How long will iRacing survive as subscription service?

Old August 18th 08, 06:23 PM posted to rec.autos.simulators
David Fisher's Left Testicle

Default How long will iRacing survive as subscription service?

"JP" > wrote in message

> "David Fisher's Left Testicle" <dfg.myass@aol> wrote in message
>>
>> "JP" > wrote in message
>> >
>> > "Andrew MacPherson" > wrote in

> message
>> > ddress_disguised...

> the

> likely

>> > Not only that, but if I'm not mistaken, iracing requires online
>> > activation, etc. If so, good luck running the program you *paid* for,
>> > if/once the activation servers go down for good.

>> It isn't 'paid' for! One pays to use (hire) it. It's a simple enough
>> concept.

> You mean you didn't have to pay money to access the program ? <wink>

You don't own it. It's hired. Simple concept.

>> > Of course, when (not if) this happens, the usual "we promise we'll
>> > release
>> > a patch so that activation, etc. isn't required anymore" line will come
>> > out.
>> > In reality, that has yet to happen from all parties that have said it
>> > in
>> > the
>> > past.

>> So now you can see into the future.

> Based on several examples from other companies in the past, yes.

But iRacing is different. So you can't say 'when (not if)' in this context.
All you are going is having a guess.

Old August 18th 08, 08:49 PM posted to rec.autos.simulators
Tim Wheatley

> > * You mean you didn't have to pay money to access the program ? *<wink>
>
> You don't own it. It's hired. Simple concept.

Similar to most EULA's. They give you permission to use their
software on your computer in the ways they specify.
Old August 19th 08, 06:11 AM posted to rec.autos.simulators
jeffareid

> > You don't own it. It's hired. Simple concept.

> Similar to most EULA's. They give you permission to use their
> software on your computer in the ways they specify.

A bit off topic, but ...

In box EULAs are legally meaningless in some states of the USA, and
in the few cases that come to court, they have a low rate of standing
up in court. Merely opening a box, or clicking on some "accept" button
during installation doesn't cut it in most courts.

Real EULAs generally only exist with expensive corporate oriented
software, viw written contracts which much be signed before software
is delivered.

In spite of what the EULA's state, software is purchased, not "rented",
except in the case of online services like Motor City Online and now
iRacing.

Old August 19th 08, 06:15 AM posted to rec.autos.simulators
jeffareid

>> I used to have some numbness in my hands back when I used a Force feedback wheel. Had to turn the FF effects almost
>> to nil. Changed to a non FF wheel over a year ago and I'm not getting the numbness anymore. I miss the information
>> the FF gave me but retaining the feeling in my hands was a better deal

> I've been racing a lot more recently, and I've noticed discomfort/weakness in my arms at the inner edges of the arms
> just in front of the elbow joint. It's actually getting pretty bad right now. I couldn't even lift a frying pan this
> morning.

Which is part of the reason I use two light centering force joysticks for
gaming, one for steering, the other for throttle / brake. Virtually no
fatigue factor. I rest my elbow on the arms of the chair.

Old August 19th 08, 10:15 PM posted to rec.autos.simulators
JP[_10_]

"David Fisher's Left Testicle" <dfg.myass@aol> wrote in message

> "JP" > wrote in message

> > message

> > the

decided

intellectual

> > likely

for,

> >> It isn't 'paid' for! One pays to use (hire) it. It's a simple enough
> >> concept.

> > You mean you didn't have to pay money to access the program ? <wink>

> You don't own it. It's hired. Simple concept.

Whoosh............backspace, Richie Rich, or whatever other moniker you're
using this month.

come

> >> So now you can see into the future.

> > Based on several examples from other companies in the past, yes.

> But iRacing is different. So you can't say 'when (not if)' in this

context.
> All you are going is having a guess.

Lol, thats what is said everytime this type of thing comes up.

Old August 26th 08, 07:23 PM posted to rec.autos.simulators
Maat

"JP" > wrote in
:

> Whoosh............backspace, Richie Rich, or whatever other moniker
> you're using this month.

Wow, you really need to learn how to snip the posts you are replying to.
You had almost everyone in this thread quoted, except me, moron.
Old August 26th 08, 10:13 PM posted to rec.autos.simulators
JP[_10_]

"Maat" > wrote in message
> "JP" > wrote in
> :
>
> > Whoosh............backspace, Richie Rich, or whatever other moniker
> > you're using this month.

> Wow, you really need to learn how to snip the posts you are replying to.
> You had almost everyone in this thread quoted, except me, moron.

Hiya Backspace ! Love the new nick.

hummer could be done, the dinosaurs will not survive [email protected] Technology 7 July 15th 08 03:45 AM
Man eats own leg to survive car accident Tom Scales BMW 2 February 9th 07 05:13 PM
Man eats own leg to survive car accident Eugene Blanchard Corvette 0 February 7th 07 11:04 PM
Update on Drive To Survive Iva Mazda 8 October 7th 06 12:56 AM
Audi UK "Long Life Service" Barry Bingham Audi 7 November 3rd 04 01:26 PM