Whining sound when RPM needle moves up?

Old July 29th 06, 04:47 PM posted to rec.autos.tech

Default Whining sound when RPM needle moves up?

Hello,

My '98 Mustang suddenly has a problem. As I accelerate, it makes a
whining sound that starts quietly and intensifies along with the RPMs,
until it shifts into second (it's automatic transmission), and then it
starts over again, i.e. the whining always matches the RPM speed. By
the time it's in fourth or so it is quiet, most likely because I'm no
longer accelerating and the RPMs are stable.

There doesn't SEEM to be any transmission problem, as far as I can
tell. No delays in shifting, no grinding, nothing amiss other than that
sound.

Any ideas?

Thanks,
Martin

Old July 29th 06, 07:00 PM posted to rec.autos.tech
DaddyMonkey

Go outside to your Mustang... leave the ignition key inside the house.

Pop the hood. Grab the fan blade and try to move it from side-to-side.
Do the same thing for the A/C compressor, the power steering pump, and
any other accessories where the belt meets the pulley.
There should be no 'play' or 'give'.

Now, go and get you ignition key and start your Mustang... leave
everything else 'as is' (with hood up and transmission in Park). Turn
the steering wheel side-to-side, (check for noise) then increase the
RPM's to about 1500 and turn wheel (Ck for noise). Then back at idle,
turn the AC on (fan /low) ((Ck for noise)) and then increase to 1500ish
RPM's
(Ck for noise). Now, turn the AC fan on high, headlights ON
(bright/high beam), fourway flashers (Hazard lights) and any other
accessory to electrically stress the alternator (Ck for noise as rpm
increase).

Drop the engine back to idle and go and get a clean white cloth or white
paper towel. Pull out the trans dip-stick and wipe it clean and
re-insert the dip-stick. What does the white towel look like? It should
be pinkish to blood red. Now remove the dip-stick again and check the
fluid level. It should be within the hash marks (idling level and in
Park).

I am so sorry that this post is long, but noises are one of the hardest
things to diagnose over a computer<G>.

Good luck,
Dave

P.S. (note) I ASSuME that within 8years you HAVE had your power
steering fluid flushed and changed your transmission filter and had your
transmission fluid flushed.

Old July 29th 06, 09:01 PM posted to rec.autos.tech

Thanks Dave. I'll try all that. Although now I'm beginning to think it
can be nothing other than major tranny problems, because when I'm
reversing the thing slips back into park. Check the tranny fluid and
it's fine.

DaddyMonkey wrote:
> Go outside to your Mustang... leave the ignition key inside the house.
>
> Pop the hood. Grab the fan blade and try to move it from side-to-side.
> Do the same thing for the A/C compressor, the power steering pump, and
> any other accessories where the belt meets the pulley.
> There should be no 'play' or 'give'.
>
> Now, go and get you ignition key and start your Mustang... leave
> everything else 'as is' (with hood up and transmission in Park). Turn
> the steering wheel side-to-side, (check for noise) then increase the
> RPM's to about 1500 and turn wheel (Ck for noise). Then back at idle,
> turn the AC on (fan /low) ((Ck for noise)) and then increase to 1500ish
> RPM's
> (Ck for noise). Now, turn the AC fan on high, headlights ON
> (bright/high beam), fourway flashers (Hazard lights) and any other
> accessory to electrically stress the alternator (Ck for noise as rpm
> increase).
>
> Drop the engine back to idle and go and get a clean white cloth or white
> paper towel. Pull out the trans dip-stick and wipe it clean and
> re-insert the dip-stick. What does the white towel look like? It should
> be pinkish to blood red. Now remove the dip-stick again and check the
> fluid level. It should be within the hash marks (idling level and in
> Park).
>
> I am so sorry that this post is long, but noises are one of the hardest
> things to diagnose over a computer<G>.
>
> Good luck,
> Dave
>

> P.S. (note) I ASSuME that within 8years you HAVE had your power
> steering fluid flushed and changed your transmission filter and had your
> transmission fluid flushed.

'Click' sound under XJ L.W.(ßill) Hughes III Jeep 4 June 1st 05 01:20 AM
Fluttering sound in vent increases puzzlement Mike Rocket J. Squirrel Elliott VW air cooled 3 May 15th 05 05:33 AM
93 Accord ABS lite & whining sound?????????? Paul Honda 2 December 12th 04 10:31 PM
Strange sound KoStAhR Alfa Romeo 0 August 31st 04 11:07 PM
Jingling sound from leaf spring shackle dcbryan 4x4 5 July 5th 04 06:47 PM