Speeding DUI kills man - Lawyer calls it "momentary lapse in judgement"

Old November 15th 05, 05:57 PM posted to rec.autos.driving,alt.true-crime,talk.politics.misc,alt.politics

Default Speeding DUI kills man - Lawyer calls it "momentary lapse in judgement"

http://the.honoluluadvertiser.com/ar...511150345.html

Posted on: Tuesday, November 15, 2005
Drunken driver gets 5 years

By Curtis Lum

A Schofield Barracks soldier was sentenced yesterday to five years in
prison after he was convicted of driving drunk and speeding on the H-2
Freeway in April 2003 and getting into a crash that killed a fellow
soldier.

Circuit Judge Steve Alm rejected the defense's request to place Jesse
Williams II, 21, on probation. Deputy Public Defender Walter Rodby
told Alm that Williams has been a model citizen and soldier since the
incident and would like to continue serving the country.

Williams was set to be deployed to Iraq on Dec. 8, but likely will be
discharged from the Army if he serves any prison time, Rodby said. He
said the Army was willing to allow Williams to remain in the service
despite a felony conviction if he were placed on probation.

"Except for this momentary lapse in judgment, Mr. Williams has led
what has been an exemplary life," Rodby said.

From November 2003 to November 2004, Williams served in Iraq. When he
returned, he turned himself in to police to face the charges, Rodby
said.

Deputy Prosecutor Marvin Rampey argued that Williams' blood-alcohol
level was nearly twice the legal limit when the accident occurred and
that Williams admitted driving between 98 and 120 mph. The crash
occurred about a half-mile south of Ka Uka Boulevard near Waipi'o
Gentry on April 5, 2003, and killed Marquel Roberts, 23.

Williams and Roberts were returning from Waikiki where they had been
drinking when Williams saw a car filled with girls. Williams admitted
speeding to try to keep up with the other car when the crash occurred.

(snip)

5 years is something but it ain't enough. More criminal coddling.
Old November 15th 05, 08:59 PM posted to rec.autos.driving,alt.true-crime,talk.politics.misc,alt.politics

On Tue, 15 Nov 2005 17:57:43 GMT, laura bush - VEHICULAR HOMICIDE
> wrote:

>http://the.honoluluadvertiser.com/ar...511150345.html
>Posted on: Tuesday, November 15, 2005
>Drunken driver gets 5 years
>
>By Curtis Lum
>
>A Schofield Barracks soldier was sentenced yesterday to five years in
>prison after he was convicted of driving drunk and speeding on the H-2
>Freeway in April 2003 and getting into a crash that killed a fellow
>soldier.
>
>Circuit Judge Steve Alm rejected the defense's request to place Jesse
>Williams II, 21, on probation. Deputy Public Defender Walter Rodby
>told Alm that Williams has been a model citizen and soldier since the
>incident and would like to continue serving the country.
>
>Williams was set to be deployed to Iraq on Dec. 8, but likely will be
>discharged from the Army if he serves any prison time, Rodby said. He
>said the Army was willing to allow Williams to remain in the service
>despite a felony conviction if he were placed on probation.
>
>"Except for this momentary lapse in judgment, Mr. Williams has led
>what has been an exemplary life," Rodby said.

Suck down a quart of Jack every day and you'll have
MANY lapses of judgement ...

But we only count the ones where people get squished.

Old November 15th 05, 09:28 PM posted to rec.autos.driving,alt.true-crime,talk.politics.misc,alt.politics

"laura bush - VEHICULAR HOMICIDE" > wrote in message

> http://the.honoluluadvertiser.com/ar...511150345.html
>
> Posted on: Tuesday, November 15, 2005
> Drunken driver gets 5 years
>
> By Curtis Lum
>
> A Schofield Barracks soldier was sentenced yesterday to five years in
> prison after he was convicted of driving drunk and speeding on the H-2
> Freeway in April 2003 and getting into a crash that killed a fellow
> soldier.
>
> Circuit Judge Steve Alm rejected the defense's request to place Jesse
> Williams II, 21, on probation. Deputy Public Defender Walter Rodby
> told Alm that Williams has been a model citizen and soldier since the
> incident and would like to continue serving the country.
>
> Williams was set to be deployed to Iraq on Dec. 8, but likely will be
> discharged from the Army if he serves any prison time, Rodby said. He
> said the Army was willing to allow Williams to remain in the service
> despite a felony conviction if he were placed on probation.
>
> "Except for this momentary lapse in judgment, Mr. Williams has led
> what has been an exemplary life," Rodby said.
>
> From November 2003 to November 2004, Williams served in Iraq. When he
> returned, he turned himself in to police to face the charges, Rodby
> said.
>
> Deputy Prosecutor Marvin Rampey argued that Williams' blood-alcohol
> level was nearly twice the legal limit when the accident occurred and
> that Williams admitted driving between 98 and 120 mph. The crash
> occurred about a half-mile south of Ka Uka Boulevard near Waipi'o
> Gentry on April 5, 2003, and killed Marquel Roberts, 23.
>
> Williams and Roberts were returning from Waikiki where they had been
> drinking when Williams saw a car filled with girls. Williams admitted
> speeding to try to keep up with the other car when the crash occurred.
>
> (snip)

Tell me Genius, what is a defense lawyer supposed to do? Say he did it and
should be sent to jail? Or try to defend him.

You are really dumb!

Old November 16th 05, 02:55 AM posted to rec.autos.driving,alt.true-crime,talk.politics.misc,alt.politics

laura bush - VEHICULAR HOMICIDE wrote:
> http://the.honoluluadvertiser.com/ar...511150345.html
>
> Posted on: Tuesday, November 15, 2005
> Drunken driver gets 5 years

Too bad he wasn't a dimocratic senator from Massachusetts.

Old November 16th 05, 06:10 AM posted to rec.autos.driving,alt.true-crime,talk.politics.misc,alt.politics

On Tue, 15 Nov 2005 15:28:20 -0600, "Dan J.S." > wrote:

>Tell me Genius, what is a defense lawyer supposed to do? Say he did it and
>should be sent to jail? Or try to defend him.
>
>You are really dumb!

Fine but this is going too far. And it appears not to have worked
since the lawyer did not get the probation sentence he wanted for his
client. I bet the judge felt insulted by that ridiculous
characterization of this deadly crime.
Old November 16th 05, 03:32 PM posted to rec.autos.driving,alt.true-crime,talk.politics.misc,alt.politics

In article >,
"Dan J.S." > wrote:

> Tell me Genius, what is a defense lawyer supposed to do? Say he did it and
> should be sent to jail? Or try to defend him.
>
> You are really dumb!

Wrong. An honest defense attorney would at least try to talk his client
into pleading guilty and seek a reduced sentence. Legal defense does not
always mean the defendant is told to plead innocent. Of course, it is
debatable about how many defense attorneys are actually ethical.
Old November 16th 05, 07:02 PM posted to rec.autos.driving,alt.true-crime,talk.politics.misc,alt.politics

Shawn Hirn wrote:
> In article >,
> "Dan J.S." > wrote:
> >
> > Tell me Genius, what is a defense lawyer supposed to do? Say he did it and
> > should be sent to jail? Or try to defend him.
> >
> > You are really dumb!

> Wrong. An honest defense attorney would at least try to talk his client
> into pleading guilty and seek a reduced sentence.

And how do you know he *didn't*? There is such a thing as
'attorney-client privilege', so these communications are not public.
While it is not an attorney's job to "talk his client into" *anything*,
it is his job to discuss all options and plea offers, make
recommendations, and then to *do what the client wishes to do*. If the
guy wanted to go to trial, that's his call.

It's also quite possible that *the prosecution* refused to make any
such offers. It's happened to me. In many jurisdictions, a 'hard
line' prosecution policy will not negotiate on *any* DUI charges.
After all, M.A.D.D. is always watching and willing to let 'the voters'
know when a prosecutor 'goes soft' on drunks.

> Legal defense does not always mean the defendant is told to plead innocent.

Yeah, it does. At least you start out that way (and it's not
'Innocent'; it's 'Not Guilty' - a fine, but necessary, distinction).
Ain't a prosecutor in the country that's going to discuss plea options
with you if you walk in and plead 'Guilty' or 'No Contest'.

> Of course, it is debatable about how many defense attorneys are actually ethical.

Maybe you ought to have that debate next time you need one.
--
C.R. Krieger
(Been there; litigated that)

Old November 16th 05, 07:11 PM posted to rec.autos.driving,alt.true-crime,talk.politics.misc,alt.politics

On Wed, 16 Nov 2005 06:10:21 GMT, laura bush - VEHICULAR HOMICIDE
> was understood to have stated the following:

>On Tue, 15 Nov 2005 15:28:20 -0600, "Dan J.S." > wrote:
>

>>Tell me Genius, what is a defense lawyer supposed to do? Say he did it and
>>should be sent to jail? Or try to defend him.
>>
>>You are really dumb!
>>

>Fine but this is going too far. And it appears not to have worked
>since the lawyer did not get the probation sentence he wanted for his
>client. I bet the judge felt insulted by that ridiculous
>characterization of this deadly crime.

Address the issue, or would that be demonstrating your great ignorance
of our legal system?

--

"Laura Bush Murdered Her Boyfriend" brags of it's homosexuallity:

the guys at the bath-house stopped laughing at my 3 inch weenie.
: http://groups-beta.google.com/group/...1dd649fb?hl=en

Joshua Calvert > demonstrates his lack of understanding of the terms "sarcasm", "irony", and "hypocrisy":
Poor rightard, forced to whine about an 40 year old event.
Old November 17th 05, 03:36 AM posted to rec.autos.driving,alt.true-crime,talk.politics.misc,alt.politics

In article .com>,
Motorhead Lawyer > wrote:
>Shawn Hirn wrote:
>
>> Of course, it is debatable about how many defense attorneys are actually ethical.

>Maybe you ought to have that debate next time you need one.

Hmph. I want my defense attorney to be more ruthless, and no more
ethical, than the prosecutor. I believe the former to be a high bar
and the latter a low one, however.
result in a fully-depreciated one.
Old November 18th 05, 07:56 PM posted to rec.autos.driving,alt.true-crime,talk.politics.misc,alt.politics

Matthew Russotto wrote:

> Hmph. I want my defense attorney to be more ruthless, and no more
> ethical, than the prosecutor.

You can't afford me, Russotto ... =;^)
--
C.R. Krieger