drunk driving

Old January 7th 08, 03:20 PM posted to alt.autos.corvette
Tikbalang[_2_]

Default drunk driving

Hello group,
Please forgive a tad off topic but relevant to all car lovers.
Everyone has heard the stories about the drunk driver killing others
and walking away unhurt.
I would simply like to know if that is really true. I've worked in an
emergency room and I've seen plenty of drunks injured and dead.My
small sampling is inconclusive. One can't go by the newspapers either
for the same reason thousands of planes land safely every day and you
only read about the few times a year one crashes.
I've been searching all over the internet for days now for statistics
and there is certainly plenty of data available but I've found nothing
to support or refute that one particular fact. I'd appreciate any
suggestion of where to look next.
Important - I'm just looking for the facts here, please do not misread
this as some kind of rationalization for drunk driving.
Old January 7th 08, 10:48 PM posted to alt.autos.corvette
'Key

"Tikbalang" > wrote in message
> Hello group,
> Please forgive a tad off topic but relevant to all car
> lovers.
> Everyone has heard the stories about the drunk driver
> killing others
> and walking away unhurt.
> I would simply like to know if that is really true. I've
> worked in an
> emergency room and I've seen plenty of drunks injured and
> dead.My
> small sampling is inconclusive. One can't go by the
> newspapers either
> for the same reason thousands of planes land safely every
> day and you
> only read about the few times a year one crashes.
> I've been searching all over the internet for days now for
> statistics
> and there is certainly plenty of data available but I've
> found nothing
> to support or refute that one particular fact. I'd
> appreciate any
> suggestion of where to look next.

---snip---

sure its true !
I would suggest that you keep looking...

--
'Key
=====

Old January 8th 08, 03:47 AM posted to alt.autos.corvette
Bob I

Sorry no facts or statistics here. Try the link below, anything else is
rumor and secondhand myth.

http://www.nhtsa.dot.gov/portal/site...86e10dba046a0/

Old January 8th 08, 08:17 PM posted to alt.autos.corvette
Dave in Lake Villa

Im sure there are lots of drunks who walk away virtually unscathed from
a bad accident as well as those that dont. I was a witness to a drunk
driver hitting a Korean family in their car, broadside, at an
intersection where they Korean Family were stopped in the intersection
waiting to make a turn on a green...and the drunk ran the red light
and hit their car with such force it shattered every window . I was
first on the scene as i was right behind the drunk about 100 ' back.
The Korean Family were in a state of Trauma and completely covered in
glass particles with numerous places of bleeding. The Drunk got out of
his car (a huge Lincoln Continental) and staggered over to me asking him
to hold him up ; he leaned on me and moved away. When the cops arrived
some 5 minutes later, i told the Officer the guy smelled of booze . The
Koreans insurance company later sent me a form to fill out describing
exactly what i saw took place. I made sure i indicated the Offender was
drunk and staggering. He wasnt staggering from pain either. It was a
sad sight to see the Korean Family all cut up due to some Alkie . Good
thing the Drunk was only going 30 mph. The Koreans couldnt speak any
English ; what a welcome to America !

Old January 8th 08, 08:19 PM posted to alt.autos.corvette
Dave in Lake Villa

I wouldnt be surprised if Drunk offenders in a car crash stood a better
chance of survival , being perhaps in a totally relaxed state and
reasonably numb to pain (?) . Just a hypothesis.

Old January 12th 08, 03:50 AM posted to alt.autos.corvette
Zombywoof

On Mon, 07 Jan 2008 10:20:25 -0500, Tikbalang
> wrote:

>Hello group,
>Please forgive a tad off topic but relevant to all car lovers.
>Everyone has heard the stories about the drunk driver killing others
>and walking away unhurt.
>I would simply like to know if that is really true. I've worked in an
>emergency room and I've seen plenty of drunks injured and dead.My
>small sampling is inconclusive. One can't go by the newspapers either
>for the same reason thousands of planes land safely every day and you
>only read about the few times a year one crashes.
>I've been searching all over the internet for days now for statistics
>and there is certainly plenty of data available but I've found nothing
>to support or refute that one particular fact. I'd appreciate any
>suggestion of where to look next.
>Important - I'm just looking for the facts here, please do not misread
>this as some kind of rationalization for drunk driving.

Having served with numerous volunteer Emergency Rescue or Fire Rescue
departments over the past three decades in various locations across
America I can you that; yes it happens. As in the infamous anything
that can happen does. Now at what frequency, who the hell knows and I
doubt anyone is tracking it. Why, the uninjured fellow doesn't get
any care, hence isn't in the statistic books just like all other
victims of any number of numerous accidents.

Now the "without a scratch" dent, ding or bruise I haven't seen, but I
have seen plenty of drunks, or what I suspected are drunks refuse
treatment of any kind (more then likely from feeling no pain in the
first place). Also, many drunks who cause accidents do not want to go
to a medical facility for fearing they be blood tested.

I was the first responder to a single car accident where I highly
suspected the driver was drunk (with plenty of very good reasons). For
whatever reason when Highway Patrol respond they didn't really seem to
care (cops can be lazy too) since there was no Property damage & the
driver refused medical treatment at the scene. A tow-truck was called
& the driver caught a ride with the Operator who was bringing the
vehicle to his home anyhow.

End of the story is the driver woke up dead -- still without a scratch
on him. Although ruptured spleen does what I think you know one does
over the course of the night and he bled out in his sleep. One less
drunk on the roads from my perspective.
--

"Oh bother," mummbled Pooh, as he chambered another round.
_____

Do`in it Woofy style since `73