The Positive Side of Sloth

Old December 17th 05, 07:49 PM posted to rec.autos.driving

Default The Positive Side of Sloth

JohnH wrote:
> > -Kenny, who has never needed more than 2hrs to get down here, though

> You write software and you still have to drive to work? 4 hours a day, no
> less?
>
> What kind of backwoods state is California anyway? Haven't you gotten cable
> modems yet?

You think someone who writes software never has to meet with a client?
You think software installs/troubleshoots itself? Telecommuting is
nice, but it doesn't work every day.

Dave

Old December 17th 05, 10:53 PM posted to rec.autos.driving

On 17 Dec 2005 10:49:11 -0800, "Dave" > wrote:

>> You write software and you still have to drive to work? 4 hours a day, no
>> less?
>>
>> What kind of backwoods state is California anyway? Haven't you gotten cable
>> modems yet?

>You think someone who writes software never has to meet with a client?
>You think software installs/troubleshoots itself? Telecommuting is
>nice, but it doesn't work every day.

Some employers simply will not allow telecommuting. In their eyes, if
you're not in the office, you can't possibly be working.

The irony is, you can often get MORE work done when you're at home by
yourself, free from stupid meetings, needless interruptions, and
half-hour conversations by the water cooler. But some people will
never understand that.

Old December 18th 05, 12:55 AM posted to rec.autos.driving

Scott en Aztlán wrote:
> On 17 Dec 2005 10:49:11 -0800, "Dave" > wrote:
>
> >> You write software and you still have to drive to work? 4 hours a day,no
> >> less?
> >>
> >> What kind of backwoods state is California anyway? Haven't you gottencable
> >> modems yet?

> >You think someone who writes software never has to meet with a client?
> >You think software installs/troubleshoots itself? Telecommuting is
> >nice, but it doesn't work every day.

> Some employers simply will not allow telecommuting. In their eyes, if
> you're not in the office, you can't possibly be working.
>
> The irony is, you can often get MORE work done when you're at home by
> yourself, free from stupid meetings, needless interruptions, and
> half-hour conversations by the water cooler. But some people will
> never understand that.

I agree 100% with you. Telecommuting can be a great tool, even if it
just allows you to get work done then drive to the office outside of
peak hours. Unlike LA, San Diego's traffic from 10am till about 3pm is
pretty predictable and light, outside of seasonal backups at the
beaches and malls.

Another plus people forget about is I get work done while I make/eat
lunch, which means that I'm fed without wasting a half hour leaving the
bussiness park, office building, whatever and driving somewhere to get
something. That of course leads to buying food for 3 other people, one
of which will have an order with a mistake leading to a return trip and
more wasted time.

That and I start work the same time I'd be getting into traffic, and am
more willing to work late since I don't have a commute home to deal
with.

I'll give SANDAG (SD's regional government entity) credit for educating
businesses on how to use telecommuting effectively to help combat peak
hour congestion. I'm not sure how effective it really is, but I'd
assume with the number of tech jobs down here it's probably helping
remove a few cars from the roads.

Dave

Old December 18th 05, 06:34 AM posted to rec.autos.driving

>> You write software and you still have to drive to work?

> ... and if the hardware it goes on is at the client's?

Yes. For years, I have been writing code which goes on "hardware" I've
never seen. Why should I?

>> 4 hours a day, no less?

> <sigh>
>
> (I swear ...)
>
> I'd put something sarcastic here, but just see my reply to Scott.

You can't figure out how to do this remotely?
And you call yourself a professional?

Old December 18th 05, 06:36 AM posted to rec.autos.driving

> You think someone who writes software never has to meet with a client?
> You think software installs/troubleshoots itself? Telecommuting is
> nice, but it doesn't work every day.

It works perfectly well for me everyday; I meet virtually with clients all
day long. I have yet to see any of their faces.

Old December 18th 05, 07:40 AM posted to rec.autos.driving

JohnH wrote:
> > You think someone who writes software never has to meet with a client?
> > You think software installs/troubleshoots itself? Telecommuting is
> > nice, but it doesn't work every day.

> It works perfectly well for me everyday; I meet virtually with clients all
> day long. I have yet to see any of their faces.

You can install software anywhere, even through firewalls with no
support from the IT staff? Impressive. In addition, many of my
clients appreciate my stopping by and checking out things firsthand
once in a while, and experiencing a real user interaction.

It also gives them a chance to discuss with me any modifications they
might want, and hopefully upsell them. I've found I have much better
success on both fronts in person than on the phone. Maybe they just
think I'm sexy. =)

Not everything works in someone elses situation though. I thought the
phrase about walking a mile in someone's shoes would have gotten
through to someone else by now.

If your method works for you, great. Some clients want some real hands
on support, and not just a remote client connection. Several could
care less if I ever stop by, as long as things are working right. I
don't waste my time stopping by their locations unless I need to, and
generally they're my favourite customers.

Dave

Old December 18th 05, 10:42 PM posted to rec.autos.driving

On Sun, 18 Dec 2005 00:34:33 -0500, "JohnH" >
wrote:

>>> You write software and you still have to drive to work?

>> ... and if the hardware it goes on is at the client's?

>Yes. For years, I have been writing code which goes on "hardware" I've
>never seen. Why should I?
>
>You can't figure out how to do this remotely?
>And you call yourself a professional?

That's the beauty of USENET: there's always one in the crowd who will
trump up some bull**** excuse to flame someone else, just for the fun
of it.

Old December 19th 05, 08:19 AM posted to rec.autos.driving

In article >,
"JohnH" > says:

>For years, I have been writing code which goes on "hardware" I've
>never seen.

Bootloader, OS, drivers and apps for brand-new OEM hardware? Damn, can
you change water into wine, too?!

-Kenny

--
Kenneth R. Crudup Sr. SW Engineer, Scott County Consulting, Los Angeles
H: 3630 S. Sepulveda Blvd. #138, L.A., CA 90034-6809 (310) 391-1898
Old December 19th 05, 08:19 AM posted to rec.autos.driving

In article >,
"JohnH" > says:

>You can't figure out how to do this remotely?

I go 2-3 times a month for 2-3 days a week. Most of the work is
done here in L.A., and tested on their hardware.

-Kenny