Ford axle shaft installation

Old August 12th 08, 02:31 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.ford.mustang

Default Ford axle shaft installation

I have a 1972 Ford Mustang, 351C-4V. I just finished swapping out my
rearend gears on the Traction-Lock differential (went from 3.25 OEM to
3.89 Richmond). Pumpkin is back in and I was able to get the right-
rear axle shaft back in place with no problem. I cannot get the left-
rear (driver's side) back in. The wheel bearing sits out of the axle
housing about 1/2 inch and will not seat all of the way. The axle
splines (28-spline) are engaging the differential splines as I feel it
and I can rotate the pinion with the axle shaft, but it feels as if
the axle shaft is bottoming out on something when inserted. Don't
know what it is.

I've tried pounding it in with a hammer (to be sure that the bearing
just was not seating properly in the housing), and I then tried
pressing it on with the bearing retainer plate with the bolts on the
brake backing plate, which simply ended up bending the bearing
retainer plate (which I now need to replace). This is driving me
nuts. Like I said, the right-rear (passenger side) went in with a
breeze, but I cannot get the left-rear to seat in there. What can be
holding it up? Anyone ever have this problem? I did not
inadvertently swap the axles (left for right) because I kept track of
them since removing from the car.
Old August 12th 08, 09:35 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.ford.mustang
Big Al[_3_]

> wrote in message
>I have a 1972 Ford Mustang, 351C-4V. I just finished swapping out my
> rearend gears on the Traction-Lock differential (went from 3.25 OEM to
> 3.89 Richmond). Pumpkin is back in and I was able to get the right-
> rear axle shaft back in place with no problem. I cannot get the left-
> rear (driver's side) back in. The wheel bearing sits out of the axle
> housing about 1/2 inch and will not seat all of the way. The axle
> splines (28-spline) are engaging the differential splines as I feel it
> and I can rotate the pinion with the axle shaft, but it feels as if
> the axle shaft is bottoming out on something when inserted. Don't
> know what it is.
>
> I've tried pounding it in with a hammer (to be sure that the bearing
> just was not seating properly in the housing), and I then tried
> pressing it on with the bearing retainer plate with the bolts on the
> brake backing plate, which simply ended up bending the bearing
> retainer plate (which I now need to replace). This is driving me
> nuts. Like I said, the right-rear (passenger side) went in with a
> breeze, but I cannot get the left-rear to seat in there. What can be
> holding it up? Anyone ever have this problem? I did not
> inadvertently swap the axles (left for right) because I kept track of
> them since removing from the car.

Try this. Put the car in gear or park so the driveshaft can't turn. Put the
tire/wheel on the flange with a couple nuts. Push in on the axle and try to
turn the wheel. You may have to rock the wheel back and forth while you push
in. Let us know what happens.

Al

Old August 13th 08, 01:54 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.ford.mustang

On Aug 12, 7:36*pm, elaich > wrote:
> wrote in news:e7804d03-0553-4069-8ee9-4a77b5b71774@
> 56g2000hsm.googlegroups.com:
>
> > I have a 1972 Ford Mustang, 351C-4V. *I just finished swapping out my
> > rearend gears on the Traction-Lock differential (went from 3.25 OEM to
> > 3.89 Richmond). *

> It would help if you'd posted which rear end it is. 9 inch? 8.8? 8 inch?
> They are all very different from one another.

Sorry - it is a Ford 9". I tried it with the wheel, per Big Al. Did
not work. Plus, since it is a Traction Lock, if I turn the wheel hard
enough, the diff will turn, even if in gear.
Old August 13th 08, 07:52 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.ford.mustang
Big Al[_3_]

On Aug 12, 7:36 pm, elaich > wrote:
> wrote in news:e7804d03-0553-4069-8ee9-4a77b5b71774@
> 56g2000hsm.googlegroups.com:
>
> > I have a 1972 Ford Mustang, 351C-4V. I just finished swapping out my
> > rearend gears on the Traction-Lock differential (went from 3.25 OEM to
> > 3.89 Richmond).

> It would help if you'd posted which rear end it is. 9 inch? 8.8? 8 inch?
> They are all very different from one another.

Sorry - it is a Ford 9". I tried it with the wheel, per Big Al. Did
not work. Plus, since it is a Traction Lock, if I turn the wheel hard
enough, the diff will turn, even if in gear.

That's what I wanted you to do. Turn the differential. That's why I asked
you to put the wheel on. Any chance at all that you accidentally swapped
axles? Why not pull the other side and see?

Al

Old August 13th 08, 08:14 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.ford.mustang

On Aug 13, 1:52*pm, "Big Al" > wrote:
> > wrote in message

> On Aug 12, 7:36 pm, elaich > wrote:
>
> > wrote in news:e7804d03-0553-4069-8ee9-4a77b5b71774@
> > 56g2000hsm.googlegroups.com:

> > > I have a 1972 Ford Mustang, 351C-4V. I just finished swapping out my
> > > rearend gears on the Traction-Lock differential (went from 3.25 OEM to
> > > 3.89 Richmond).

> > It would help if you'd posted which rear end it is. 9 inch? 8.8? 8 inch?
> > They are all very different from one another.

> Sorry - it is a Ford 9". *I tried it with the wheel, per Big Al. *Did
> not work. *Plus, since it is a Traction Lock, if I turn the wheel hard
> enough, the diff will turn, even if in gear.
>
> That's what I wanted you to do. Turn the differential. That's why I asked
> you to put the wheel on. Any chance at all that you accidentally swapped
> axles? Why not pull the other side and see?
>
> Al

I can't see how I possibly swapped the axles. I kept the left axle on
the left side of the car and the right axle on the right side of the
car. Any other thoughts that would cause this hang-up?
Old August 13th 08, 11:04 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.ford.mustang
Big Al[_3_]

> > > I have a 1972 Ford Mustang, 351C-4V. I just finished swapping out my
> > > rearend gears on the Traction-Lock differential (went from 3.25 OEM to
> > > 3.89 Richmond).

> > It would help if you'd posted which rear end it is. 9 inch? 8.8? 8 inch?
> > They are all very different from one another.

> Sorry - it is a Ford 9". I tried it with the wheel, per Big Al. Did
> not work. Plus, since it is a Traction Lock, if I turn the wheel hard
> enough, the diff will turn, even if in gear.
>
> That's what I wanted you to do. Turn the differential. That's why I asked
> you to put the wheel on. Any chance at all that you accidentally swapped
> axles? Why not pull the other side and see?
>
> Al

I can't see how I possibly swapped the axles. I kept the left axle on
the left side of the car and the right axle on the right side of the
car. Any other thoughts that would cause this hang-up?

No. On a 9" with a stock carrier there should be no hang ups after the axle
starts in the side gear. Unless the bearing is hanging up in the axle tube?
You say it has a "Traction Lock." Is that something other than a stock LS
unit? Look through this and decide if it's really a Traction Lock. But if
it's a Ford factory carrier, makes no difference, the axle should go right
in.

http://www.maliburacing.com/ford_9_i..._nine_inch.htm

Is there a chance the spline on the axle is twisted? About how far does it
go in before it hangs up?

Al

Old August 13th 08, 11:05 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.ford.mustang
Frank ess

wrote:
> On Aug 13, 1:52 pm, "Big Al" > wrote:
>> > wrote in message

>> On Aug 12, 7:36 pm, elaich > wrote:
>>
>>> wrote in
>>> 56g2000hsm.googlegroups.com:

>>> It would help if you'd posted which rear end it is. 9 inch? 8.8?
>>> 8 inch? They are all very different from one another.

>> Sorry - it is a Ford 9". I tried it with the wheel, per Big Al. Did
>> not work. Plus, since it is a Traction Lock, if I turn the wheel
>> hard enough, the diff will turn, even if in gear.
>>
>> That's what I wanted you to do. Turn the differential. That's why
>> I asked you to put the wheel on. Any chance at all that you
>> accidentally swapped axles? Why not pull the other side and see?
>>
>> Al

> I can't see how I possibly swapped the axles. I kept the left axle
> on the left side of the car and the right axle on the right side of
> the car. Any other thoughts that would cause this hang-up?

I would withdraw the installed axle and try the other one. If it goes,
re-do the first.

I have a screen door with a lock that will accept its key either from
inside or outside, if alone, but will not take a key from the outside
if the inside has a key in the lock, and /will/ take a key from inside
when the outside has a key in it. Weird.

--
Frank ess

Old August 14th 08, 04:56 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.ford.mustang
elaich[_3_]

wrote in
:

> On Aug 12, 7:36*pm, elaich > wrote:
>> wrote in

> @
>> 56g2000hsm.googlegroups.com:
>>
>> > I have a 1972 Ford Mustang, 351C-4V. *I just finished swapping out
>> > my rearend gears on the Traction-Lock differential (went from 3.25
>> > OEM to 3.89 Richmond). *

>> It would help if you'd posted which rear end it is. 9 inch? 8.8? 8
>> inch? They are all very different from one another.

> Sorry - it is a Ford 9". I tried it with the wheel, per Big Al. Did
> not work. Plus, since it is a Traction Lock, if I turn the wheel hard
> enough, the diff will turn, even if in gear.

You say you changed the pumpkin, and that you have 28 spline axles. Was
that pumpkin rebuilt? A junkyard pickup?

I'm wondering if the axle carrier in the side that won't go in has been
changed to 31 spline somehow? Either a mixup at a rebuilder, or some
shade tree genius had one 31 spline axle, and changed the pumpkin to
accomodate it. A dirt track racer who wanted a 31 spline on the side with
the power tire?

I like the design of the 9" with the pumpkin, but at this point, it would
be great to have a cover that you could take off and actually see what's
going on.
Old August 18th 08, 02:42 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.ford.mustang

On Aug 13, 10:56*pm, elaich > wrote:
> wrote :
>

> > On Aug 12, 7:36*pm, elaich > wrote:
> >> wrote in

> > @
> >> 56g2000hsm.googlegroups.com:

> >> It would help if you'd posted which rear end it is. 9 inch? 8.8? 8
> >> inch? They are all very different from one another.

> > Sorry - it is a Ford 9". *I tried it with the wheel, per Big Al. *Did
> > not work. *Plus, since it is a Traction Lock, if I turn the wheel hard
> > enough, the diff will turn, even if in gear.

> You say you changed the pumpkin, and that you have 28 spline axles. Was
> that pumpkin rebuilt? A junkyard pickup?
>
> I'm wondering if the axle carrier in the side that won't go in has been
> changed to 31 spline somehow? Either a mixup at a rebuilder, or some
> shade tree genius had one 31 spline axle, and changed the pumpkin to
> accomodate it. A dirt track racer who wanted a 31 spline on the side with
> the power tire?
>
> I like the design of the 9" with the pumpkin, but at this point, it would
> be great to have a cover that you could take off and actually see what's
> going on.- Hide quoted text -

Got it figured out (finally). Had to take it in. What was happening
- the metal gasket behind the brake backing plate and the axle mount
was bent in ever so slightly so that it was acting as a wedge between
the bearing and the axle housing. Because of this, the bearing would
not seat all of the way.