Keep or sell cheap?

Old May 1st 06, 11:56 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.mazda.miata

Default Keep or sell cheap?

I have a '97 Miata, with 93K miles on it.

About 2 months ago, I started getting "random misfire" codes on the
check engine light. Been there before, so I replaced the plugs and wires.
2 days later, the code came back. I took it to the local mechanic,
who chewed me out for not using NGK wires, then replaced the wires
and plugs again (with NGKs).

2 days later, the light was back on, same code. I took it back, and
he replaced the ignition coil.

3 days later, the light was back on, same code. I took it back again,
and he threw up his arms and said, "I dunno. It runs good, so drive
it for a while, and we'll see.".

Fast-forward a month. The check engine light flashes all the time
now, although it's still running good. I suspect at this point I've
blown up the cat, although I haven't taken it back to see. On top
of that, the clutch has started squeaking (yes, I checked the fluid
and it's full).

I suspect a trip to the dealer is going to have to happen. Reading
miata.net leads me to believe that the only things left to replace
are the crankshaft position sensor and the computer. On top of the
clutch and the cat.

I suspect that's going to be a $3K bill. I have a motorcycle now,
so I've only put less then 3K miles on it in the last 6 months.
It doesn't seem to be burning oil, although there was some on the
plugs when I first replaced them.

Anyone ever had problems with random misfires that couldn't be
tracked down? Did you ever fix it? The odd thing is that it
doesn't sound like it's misfiring, but I don't think it has the
power it used to. Before the check engine light started flashing
continuously, I could make it flash, but only at about 4K RPMs.
Lower then that, and it seemed to stay off (or steady).

I'm trying to decide: Do I fix it or do I sell it cheap and buy
something else? I don't want to put $3K into it only to find out
that the check engine light comes back on (leading to another
blown cat in a month). But I hate to sell it, too, especially with
how little I drive it these days.

Any advice?

Thanks!

Tina Marie
--
http://www.tripacerdriver.com "...One of the main causes
of the fall of the Roman Empire was that, lacking zero, they had no way
Old May 2nd 06, 02:03 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.mazda.miata

On Mon, 1 May 2006 17:56:11 -0500, Tina Marie
> wrote:

>I have a '97 Miata, with 93K miles on it.
>
>About 2 months ago, I started getting "random misfire" codes on the
>check engine light. Been there before, so I replaced the plugs and wires.
>2 days later, the code came back. I took it to the local mechanic,
>who chewed me out for not using NGK wires, then replaced the wires
>and plugs again (with NGKs).
>
>2 days later, the light was back on, same code. I took it back, and
>he replaced the ignition coil.
>
>3 days later, the light was back on, same code. I took it back again,
>and he threw up his arms and said, "I dunno. It runs good, so drive
>it for a while, and we'll see.".
>
>Fast-forward a month. The check engine light flashes all the time
>now, although it's still running good. I suspect at this point I've
>blown up the cat, although I haven't taken it back to see. On top
>of that, the clutch has started squeaking (yes, I checked the fluid
>and it's full).
>
>I suspect a trip to the dealer is going to have to happen. Reading
>miata.net leads me to believe that the only things left to replace
>are the crankshaft position sensor and the computer. On top of the
>clutch and the cat.
>
>I suspect that's going to be a $3K bill. I have a motorcycle now,
>so I've only put less then 3K miles on it in the last 6 months.
>It doesn't seem to be burning oil, although there was some on the
>plugs when I first replaced them.
>
>Anyone ever had problems with random misfires that couldn't be
>tracked down? Did you ever fix it? The odd thing is that it
>doesn't sound like it's misfiring, but I don't think it has the
>power it used to. Before the check engine light started flashing
>continuously, I could make it flash, but only at about 4K RPMs.
>Lower then that, and it seemed to stay off (or steady).
>
>I'm trying to decide: Do I fix it or do I sell it cheap and buy
>something else? I don't want to put $3K into it only to find out
>that the check engine light comes back on (leading to another
>blown cat in a month). But I hate to sell it, too, especially with
>how little I drive it these days.
>
>Any advice?
>
>Thanks!
>
>Tina Marie

We could be a lot more helpful if you posted the CEL code.

Old May 2nd 06, 04:48 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.mazda.miata

In article >, Natman wrote:
> We could be a lot more helpful if you posted the CEL code.

PO300. Sometimes PO30X, where X is the cylinder. But it's not always
the same one, and usually by the time I get it read, it's just a 300.

Tina Marie

AWA [OFFER] Sell Entire Stock Original Renault Items [email protected] General 0 December 31st 05 04:51 PM
I'll never sell Raybender BMW 19 November 17th 05 01:46 AM
CHEAP Grand Voyager-Grand Caravan Wanted CaravanGuy Chrysler 2 September 24th 05 01:20 AM
Ford agrees to sell Hertz for $5.6 billion Grover C. McCoury III Ford Mustang 1 September 14th 05 02:43 PM
Sell A Car www.VehixTrader.com General 0 December 27th 04 09:43 PM