Owners manual

Old May 1st 06, 11:57 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.mazda.miata

Default Owners manual

I recently bought a 2000 Miata, 5-speed.

Whoever cleaned the car out REALLY cleaned it out, so much so that I didn't
get an owners manual.

Can anybody tell me HOW MUCH of WHAT WEIGHT fluid is the full level of the
5-speed transmission.

Thanks in advance,

Tim

Old May 2nd 06, 02:38 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.mazda.miata

On Mon, 01 May 2006 22:57:02 +0000, Healeyman wrote:

> I recently bought a 2000 Miata, 5-speed.
>
> Whoever cleaned the car out REALLY cleaned it out, so much so that I
> didn't get an owners manual.
>
> Can anybody tell me HOW MUCH of WHAT WEIGHT fluid is the full level of the
> 5-speed transmission.
>
> Thanks in advance,
>
> Tim

Tim,

You can grab a PDF file of the owner's manual from Mazda's Web site.
Identical to the printed one.

Frank
Old May 2nd 06, 04:01 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.mazda.miata

Frank,

Thanks for the tip. I have been there and got the schematic, but didn't
think to get the owner's manual.

Tim

news

Old May 2nd 06, 04:52 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.mazda.miata

Chris D'Agnolo wrote:
> 2 qts does it, technically it's just under that but after you drain it you
> (best, if you can, to get the car level) just fill it till it starts to run
> back out of the fill hole in the side of the tranny. If you haven't done
> this keep in mind, you need a fluid pump to get the fluid up and in there.
> Auto stores sell different types and it can be a bit of a pain in the _ _ _.
> Redline MTL is considered very good and while you're at it you might want to
> do the 'turret' oil, down in the base of the shifter. More important than
> that is probably to drain and fill the differential. Redline makes an
> excellent product for this also, I'm thinking it's the 90w gear oil IIRC.
> Oh, one quart will do the diff.
>
> Good luck,
> Chris
> 99BBB

If he is doing the turret fluid, then he will need to remove the center
console.
Once you do this, you can snake a tube down into the transmission case
filler hole from above and pour the fluid in while sitting in the driver
or passenger seat.
I found this to be easier than dealing with a pump from beneath the car.
YMMV. If you do fill it this way, lay some old towels or something
around the shifter area to catch any spilled or dripping fluid.

The differential will still need a pump, but it is at least a little
easier to access than the tranny.

Pat
Old May 3rd 06, 05:16 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.mazda.miata

>>>I like the fill from above idea! I'll remember that.

Me too. I was already planning to drain from the bottom and slightly
overfill the transmission from the top.

Tim