Flexable friend

Old May 31st 05, 12:06 PM
Paulinho

Default Flexable friend

Well my 3.2ghz pc is beging to show signs of its age.... so I`m thinking
about building a new SLI pc... is it worth it or should I hold out for the
new range of GPU cards...

Any tips ideas... as it`s my credit card that will take the brunt

Old May 31st 05, 05:57 PM
Mitch_A

Thats still a very decent chip. Id bet many here would love to have a 3gig+
cpu.

With all the new dual core CPUs otw Id wait for sure. AMD has its new
64bit/DC that look very impressive although still at a premium price.
Depending upon your mobo you may not even need to upg it. Intel has its D
series Dual cores coming also at a reasonable price.

Id wait.

Mitch

Old June 1st 05, 04:14 AM
Sting32

Gulp, 32.ghz Is long in the tooth? shheeeit a pony man, I only got 2.4 ghz
not that long ago...

Old June 1st 05, 02:23 PM
Darus

In what way is it showing its age? What are you running that you feel
would benefit from a faster proc? Don't get me wrong, some ppl. like to
have the latest and greatest and that's fine, but I can't see a 3.2ghz
cpu being a MAJOR issue in most computing areas, especially where you
are posting in a sim racing forum.

Old June 1st 05, 08:32 PM
J.R.

"Paulinho" > wrote in message
> Well my 3.2ghz pc is beging to show signs of its age.... so I`m thinking
> about building a new SLI pc... is it worth it or should I hold out for the
> new range of GPU cards...
>

> Any tips ideas... as it`s my credit card that will take the brunt

o.o

My tip would be to send the old one to me

Old June 1st 05, 09:38 PM
Paulinho

"Darus" > wrote in message
oups.com...
> In what way is it showing its age? What are you running that you feel
> would benefit from a faster proc? Don't get me wrong, some ppl. like to
> have the latest and greatest and that's fine, but I can't see a 3.2ghz
> cpu being a MAJOR issue in most computing areas, especially where you
> are posting in a sim racing forum.

Well I own a AMD athlon XP3200+ ( 2.19ghz I think is the true speed ), it
has 1gb of kingston ram and a nice GeForce FX5950... I built the system
about a year ago, and although it does play most of the latest sims... It
just seems that there not crazy fast.. and all suffer from a little slow
down, or glitch... now the system is very clean with little or no background
operations... yet I find games like GP4 and LFS slow to the visual eye......

I just thought I would start to price up stuff ready for my end of summer
bonus...

Old June 2nd 05, 01:00 PM
No One

Paulinho wrote:
> "Darus" > wrote in message
> oups.com...
>
>>In what way is it showing its age? What are you running that you feel
>>would benefit from a faster proc? Don't get me wrong, some ppl. like to
>>have the latest and greatest and that's fine, but I can't see a 3.2ghz
>>cpu being a MAJOR issue in most computing areas, especially where you
>>are posting in a sim racing forum.
>>

> Well I own a AMD athlon XP3200+ ( 2.19ghz I think is the true speed ), it
> has 1gb of kingston ram and a nice GeForce FX5950... I built the system
> about a year ago, and although it does play most of the latest sims... It
> just seems that there not crazy fast.. and all suffer from a little slow
> down, or glitch... now the system is very clean with little or no background
> operations... yet I find games like GP4 and LFS slow to the visual eye......
>
> I just thought I would start to price up stuff ready for my end of summer
> bonus...

All versions of Windows get slow over time.
Old June 3rd 05, 06:52 PM
Larry

Dude, you REALLY need to come up with better subject lines.

I was expecting links to Pr0n sites.

LOL

-Larry

Old October 13th 05, 04:51 AM
Doug Hook

The CPU isn't your problem. Get a better video card. That 5950 is your
bottleneck. You need a nice X850XT or a 6800Ultra and another gig of ram
(I'm assuming you have AGP and not PCI-express) and it will seem like a new
system.Of course a faster processor always helps. See what the maximum your
motherboard supports. You could sell your old stuff on ebay to make it a
little easier. That should hold you for another year until the current
hardware comes down a bit in price.

Also beware of dual core chips. I have been reading alot about them and they
are not as good at gaming as you would expect. Better at doing more than 1
thing at a time, like burning cd's while downloading and surfing.