to a family member. It did get 25 on the highway, but only on
> long trips when it was driven through entire tanks of gas (> 300 miles)
> without stopping.
>
> How long have you had this car? Do you have enough experience with it to
> know the 25 mpg wasn't just a fluke?

I've owned it since 2000 and driven it daily since 2003, and highway
mileage has always been around 25 mpg.
Old February 6th 07, 06:29 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.honda
Scrapper[_37_]

when's the last time you changed oil and air filter and the rest
plugs,wires,gas filter?? if nothing else look at your air filter..

--
Scrapper
Scrapper's Profile: http://www.automotiveforums.com/vbul...?userid=438443

http://www.automotiveforums.com

Old February 6th 07, 07:31 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.honda
AZ Nomad

On Tue, 06 Feb 2007 10:47:49 -0500, Doug B > wrote:

>High Tech Misfit,
>>
>>> I have a '98 Odyssey EX. Over the last month or two, it has gone from
>>> 25mpg highway to 20. It's nothing obvious like a disconnected spark
>>> plug or an underinflated tire. Any guesses what it could be?

>> Is it winter-like cold in your area? If so, that's probably why.

>Can cold weather really cause a *20%* drop in fuel economy?

Of course.