GTR and Starforce

Old December 29th 05, 03:56 PM posted to rec.autos.simulators

Default GTR and Starforce

"Steve Simpson" > wrote in message
>> And THEIR FUD was successful by your reply. It's working.
>>
>> Their so called contest, if you read the rules, is a farce.
>> Their "prize" is ONLY if you can prove a HARDWARE failure.
>> No reward if your OS gets baked because of a SOFTWARE incompatibility
>> with STARFORCE.

> Has that happened to you? I don't know anyone who's had their Windows
> damaged by Starforce. Starforce cleaner removes it 100% anyway so it
> can't do any harm.

Yes. Now I haven't heard of anyone who's hardware has been damaged. That's
why this contest if a farce.
More than a few folks have mentioned issues with their SOFTWARE and
Starforce. Myself included.
See the simhq.com thread for that.

> If anything, it's the pirates who are spreading FUD about Starforce
> because they really don't like it (even though it's still relatively easy
> to bypass)

BS, Starforce NOCD cracks for most popular titles are readily available.
It's the only way I can use my Silent Hunter III DVD.

> The bottom line is that you're either a communist if you hate copy
> protection or you're a capitalist if you realise it's a necessary
> incovenience. ;-)

Ahhh, yah right .... **** poor analogy there. ;-)

So I own the game, install it and it screws up a perfectly running system.
That's not being inconvenienced, that's not hating copy protection, that's
supporting your hobby
then getting screwed by a subcontractor making a **** poor CP product.

Old December 30th 05, 12:53 AM posted to rec.autos.simulators

> Yes. Now I haven't heard of anyone who's hardware has been damaged.
> That's why this contest if a farce.

Some of the idiotic pirates were making these ridiculous claims, hence they
introduced the farcical contest to shut them up. It worked.

> More than a few folks have mentioned issues with their SOFTWARE and
> Starforce. Myself included.
> See the simhq.com thread for that.

These instances are very rare. I use Daemon Tools and Alcohol 120% and have
no issue with either.
Send an email to starforce directly if you're one of the very unlucky few.

>> If anything, it's the pirates who are spreading FUD about Starforce
>> because they really don't like it (even though it's still relatively easy
>> to bypass)
>>

> BS, Starforce NOCD cracks for most popular titles are readily available.
> It's the only way I can use my Silent Hunter III DVD.

Excellent! So you can point all of us to NoCD cracks for GTL & GTR ?
That's great to hear.

>> The bottom line is that you're either a communist if you hate copy
>> protection or you're a capitalist if you realise it's a necessary
>> incovenience. ;-)

> Ahhh, yah right .... **** poor analogy there. ;-)

> So I own the game, install it and it screws up a perfectly running system.
> That's not being inconvenienced, that's not hating copy protection, that's
> supporting your hobby
> then getting screwed by a subcontractor making a **** poor CP product.

Again, you're in the extreme minority. It's not good to make broad
generalisations. Lots of people have compatibility issues with software but
do you hear them running around saying all incompatible software should be
abolished?

Old December 30th 05, 01:12 AM posted to rec.autos.simulators

First you say;

"Steve Simpson" > wrote in message
>>> The bottom line is that you're either a communist if you hate copy
>>> protection or you're a capitalist if you realise it's a necessary
>>> incovenience. ;-)

Then you say;

> It's not good to make broad generalisations.

ROTFLMAO!

Old December 30th 05, 01:13 AM posted to rec.autos.simulators

>> Has that happened to you? I don't know anyone who's had their Windows
>> damaged by Starforce. Starforce cleaner removes it 100% anyway so it
>> can't
>> do any harm.
>>
>> If anything, it's the pirates who are spreading FUD about Starforce
>> because
>> they really don't like it (even though it's still relatively easy to
>> bypass)
>>

> My guess is that you work for either RIAA, MPAA, or the news media.

Nope, just a regular consumer.

>> The bottom line is that you're either a communist if you hate copy
>> protection or you're a capitalist if you realise it's a necessary
>> incovenience. ;-)

> That quite funny. So if you don't want to be treated like a criminal,
> then you are a commie? You're a good guy if you support this kind of
> crap?

You didn't see the wink? It's not a simple problem and there's no simple
answer. Nobody likes to be treated like a criminal (one thing I'm dead
against is a tax on blank storage media and other such nonsense) but the
bottom line is that game piracy is rampant. If you think it's not then you
really must be off with the pixies. Society at present has 2 real choices -
try to prevent it with copy protection or have a police crackdown. There
are other options such as free games with advertising all through them but
it's hard to see that happening when sim makers are charged for licences.
:-\

Old December 30th 05, 01:15 AM posted to rec.autos.simulators

> Then you say;
>
>> It's not good to make broad generalisations.

> ROTFLMAO!

You missed the wink too? Man people are getting blind these days....

Old December 30th 05, 01:17 AM posted to rec.autos.simulators

I dont like Starforce either but its very unobtrusive for the honest folk.
Trust me there is much worse than Starforce and if fools keep boycotting,
complaining and stealing we will see that day sooner than later.

In the mean time the last of the true Sim dev's will just dry up because
(already limited) sales have dropped due to SF boycotters. Beyond sales the
investors will refuse to invest in a developer that will not try and protect
the investors properties (whether it works or not). So thanks to you and
the rest of the idiots we no longer have simulations. Is that the goal?

Just look at Sony's copy protection/eula if you want to whine, not SF.

Nothing to do with political affiliation though Id hazard a guess to which
party the majority of pirates/whiners do belong (let me guess you have a
ponytail)

He much to smart to work for the media but it sound right up your alley.

Mitch

"Yippee38" <

Old December 30th 05, 02:19 AM posted to rec.autos.simulators

>> Then you say;
>>
>>> It's not good to make broad generalisations.

>> ROTFLMAO!

> You missed the wink too? Man people are getting blind these days....

Oh I saw it, just it was too funny you say that ... ;-)

Old December 30th 05, 02:37 AM posted to rec.autos.simulators

"Mitch_A" > wrote in message
. net...
>I dont like Starforce either but its very unobtrusive for the honest folk.

This issue gets debated constantly. The twist this time is some of the
NON-Pirates are ****ed.
Besides, who's PC is it anyhow, yours or Ubisofts?

If a game wants to install this form of CP, then WARN people
clearly on the box that a) It's Starforce and b) there's a potential risk to
their PCs.
Not like you can return the game after opening now adays any how.

Because a) and b) aren't happening, people have to resort to plan c).
Which is let everyone else try the game, and/or find out if in fact its SF
protected.
Then if they really want it, wait for a crack before buying, or don't bother
and pass.

> Trust me there is much worse than Starforce and if fools keep boycotting,
> complaining and stealing we will see that day sooner than later.

Everyone is intitiled to buy whatever games they want.
If you want to call that a boycott so be it. The decision to buy or not to
buy
is the ONLY way to voice our opinion in this market.

I don't buy software to float share holders boats, I buy it if I like it and
I trust
it. I buy a lot of software every year (I think I'm in the $700 bracket
now).

> In the mean time the last of the true Sim dev's will just dry up because
> (already limited) sales have dropped due to SF boycotters.

Where's your source for that?
The SF devs must be worried to some degree because of their contest/fud
event.
2005 saw a drop in game sales, but I don't think the SF "boycotters" caused
that.

>Beyond sales the investors will refuse to invest in a developer that will
>not try and protect the investors properties (whether it works or not).

Sound practice to me, or they could invest in companies that don't cause
"waves" with their CP software.

>So thanks to you and the rest of the idiots we no longer have simulations.
>Is that the goal?

So people who refuse to buy SF protected games, are idiots! Idiots who also
want to see the end of simulations? Yeah ... right, come on.

> Just look at Sony's copy protection/eula if you want to whine, not SF.

They are/were idiots in regards to that stunt. Caught with their pants down
big time.

> Nothing to do with political affiliation though Id hazard a guess to which
> party the majority of pirates/whiners do belong (let me guess you have
> a ponytail)

It's not as easy as that. It's too easy to paint everyone with broad
brushes.
I suspect as many neoCons voted NO to SF as there have been neoLibs.
If you don't like Liberals, are you now a whiner? If you don't like Pepsi,
also a whiner?
I'm not sure what the solution is to piracy, maybe they should go after the
large piraters.
You don't hear that on the news do you.

Old December 30th 05, 03:04 AM posted to rec.autos.simulators

We can't go after the largest pirates that live in Russia and China and most
of the 3rd world for that matter. Should we abandon the terrorists and
focus on the software pirates so you don't have to have SF on your PC?

What other choice is there but some form of protection on the end users side
that is reasonable? Starforce fully meets that need and for the honest
user it isnt a big deal.

If youre so worried about software installations maybe you need to avoid a
PC altogether? Did you use the MS auto update recently? How about a AV
definition file d/l? I don't like notepad (its not on the box) so I'm
boycotting Microsoft..... Does that make sense??

Lunatic activists that have more time on their hands than sense in there
heads...

Mitch