And so it begins..........

Old March 25th 05, 03:39 AM
Don

What use is a mod that doesn't alter the physics to emulate the cars it
depicts?
Don

Old March 25th 05, 08:58 AM
Michael Horton

What's wrong with the CTS, BGN, T/A, and Aero88 mods? Name me some gaming
companies that let you reverse engineer their .exe files in order to release
a new mod for them? They'll let you mod them all you want to as long as you
don't change their actual core code.

Old March 25th 05, 12:05 PM
JM

"Michael Horton" > wrote in

> What's wrong with the CTS, BGN, T/A, and Aero88 mods? Name me some
> gaming companies that let you reverse engineer their .exe files in
> order to release a new mod for them? They'll let you mod them all you
> want to as long as you don't change their actual core code.

Technically I wouldn't call them mods at all. They were implemented by
papyrus people after all.

The only issue people can't seem to graps is that some values are stored in
a binary file rather than a text "ini" file, and seem to think there's some
special protection against editing binary files.

We'll find out if FIRSTvsMcArther ever goes to court, but I (sadly) suspect
one side may well just bully the other with money and lawyers before it
gets to be heard.

cheers
John

Old March 25th 05, 02:08 PM
FAnderson

JM wrote:
> Technically I wouldn't call them mods at all. They were implemented by
> papyrus people after all.

I resent that remark.. I, along with TonyK and TheUSPits made the Aero88
mod. We did/do not work for Papyrus, and more specifically, had to
Reverse Engineer all of the data formats in order to create that mod
among others.

Fred
Old March 25th 05, 02:58 PM
Steve Smith

And a fabulous mod it is to!

Old March 25th 05, 03:32 PM
Randy Magruder

> As much as I hate to to say
> this, and I thought I never would, I'll give my money freely to EA.

Why do you hate to say it? I have to say that while I understand the
whole "they are a big corporation...let's collectively hate them for
it" mentality I often see here, I gotta say, my experiences with the
NSR team have been very positive and way more open to the community
than Papyrus used to be.

> I'd rather support a game that can be freely modded than to support
> some company that would rather take the community to court. We take
> our sim racing seriously as well but we also can put our MONEY where
> we want. I sure hope that the modding community can turn EA's Nascar
> Simracing into one helluva racing game.

I think it already has the core to be a helluva racing game, as you put
it, it just needs some bug-fixing, esp with the rules.

Randy
Old March 25th 05, 03:34 PM
Randy Magruder

Hm, are you sure of that link? Looks like it leads to a 'search engine'

Old March 25th 05, 03:51 PM
DodgeBullet40

From what I've been reading the core is very similar to the last Nascar
Thunder and it needs a lot more than "some" bug fixing.

news

Old March 25th 05, 04:02 PM
Steve Smith

Make that two.

oups.com...

Old March 25th 05, 05:02 PM
John DiFool

On Fri, 25 Mar 2005 08:34:06 -0600, "Randy Magruder"
> wrote:

>Hm, are you sure of that link? Looks like it leads to a 'search engine'
>
>jwilson54 wrote:
>
>> The other side of the story here
>> http://www.tmcarthur.net/forum/viewtopic.php?t=52

Yeah either the site was hacked, or Tim deliberately took it down.
It's the kind of phony home page you typically see when a
cybersquatter has stolen someone's URL...

John DiFool