2001 Honda Civic issues 1) Front End Clicking 2) Speedometer erratic 3) Corrosion on uncarriage

Old February 6th 07, 03:54 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.honda
warrioratc

Default 2001 Honda Civic issues 1) Front End Clicking 2) Speedometer erratic 3) Corrosion on uncarriage

I am reading your discussion having been quoted $515.00 to fix the
speedometer cluster because it works intermittently and displays many
of the same issues that you have been talking about here...

any advice on whether to go with that price or go somewhere else for a
quote?

-bryan

Old February 6th 07, 05:21 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.honda
motsco_[_1_]

warrioratc wrote:
> I am reading your discussion having been quoted $515.00 to fix the
> speedometer cluster because it works intermittently and displays many
> of the same issues that you have been talking about here...
>
> any advice on whether to go with that price or go somewhere else for a
> quote?
>
> -bryan

===================================

Could you please start at the beginning and tell us the whole story?
Thanks. We don't know what you've read so far.

'Curly'
Old February 6th 07, 12:37 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.honda
warrioratc

On Feb 6, 12:21 am, motsco_ > wrote:
> warrioratc wrote:
> > I am reading your discussion having been quoted $515.00 to fix the
> > speedometer cluster because it works intermittently and displays many
> > of the same issues that you have been talking about here...

> > any advice on whether to go with that price or go somewhere else for a
> > quote?

> > -bryan

> ===================================
>
> Could you please start at the beginning and tell us the whole story?
> Thanks. We don't know what you've read so far.
>
> 'Curly'

=================================

Thanks for your reply...
the speedometer and tachometer and radio were acting up in my honda
civic 2001. i thought they may be all interrelated, but apparently,
by resetting the radio, that was ok. the shop diagnosed my
speedometer (intermittently not working) and said that they "reset the
cluster". they assumed it would fix it. the next day it was not
working again. reading "0" when i am going like "60". occasionally
it does start working, but now, for the most part, it doesnt.

i was quoted $515.00 to have the speedometer cluster replaced....does
that sound right? should i go somewhere else?

thanks for your help
-bryan

Old February 6th 07, 01:49 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.honda
maumee

On Feb 6, 7:37 am, "warrioratc" > wrote:
> On Feb 6, 12:21 am, motsco_ > wrote:
>

> > warrioratc wrote:
> > > I am reading your discussion having been quoted $515.00 to fix the
> > > speedometer cluster because it works intermittently and displays many
> > > of the same issues that you have been talking about here...

> > > any advice on whether to go with that price or go somewhere else for a
> > > quote?

> > > -bryan

> > ===================================

> > Could you please start at the beginning and tell us the whole story?
> > Thanks. We don't know what you've read so far.

> > 'Curly'

> =================================
>
> Thanks for your reply...
> the speedometer and tachometer and radio were acting up in my honda
> civic 2001. i thought they may be all interrelated, but apparently,
> by resetting the radio, that was ok. the shop diagnosed my
> speedometer (intermittently not working) and said that they "reset the
> cluster". they assumed it would fix it. the next day it was not
> working again. reading "0" when i am going like "60". occasionally
> it does start working, but now, for the most part, it doesnt.
>
> i was quoted $515.00 to have the speedometer cluster replaced....does
> that sound right? should i go somewhere else?
>
> thanks for your help
> -bryan- Hide quoted text -

Does your tachometer not work at the same time that your speedometer
does not work? Does your check engine light come on? You potentially
have a vehicle speed sensor that is going bad if either of these
situations occurr,but if the tach is reading OK and you have no check
engine light the diagnosis of a bad speedometer cluster is probably
good. It is possible to disassemble the dash and have the cluster sent
out and repaired yourself but it is a LOT of work. If you are having
it done, depending on where you are located and who is doing the work
$ 515 is not out of range. For that kind of money I would have
someone else you trust give you a quote to verify diagnosis and price.

Old February 6th 07, 04:25 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.honda
jim beam

warrioratc wrote:
> On Feb 6, 12:21 am, motsco_ > wrote:
>> warrioratc wrote:
>>> I am reading your discussion having been quoted $515.00 to fix the
>>> speedometer cluster because it works intermittently and displays many
>>> of the same issues that you have been talking about here...
>>> any advice on whether to go with that price or go somewhere else for a
>>> quote?
>>> -bryan

>> ===================================
>>
>> Could you please start at the beginning and tell us the whole story?
>> Thanks. We don't know what you've read so far.
>>
>> 'Curly'

> =================================
>
> Thanks for your reply...
> the speedometer and tachometer and radio were acting up in my honda
> civic 2001. i thought they may be all interrelated, but apparently,
> by resetting the radio, that was ok. the shop diagnosed my
> speedometer (intermittently not working) and said that they "reset the
> cluster". they assumed it would fix it. the next day it was not
> working again. reading "0" when i am going like "60". occasionally
> it does start working, but now, for the most part, it doesnt.
>
> i was quoted $515.00 to have the speedometer cluster replaced....does
> that sound right? should i go somewhere else?
>
> thanks for your help
> -bryan

first things first - verify the diagnosis. take it to a different
dealer and explain that you want a second opinion. have them confirm
whether it's the speed sensor. you may also have a faulty earth
connection - that will not require cluster replacement.
Old February 6th 07, 04:42 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.honda
motsco_[_1_]

jim beam wrote:
> first things first - verify the diagnosis. take it to a different
> dealer and explain that you want a second opinion. have them confirm
> whether it's the speed sensor. you may also have a faulty earth
> connection - that will not require cluster replacement.

---------------------------------

I think his chances are better here than at most of the dealer we hear
about . . . :-(

'Curly'
Old February 6th 07, 04:47 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.honda
jim beam

motsco_ wrote:
> jim beam wrote:
>> first things first - verify the diagnosis. take it to a different
>> dealer and explain that you want a second opinion. have them confirm
>> whether it's the speed sensor. you may also have a faulty earth
>> connection - that will not require cluster replacement.

> ---------------------------------
>
> I think his chances are better here than at most of the dealer we hear
> about . . . :-(
>
> 'Curly'

maybe, but pretty much by definition, we'll never hear about the good ones.
Old February 7th 07, 02:19 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.honda
warrioratc

On Feb 6, 11:47 am, jim beam > wrote:
> motsco_ wrote:
> > jim beam wrote:
> >> first things first - verify the diagnosis. take it to a different
> >> dealer and explain that you want a second opinion. have them confirm
> >> whether it's the speed sensor. you may also have a faulty earth
> >> connection - that will not require cluster replacement.

> > ---------------------------------

> > I think his chances are better here than at most of the dealer we hear
> > about . . . :-(

> > 'Curly'

> maybe, but pretty much by definition, we'll never hear about the good ones.

Guys...thanks for your help.

the tach has occasionally acted up and read either "0" when i was
driving pretty fast, or rested at a high position when the car was
shut off...and that was actually where the problem started...but since
it has migrated to the speedometer and has stayed there. i will
have it looked at by another garage and see what they think.

i appreciate your feedback!

-bryan

Old February 7th 07, 03:26 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.honda
jim beam

warrioratc wrote:
> On Feb 6, 11:47 am, jim beam > wrote:
>> motsco_ wrote:
>>> ---------------------------------
>>> I think his chances are better here than at most of the dealer we hear
>>> about . . . :-(
>>> 'Curly'

>> maybe, but pretty much by definition, we'll never hear about the good ones.

> Guys...thanks for your help.
>
> the tach has occasionally acted up and read either "0" when i was
> driving pretty fast, or rested at a high position when the car was
> shut off...and that was actually where the problem started...but since
> it has migrated to the speedometer and has stayed there. i will
> have it looked at by another garage and see what they think.
>
> i appreciate your feedback!
>
> -bryan

i have encountered one truly defective tach, but only one. in that
case, the only remedy was replacement. but others are usually just bad
connections that behave when cleaned and remade.
Old February 7th 07, 04:57 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.honda
Eric

It may be the speed sensor or solder joints crack on the circuit board
inside the cluster. You can disassembly the cluster to re-solder all the
joints if this is the cause.

oups.com...