removing half-shafts from torsen rear end

Old May 5th 06, 12:38 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.mazda.miata

Default removing half-shafts from torsen rear end

I am taking the half-shafts off of my torsen differential and want to be
certain that I am doing it correctly. Here is a picture of the assembly,
it looks like I need to take the clips off, and I don't see a way to do
that without damaging them, so I am assuming that you replace them.

Do the two green stub shafts remain attached to the differential? Also,
do the half-shafts pull out or are they bolted in? Any instructions or
tips would be greatly appreciated.

Here is a pic if that helps explain what I am referring to.

http://image.inkfrog.com/pix/pat/torsenrearend.jpg

Thanks!

Pat
Old May 5th 06, 12:57 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.mazda.miata

"pws" > wrote in message
>I am taking the half-shafts off of my torsen differential and want to be
>certain that I am doing it correctly. Here is a picture of the assembly, it
>looks like I need to take the clips off, and I don't see a way to do that
>without damaging them, so I am assuming that you replace them.
>
> Do the two green stub shafts remain attached to the differential? Also, do
> the half-shafts pull out or are they bolted in? Any instructions or tips
> would be greatly appreciated.
>
> Here is a pic if that helps explain what I am referring to.
>
> http://image.inkfrog.com/pix/pat/torsenrearend.jpg
>
> Thanks!
>
> Pat

The whole axle, including the green part pulls out of the final drive. Pry
between the final drive case and the cv joint (the green thing) with a
flat/crow bar and the axle stub pops out. You may need to rotate the axle a
bit and try again if it it is stubborn. When re-fitting the axle, insure the
gap in the retaining ring at the end of the axle stub is facing down.

Old May 5th 06, 01:35 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.mazda.miata

Chas Hurst wrote:

> The whole axle, including the green part pulls out of the final drive. Pry
> between the final drive case and the cv joint (the green thing) with a
> flat/crow bar and the axle stub pops out. You may need to rotate the axle a
> bit and try again if it it is stubborn. When re-fitting the axle, insure the
> gap in the retaining ring at the end of the axle stub is facing down.

Thanks Chas!
Luckily, I am selling these parts and will not have to put them back
together myself, but I could just see myself screwing up one of the more
valuable parts while taking it off of the car.

Working on differentials at all is one area that I have had very little
experience with until now.
I removed one from a 1990 model, but it had open bolts on the
halfshafts, iirc.

Thanks again,

Pat

E46 Ci - Rear Tray & Folding Seats Noises Class 1 BMW 3 November 11th 04 09:21 AM
Rear amped speakers vitonxl Audi 1 October 17th 04 08:38 PM
No rear A/C in 1999 Grand Caravan Anon Dodge 4 June 5th 04 02:16 PM