Strange Problem with 1999 Town & Country

Old December 21st 04, 05:46 AM
IPavlov

Default Strange Problem with 1999 Town & Country

I have what seems to be serious problem with 1999 Town
and Country: all of a sudden it seems to have stuck
on a middle shift and automatic transmission doesn't
seem to shift as you accelerate - seems as if
something wrong with transmission. And together with
that "Service Engine Soon" lighted up and what is
particularly strange speedometer and mileage counter
stopped working.
I'm at a loss what could it be. If it is transmission
breakdown, then why is speedometer is at zero no matter
what speed you drive.. Or could it be that some
electronic component controlling all of those parts
broke down?

Any advice will be greatly appreciated.

IP.

Old December 21st 04, 06:48 AM
Daniel J. Stern

On Mon, 20 Dec 2004, IPavlov wrote:

> I have what seems to be serious problem with 1999 Town and Country: all
> of a sudden it seems to have stuck on a middle shift and automatic
> transmission doesn't seem to shift as you accelerate - seems as if
> something wrong with transmission. And together with that "Service
> Engine Soon" lighted up and what is particularly strange speedometer and
> mileage counter stopped working. I'm at a loss what could it be. If it
> is transmission breakdown, then why is speedometer is at zero no matter
> what speed you drive.. Or could it be that some electronic component
> controlling all of those parts broke down?

Output speed sensor, most likely. It tells the computer AND the
speedometer how fast the vehicle's moving, and this info is relied upon to
shift the gears. Get it in to a competent transmission diagnostician (not
the dealer, and not Scaamco) NOW. The longer you drive the vehicle in
"limp home" (permanent 2nd gear) mode, the more damage you'll do.
Old December 21st 04, 06:48 AM
Daniel J. Stern

Old December 21st 04, 07:15 AM
IPavlov

Thanks for the info. It really starts to make sense.
I drove home in "limp mode" about eight miles at about 30 miles/hr.
I'm wondering how to take it for diagnostics and repairs - would
driving another 5 to 15 miles at slow speed be a bad idea?
Also could you recommend

IP.

Old December 21st 04, 07:15 AM
IPavlov

Old December 21st 04, 07:26 AM
IPavlov

Thanks for the info. It really makes sense now.
Do you think driving additional 5 to 15 miles at low speed
to take it for repairs would be a bad idea?

Old December 21st 04, 07:26 AM
IPavlov

Old December 21st 04, 04:57 PM
Daniel J. Stern

On Mon, 20 Dec 2004, IPavlov wrote:

> Thanks for the info. It really makes sense now.
> Do you think driving additional 5 to 15 miles at low speed
> to take it for repairs would be a bad idea?

No. Just don't keep using the van as though nothing were the matter with
it. THAT is probably the single biggest factor in the high complaint rate
with this transmission, is that when a fault develops, the transmission
doesn't stop working. If it did, the damage would get no larger. Because
it has this "limp home" mode, many people just keep on drivin' till they
notice something's weird, then they keep on drivin' till they get around
to thinking about making an appointment to have it looked at, then they
cancel the appointment 'cause otherwise how are Billy and Suzie going to
get to karate practice, then they keep on drivin' till they make another
appointment, etc. Meanwhile, the transmission is under grossly extreme
internal stress and the failure grows in extent and expense to fix.

DS

Old December 21st 04, 04:57 PM
Daniel J. Stern

Old December 21st 04, 06:52 PM
maxpower

Replace the output speed sensor, there are 2 sensors on the front of the
transmission, the one furthest to the drivers side, at the corner is the one
that is bad, The part is about 30 bucks
Glenn Beasley
Chrysler Tech
news