HOV lane behavior...

Old May 29th 05, 08:45 PM

Scott en Aztl=E1n wrote:

> Face it, there's no legal justification for Sloth driving in the
> carpool lane. If you want to drive slow, move over to the rightmost
> lane where you belong.

The HOV driver already *is* in the rightmost lane.

And if he is going the speed limit, he is not a slow driver. The
pull-out law only applies to those going slower.

Old May 30th 05, 03:05 AM
Dave

Scott en Aztl=E1n wrote:

> If they're incapable of obeying the law safely, then they should
> seriously consider staying out of the HOV lane altogether.

The same can be said of people going over 65 mph then.

Watch out for double-standards, they can bite you in the ass.

Do you go ape**** at the busses in the HOV lanes? Those busses are the
main reason, from a people-moving viewpoint, why HOV lanes are so great
- they make busses almost as efficient as driving.

Yeah, they're a little slothy, but if they weren't allowed to use HOV
lanes, then mass transit nutjobs would go ape**** about spending money
on building HOV lanes (or painting them out) in the first place.

Dave

Old May 30th 05, 04:23 PM
Timothy J. Lee

In article >,
Scott en Aztlán <newsgroup> wrote:
>On Sun, 29 May 2005 03:59:10 GMT, (Timothy J. Lee)
>wrote:
>>As long as the driver in the HOV lane is passing those in the
>>next lane over, that driver is not violating any "keep right except
>>to pass" laws.

>Irrelevant. It has already been established that the HOV lane is a
>"separate roadway" and thus vehicles on the HOV road have no
>obligation WRT the vehicles on the "other" road next door.

If that is true, then the vehicle in the HOV lane is already in the
right lane of the one lane "separate roadway".

>>On the other hand, it is still annoying if, for
>>example, the driver in a clear HOV lane drives 15mph to pass traffic
>>going 5mph (not all annoying behaviors are illegal).

>Which is the crux of this whole discussion. Everyone who has ever
>tried to use a HOV lane has been frustrated by some Sloth who just
>putzes along as cars in the adjacent #1 lane whiz by, essentially
>rendering it useless. Why, there oughtta be a law!

If the traffic is free flowing in the regular lanes, why bother to
try to use the HOV lane at all (even if you are carpooling)?

And the original poster's situation was of passing traffic in the
regular lanes when the regular lanes were slowed due to heavy traffic,
not of driving in the HOV lane slower than the regular lanes.

Timothy J. Lee
Old May 30th 05, 04:24 PM
Timothy J. Lee

In article >,
Scott en Aztlán <newsgroup> wrote:
>Saying that 25 MPH is the normal speed of traffic on a freeway is like
>saying that 107 degrees is a normal body temperature for a human
>being.

25mph or less is the normal speed of traffic on a congested freeway
during typical commute times.

Timothy J. Lee
Old June 9th 05, 06:37 PM
John David Galt

>> the law does not require such people already doing 65 or
>> so to exit the HOV lanes for people doing 90.

> Suppose you are in the HOV lane doing 65. Traffic in the #1 lane to
> your immediate right is doing 75. There is a car behind you who wishes
> to drive 75, but is being blocked by you. Does the law require you to
> leave the HOV lane?

There are two cases:

* If the HOV lane can only be entered/exited at certain places
(Southern California style), then it is a separate roadway and you're
not required to exit (although common decency requires it anyway if
you don't ever intend to speed up as the faster driver wants you to).

* If it can be entered/exited anywhere (Northern California style),
then it is entirely subject to the standard keep-right-except-to-pass
rule. (Which is the law pretty much everywhere, but unfortunately
obscure in places such as CA.)
Old June 9th 05, 08:31 PM
John David Galt

Scott en Aztlán wrote:
> In that case, it's a separate TWO-LANE road (since there's one HOV
> lane on the other side) and CVC 21656 applies:
>
> 21656. On a two-lane highway where passing is unsafe because of
> traffic in the opposite direction or other conditions, a slow-moving
> vehicle, including a passenger vehicle, behind which five or more
> vehicles are formed in line, shall turn off the roadway at the nearest
> place designated as a turnout by signs erected by the authority having
> jurisdiction over the highway, or wherever sufficient area for a safe
> turnout exists, in order to permit the vehicles following it to
> proceed. As used in this section a slow-moving vehicle is one which is
> proceeding at a rate of speed less than the normal flow of traffic at
> the particular time and place.

This is unlikely ever to apply, since I've never seen a turnout on a
separated HOV roadway. (The permitted entry/exit places are not
turnouts; when you get to one, it ceases to be a two lane highway.)
Old December 22nd 05, 05:29 AM posted to rec.autos.driving,misc.transport.road

Default HOV lane behavior...

On 8 Dec 2005 08:46:54 -0500, denhou1974 > wrote:

>If you like to speed (driving faster than the posted speed limit) or you
>are in a hurry - THEN STAY OUT OF THE HOV LANE. Why? Because there MAY
>BE someone driving in the HOV lane that does not want or need to drive
>as fast as you do. So in order to avoid the frustration just stay out of
>this lane or compromise and obey the traffic laws (which BTW are not
>'guidelines' but actual laws).
>
>Let me repeat this one more time: YOU CANNOT CHANGE THE WAY
>PEOPLE DRIVE.

Thanks, that's good to know.

I guess we can save a ****load of money on things like traffic cops,
driver's ed courses, driver's licensing bureaus, Bob Bondurant, and
everything else that's designed to modify driver behavior.