Aluminum Wheel - Slow Air Leak

Old November 24th 08, 05:57 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.chrysler
JR[_3_]

Default Aluminum Wheel - Slow Air Leak

Once again its winter in Minnesota and all of my tires or rims will
frequently lose 10-20 lbs of air in 1-2 weeks. I've had them remounted
a couple of times, but no luck. Any suggestions would be appreciated.
Considering the age/condition of the vehicle (97 Avenger) I would be
reluctant to purchase new rims (200.00+). Are there less costly ones
(17 in. steel?) for this car. Thanks.
Old November 24th 08, 11:39 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.chrysler
Bob Shuman

Have you tried lightly sanding the rims with emery cloth and then using some
RTV sealer when they re-mount the tires? This usually solves the problem
for 4-5 years.

Bob

Old November 26th 08, 01:24 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.chrysler
KirkM

On Nov 24, 9:57*am, JR > wrote:
> Once again its winter in Minnesota and all of my tires or rims will
> frequently lose 10-20 lbs of air in 1-2 weeks. I've had them remounted
> a couple of times, but no luck. Any suggestions would be appreciated.
> Considering the age/condition of the vehicle (97 Avenger) I would be
> reluctant to purchase new rims (200.00+). Are there less costly ones
> (17 in. steel?) for this car. Thanks.

My brother had this problem years ago with an American Mag wheel. I
think they had to put in an innertube to fix the problem.

-KM
Old November 26th 08, 04:04 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.chrysler
MoPar Man

JR wrote:

> Once again its winter in Minnesota and all of my tires or rims will
> frequently lose 10-20 lbs of air in 1-2 weeks.

Buy a set of steel rims and put snow tires on them.

Use your aluminum rims and el-cheapo (and probably half bald) all season
tires for spring/summer/fall driving.

Anyone who doesn't do that, and lives in the snow/rust belt, is an
idiot.
Old November 26th 08, 06:08 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.chrysler
Bryan[_2_]

JR wrote:
> Once again its winter in Minnesota and all of my tires or rims will
> frequently lose 10-20 lbs of air in 1-2 weeks. I've had them remounted
> a couple of times, but no luck. Any suggestions would be appreciated.
> Considering the age/condition of the vehicle (97 Avenger) I would be
> reluctant to purchase new rims (200.00+). Are there less costly ones
> (17 in. steel?) for this car. Thanks.

I had a spare that did this. Doing the following will fix the problem:

1) dismount the tires.
2) thoroughly clean the bead area on the rims by glass-beading or use
Scotchbrite, etc.
3) fill any large pits with epoxy (smooth any high spots afterward).
4) prime and paint the bead area w/ glossy enamel paint (clear will work
fine).
5) remount the tires.

Mine didn't have any large pits, so all I did was glass-bead the bead area
on the rim and paint it. It's been over 5 years and it hasn't leaked.

Bryan

Old November 29th 08, 04:15 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.chrysler
man of machines

did they clean off the white tarnish from the rims and use bead sealer a
must with aluminum to seal tires to rims