Block Cell Phones In Theaters?

Old December 22nd 05, 06:17 AM posted to rec.autos.driving

Default Block Cell Phones In Theaters?

Scott en Aztlán, > was motivated to say
this in rec.autos.driving on Wed, 21 Dec 2005 07:25:03 -0800:
> On more than one occasion I have heard cellphones ringing elsewhere in
> the cabin while the plane was in flight. I'm living proof that the
> line they feed you about cellphones interfering with the plane's
> electronics is 99.999% bull****. The observation that a cellphone in
> the air will "see" multiple cell towers is a valid one, but no airline
> actually cites this as the reason they are making you turn your cell
> phone off.

Because they don't want to cite the real reason for the cellphone ban.
How much is the per minute charge for one of those GTE Airphones (or
what ever they call them now)??

Old December 22nd 05, 06:20 AM posted to rec.autos.driving

Dave Head, > was motivated to say this in
rec.autos.driving on Thu, 22 Dec 2005 00:43:11 GMT:
> Yeah, it is... except for the .001% where it does.
> You wanna be on that plane, hmmmm????

I'd be more concerned about the wing(s) falling off, the landing gear
screwing up or the pilot missing 1/2 of a snow covered runway...

Old December 22nd 05, 04:36 PM posted to rec.autos.driving

On Thu, 22 Dec 2005 00:17:58 -0500, necromancer
> wrote:

>> The observation that a cellphone in
>> the air will "see" multiple cell towers is a valid one, but no airline
>> actually cites this as the reason they are making you turn your cell
>> phone off.

>Because they don't want to cite the real reason for the cellphone ban.
>How much is the per minute charge for one of those GTE Airphones (or
>what ever they call them now)??

Luckily the true solution is on the horizon. I believe they are
already experiemnting with "microcells" inside the plane to which all
the on-board cell phones would link (that in itself will be a trick,
as they'll need one micro-cell for AMPS, one for GSM, one for TDMA,
and one for CDMA) and which, in turn, would be linked to the ground in
a manner similar to the way current airphones are linked. This lets
people use their phones during the flight without screwing up the
cellular system on the ground.

I suspect we'd have seen these introduced already if the airlines
could figure out a good way to charge us $5/minute to use the
service...

Old December 22nd 05, 06:26 PM posted to rec.autos.driving

Scott en Aztlán wrote:
> On Thu, 22 Dec 2005 00:17:58 -0500, necromancer
> > wrote:
>
> >> The observation that a cellphone in
> >> the air will "see" multiple cell towers is a valid one, but no airline
> >> actually cites this as the reason they are making you turn your cell
> >> phone off.

> >Because they don't want to cite the real reason for the cellphone ban.
> >How much is the per minute charge for one of those GTE Airphones (or
> >what ever they call them now)??

> Luckily the true solution is on the horizon. I believe they are
> already experiemnting with "microcells" inside the plane to which all
> the on-board cell phones would link (that in itself will be a trick,
> as they'll need one micro-cell for AMPS, one for GSM, one for TDMA,
> and one for CDMA) and which, in turn, would be linked to the ground in
> a manner similar to the way current airphones are linked. This lets
> people use their phones during the flight without screwing up the
> cellular system on the ground.
>
> I suspect we'd have seen these introduced already if the airlines
> could figure out a good way to charge us $5/minute to use the
> service...

I assumed everyone on here was aware of:

http://money.cnn.com/2004/12/09/tech...ones_inflight/

Second half of the article discusses the Qualcomm demo.

http://www.fcc.gov/cgb/consumerfacts/cellonplanes.html

Dave

Old December 23rd 05, 01:32 AM posted to rec.autos.driving

DTJ wrote:
> On Tue, 20 Dec 2005 16:53:55 +1100, Sir Lex > wrote:
>
> Let me type louder for you. CELL PHONES DO NOT ****ING INTERFERE WITH
> ANY ****ING THING. Is that clearer now?

In my experience, every mobile/cell phone I have used or used by friends
or family members have caused interference to some degree with any
nearby radio and television of any brand. Australian standards state
that all speed cameras must be able to detect radio any interference,
including that caused by mobile phones, and automatically shut down
until the interference is gone so as not to cause wrong readings. My
local blood bank has signs up requesting that all mobile phones be
turned off as they interfere with the expensive medical equipment there.

Now what am I going to believe, professional medical opinion,
professional government opinion and my own experiences with mobile
phones causing interference with lots of electrical devices? Or should
I listen to the rantings of a foul mouthed idiot who apparently thinks
he's king ****?

Old December 31st 05, 03:41 AM posted to rec.autos.driving

In article >,
Dave Head > wrote:
>On Tue, 20 Dec 2005 22:31:27 -0500, "JohnH" > wrote:
>
>>> They don't interfere with the systems on an airplane, either, but the
>>> FAA still tells everyone to turn their cell phones off unless the
>>> plane is at the gate.

>>Aircraft operation of cellphones is prohibited because airborne cell phones
>>can capture a disproportionate number of towers, plus the network is not
>>necessarily architected to hand off 500+mph exchanges.

>That's not the reason. The FAA doesn't give a hang about how many cell towers
>the phone might grab.

That's right. And they don't forbid use of cell phones during the flight.
result in a fully-depreciated one.
Old December 31st 05, 03:44 AM posted to rec.autos.driving

In article >,
Scott en Aztlán <newsgroup> wrote:

>electronics is 99.999% bull****. The observation that a cellphone in
>the air will "see" multiple cell towers is a valid one, but no airline
>actually cites this as the reason they are making you turn your cell
>phone off.

USAir cites "Federal regulations". Which is true; they don't specify
the agency.

result in a fully-depreciated one.