Major 1999 Chrysler LHS Problem

Old January 10th 05, 08:01 PM
groulex

Default Major 1999 Chrysler LHS Problem

After driving the car approximately 200 miles on the Interstate, the
engine will suddenly shutdown as if it were not getting any gas. The
engine will not start immediately, but after a 30 minute cool down it
will restart and be good for another 100 to 200 miles, until the
problem occurs again. This has occured several times.

The problem has never occured during city driving and there is no
trouble code in the computer.

Any help would be much appreciated.

Old January 10th 05, 09:01 PM
Daniel J. Stern

On Mon, 10 Jan 2005, groulex wrote:

> After driving the car approximately 200 miles on the Interstate, the
> engine will suddenly shutdown as if it were not getting any gas. The
> engine will not start immediately, but after a 30 minute cool down it
> will restart and be good for another 100 to 200 miles, until the problem
> occurs again. This has occured several times.
>
> The problem has never occured during city driving and there is no
> trouble code in the computer.
>
> Any help would be much appreciated.

That's a fun one. The *proper* way to diagnose the problem is for the car
to be driven until it stalls with a recording data scanner hooked up.
Once the engine stalls, the recorded data can be analysed so that it can
be seen which datastream(s) went silent, in what sequence and under what
prevailing underhood conditions. It's likely *something* is quitting when
it gets good and hot, but it could be any of many sensors located in
several different systems on and in the engine, but it's difficult to
guess what. Camshaft position sensor, crankshaft position sensor, MAF or
MAP sensor, engine temperature sensor, throttle position sensor, ECM
itself, etc., or even something not on this list.

Guessing at it will likely wind up more expensive than diagnosis and
repair.

DS
Old January 10th 05, 09:01 PM
Daniel J. Stern

Old January 10th 05, 11:56 PM
Matt Whiting

groulex wrote:

> After driving the car approximately 200 miles on the Interstate, the
> engine will suddenly shutdown as if it were not getting any gas. The
> engine will not start immediately, but after a 30 minute cool down it
> will restart and be good for another 100 to 200 miles, until the
> problem occurs again. This has occured several times.
>
> The problem has never occured during city driving and there is no
> trouble code in the computer.
>
> Any help would be much appreciated.

I had a similar experience recently with my 96 GV and the culprit was
the fuel pump. Well, I'm reasonably convinced now that I've run three
tanks through the van with no recurrence.

Matt

Old January 10th 05, 11:56 PM
Matt Whiting

Old January 10th 05, 11:59 PM
Matt Whiting

Daniel J. Stern wrote:

> On Mon, 10 Jan 2005, groulex wrote:
>

>>After driving the car approximately 200 miles on the Interstate, the
>>engine will suddenly shutdown as if it were not getting any gas. The
>>engine will not start immediately, but after a 30 minute cool down it
>>will restart and be good for another 100 to 200 miles, until the problem
>>occurs again. This has occured several times.
>>
>>The problem has never occured during city driving and there is no
>>trouble code in the computer.
>>
>>Any help would be much appreciated.

> That's a fun one. The *proper* way to diagnose the problem is for the car
> to be driven until it stalls with a recording data scanner hooked up.
> Once the engine stalls, the recorded data can be analysed so that it can
> be seen which datastream(s) went silent, in what sequence and under what
> prevailing underhood conditions. It's likely *something* is quitting when
> it gets good and hot, but it could be any of many sensors located in
> several different systems on and in the engine, but it's difficult to
> guess what. Camshaft position sensor, crankshaft position sensor, MAF or
> MAP sensor, engine temperature sensor, throttle position sensor, ECM
> itself, etc., or even something not on this list.
>
> Guessing at it will likely wind up more expensive than diagnosis and
> repair.

Yes, that will that detect a flakey fuel pump? The dealer finally put a
fuel pressure gauge on my van and when it acted up saw the fuel pressure
was low and erratic. The problem didn't set any scan code that was
especially meaningful. It set "multiple cylinder misfire" a couple of
times and "lean mixture on the upstream O2 sensor" one time. Both
obviously related to a faulty fuel pump, but they also could have been
related to other problems.

Matt

Old January 10th 05, 11:59 PM
Matt Whiting

Old January 11th 05, 01:58 AM
Steve B.

> After driving the car approximately 200 miles on the Interstate, the
> engine will suddenly shutdown as if it were not getting any gas. The
> engine will not start immediately, but after a 30 minute cool down it
> will restart and be good for another 100 to 200 miles, until the problem
> occurs again. This has occured several times.

One thing to try next time it happens... Get out and open the gas cap
and then try to start the car again. This may or may not apply to
your car but I had a similar issue once on a different make vehicle.
The evap emissions system had failed and the car would run until the
vacuum in the fuel tank overcame the pumps ability to pump. Open the
cap and things equalize. Again this may not even be possible on your
vehicle.... just a guess.

Steve B.
Old January 11th 05, 01:58 AM
Steve B.

Old January 13th 05, 02:41 AM
RM

I also think fuel pump is the problem as I just went through it with my '99
300M a month ago. Drove me crazy and stranded me for several times -- just
needed to let it sit about half an hour or longer and then it started up OK.
I told the dealer to keep the darn thing until they found a problem. They
drove for a number of days with diagnostics hooked up and it finally
stranded their guy also (there is justice, after all!). Ended up being fuel
pump and they replaced it. I am also on about 3rd or 4th tank of gas and
looks good so far. Good Luck!