Kit for 1.6L to 1.8L upgrade?

Old May 5th 06, 03:30 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.mazda.miata

Default Kit for 1.6L to 1.8L upgrade?

Does anyone know of a kit that contains the necessities for swapping a 1.8L
into an older (M1?) Miata?

I have a '91, and know that sometime soon I may need a new engine, and when
that happens, I wannt go to a
non OBDII 1.8L.

Thanks guys!

Old May 5th 06, 04:48 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.mazda.miata

In article >,
"John Smith" > wrote:

> Does anyone know of a kit that contains the necessities for swapping a 1.8L
> into an older (M1?) Miata?

Watch out for line wrapping:

http://www.flyinmiata.com/index.php?...stocknumber=04
-70500%20%201994-97

--
Lanny Chambers
'94C, St. Louis
Old May 5th 06, 04:52 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.mazda.miata

"John Smith" > wrote in
:

> Does anyone know of a kit that contains the necessities for
> swapping a 1.8L into an older (M1?) Miata?
>
> I have a '91, and know that sometime soon I may need a new engine,
> and when that happens, I wannt go to a non OBDII 1.8L.

What, you can't type "Miata engine swap" into Google?

http://www.flyinmiata.com/index.php?...67&deptid=4535

FWIW, you'll have more performance with the 1.8 but in most other
aspects it's an inferior engine. If it were me, I'd rebuild the 1.6 if
and when it needs it, as always YMMV.

Old May 5th 06, 05:03 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.mazda.miata

"XS11E" > wrote in message
> FWIW, you'll have more performance with the 1.8 but in most other
> aspects it's an inferior engine. If it were me, I'd rebuild the 1.6 if
> and when it needs it, as always YMMV.

In what aspects other than performance are the 1.6 superior? And please
don't insult us by mentioning fuel mileage.

Old May 5th 06, 09:39 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.mazda.miata

"Chas Hurst" > wrote in
news

> "XS11E" > wrote in message
>> FWIW, you'll have more performance with the 1.8 but in most other
>> aspects it's an inferior engine. If it were me, I'd rebuild the
>> 1.6 if and when it needs it, as always YMMV.

> In what aspects other than performance are the 1.6 superior? And
> please don't insult us by mentioning fuel mileage.

Longevity for one thing. Since the 1.6 was designed to operate with a
turbo charger it's considerably "overbuilt". Fuel mileage for another,
sorry if that insults you, I can't imagine why?

Old May 5th 06, 05:00 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.mazda.miata

"XS11E" > wrote in message
> "Chas Hurst" > wrote in
> news >
>>
>> "XS11E" > wrote in message
>>> FWIW, you'll have more performance with the 1.8 but in most other
>>> aspects it's an inferior engine. If it were me, I'd rebuild the
>>> 1.6 if and when it needs it, as always YMMV.

>> In what aspects other than performance are the 1.6 superior? And
>> please don't insult us by mentioning fuel mileage.

> Longevity for one thing. Since the 1.6 was designed to operate with a
> turbo charger it's considerably "overbuilt". Fuel mileage for another,
> sorry if that insults you, I can't imagine why?

Both the 1.6 and 1.8 engines are based on the same engine. When Mazda
removed the turbo for the Miata they also removed some of the strengthened
parts. The 323 turbo and the early 1.6 both had a problem with the front
pulley hub coming loose, terminally in some cases. And isn't performance the
main reason for buying a Miata in the first place?

Old May 5th 06, 07:43 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.mazda.miata

Actually, I'm in the market for a Miata, and one of the aspects I'm
looking for in a small convertible is good fuel economy.

With that in mind, what is the last year they made the 1.6L?

On Thu, 4 May 2006 21:30:23 -0500, "John Smith"

Old May 5th 06, 10:03 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.mazda.miata

"Chas Hurst" > wrote in
:

> Both the 1.6 and 1.8 engines are based on the same engine.

Very loosely.

> When Mazda removed the turbo for the Miata they also removed some
> of the strengthened parts.

Not as far as I know.

> And isn't performance the main reason for buying a Miata in
> the first place?

Certainly not, if I wanted performance I'd have bought a Porsche, Honda
S2000, Nissan Z car, Mustang, Corvette, etc.

The performance of the 1.6 is completely adequate for me.

Old May 5th 06, 10:11 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.mazda.miata

Lee > wrote in
:

> Actually, I'm in the market for a Miata, and one of the aspects
> I'm looking for in a small convertible is good fuel economy.
>
> With that in mind, what is the last year they made the 1.6L?

1993. See he

http://www.miata.net/faq/features.html

If you're thinking of getting a Miata, first get VERY familiar with
http://www.miata.net.

Be sure to read http://www.miata.net/faq/usedmx5.html and the links
given in the article.

Old May 5th 06, 10:19 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.mazda.miata

On 2006-05-05, Chas Hurst > wrote:

> Both the 1.6 and 1.8 engines are based on the same engine.
> When Mazda removed the turbo for the Miata they also removed
> some of the strengthened parts. The 323 turbo and the early
> 1.6 both had a problem with the front pulley hub coming loose,
> terminally in some cases. And isn't performance the main
> reason for buying a Miata in the first place?

Yes, but "performance" != "horsepower".

--
Grant Edwards grante Yow! I have many CHARTS
at and DIAGRAMS...