73 bus - mystery control

Old November 25th 07, 02:15 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.vw.aircooled
Zeeber

Default 73 bus - mystery control

Hey all,

I've been lurking awhile and already learned tons from this site.
I've previously owned two beetles, a '73 super and a '74 sunbug.
Just recently, however, I've come into the possession of a '73 Kombi
and I'm baffled by a control I can find no reference to (online or
elsewhere).
The control in question is a cable/knob affair that protrudes from the
driver's seat pillar (center side, not door side) beside and a little
above the brake fluid reservoir. The cable does a little turn and
disappears down into the floor under the driver's seat.
Any ideas?

Thanks in advance.

MZ
Old November 27th 07, 04:42 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.vw.aircooled
Berg

Zeeber wrote:
> Hey all,
>
> I've been lurking awhile and already learned tons from this site.
> I've previously owned two beetles, a '73 super and a '74 sunbug.
> Just recently, however, I've come into the possession of a '73 Kombi
> and I'm baffled by a control I can find no reference to (online or
> elsewhere).
> The control in question is a cable/knob affair that protrudes from the
> driver's seat pillar (center side, not door side) beside and a little
> above the brake fluid reservoir. The cable does a little turn and
> disappears down into the floor under the driver's seat.
> Any ideas?
>
> Thanks in advance.
>
> MZ

It could be a manual choke if it is a carburated model and someone
modified the carb. from auto choke to manual.

J.
Old November 27th 07, 05:06 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.vw.aircooled
Zeeber

Hmmm, don't think so - at least not anymore.
The bus has a "Genuine VW of Canada" remanufactured longblock with
dual Weber ICT's.
The engine is stamped AWxxxxxx so I'm thinking it's an 1800 (as
opposed to the original 1700).

The control certainly looks like a choke control but it's in an odd
location and it looks like it's original to the bus.
The bus has been stored for the winter now so it'll be difficult for
me to get a closer look at where the cable might go (or could have
gone).
Additional info I did get before putting it away for the winter; it
appears to have had an original heater in the engine compartment as
there are clips and a circular indentation on the inside rear driver's
side fender. Also there's a duct on the driver's side between the
engine bay and the area under the rear seat (alongside the tank?).
Finally, there's well defined holes (that have been plugged) in the
"battery tray" area on the driver's side => likely for the exhaust
from the heater.

Could this mystery control have related to flaps or something like
that for the add-on heater?

Thanks in advance,

M. Zeeb

Old November 28th 07, 05:39 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.vw.aircooled
Bill[_3_]

Just might have been one of the various brands of gas heaters
installed either by factory/dealer/PrevOwner
Check out this page and open various manuals to see if anything looks
familiar.

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/archives/.../heater_ac.php
Old December 11th 07, 09:24 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.vw.aircooled

On Nov 24, 9:15 pm, Zeeber > wrote:
> Hey all,

It's the control cable to active the air deflection to the passenger
area from underneath the center walkthrough vents.
Black knob.

Old December 16th 07, 04:20 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.vw.aircooled
Zeeber

On Dec 11, 4:24 pm, wrote:
> On Nov 24, 9:15 pm, Zeeber > wrote:> Hey all,
>
> It's the control cable to active the air deflection to the passenger
> area from underneath the center walkthrough vents.
> Black knob.
>

> > I've been lurking awhile and already learned tons from this site.
> > I've previously owned two beetles, a '73 super and a '74 sunbug.
> > Just recently, however, I've come into the possession of a '73 Kombi
> > and I'm baffled by a control I can find no reference to (online or
> > elsewhere).
> > The control in question is a cable/knob affair that protrudes from the
> > driver's seat pillar (center side, not door side) beside and a little
> > above the brake fluid reservoir. The cable does a little turn and
> > disappears down into the floor under the driver's seat.
> > Any ideas?

> > Thanks in advance.

> > MZ- Hide quoted text -

Thank you so much!

1984 GTI Rabbit Ox Sensor Frequency valve and Control Unit Mystery Tube Audio VW water cooled 7 July 21st 07 08:06 PM
Mystery car! STUK Auto Photos 5 May 19th 07 09:51 PM
'93 GCL mystery pin SBlackfoot Chrysler 0 December 29th 05 02:47 AM
car mystery G Saturn 1 March 14th 05 11:58 AM
mystery SUV Lloyd Randall Driving 26 December 28th 04 06:49 AM