Should this trooper be fired?

Old March 24th 05, 07:20 AM
jaybird

"L Sternn" > wrote in message
> On Thu, 24 Mar 2005 05:52:40 GMT, "jaybird" > wrote:
>
>>> What's an 18-year veteran doing answering the 911 phone? From
>>> everything I've heard, in spite of its importance, that's not exactly a
>>> job that requires 18 years of training and experience.

>>It's not a job that requires that much experience at all. It is probably
>>position for someone close to retirement who wants a break from the
>>streets
>>for his last few years.

> There's a regular over in a stoner newsgroup who used to be a 999
> operator (The UK uses 999 instead of 911).
>
> But he's moving up in the world. Now he's works in collections for a
> credit card company.
>
> 911 operator is a job that shouldn't be given to some cop who is
> close to retirement unless he's willing to take a big pay cut.

See, this is another issue I'm having with you, and I don't mean to sound
condescending, or "cavalier" as you put it before, just irritated. You keep
interjecting your personal opinion on how these things are done, yet you
don't have any practical experience on the procedures and you get yourself
all worked up.

Some departments rotate cops in and out of dispatch just so they'll have
someone there for legal advice on assigning calls. Dispatchers don't
usually have much formal criminal law training so they might have a cop or
two assigned on a temporary basis but there could be many different reasons.

--
---
jaybird

Old March 24th 05, 07:23 AM
jaybird

"The Real Bev" > wrote in message
> jaybird wrote:

>> > What's an 18-year veteran doing answering the 911 phone? From
>> > everything I've heard, in spite of its importance, that's not exactly a
>> > job that requires 18 years of training and experience.

>> It's not a job that requires that much experience at all. It is probably
>> position for someone close to retirement who wants a break from the
>> streets
>> for his last few years. We don't know for sure, but that's my guess.

> I see, time servers. Chair warmers. Just the person I'd want on the
> end of the line when there's a possibility that a loved one is bleeding
> to death. No wonder we hear horror stories about what these jerks say
> and do. I think I'd rather have girl scouts doing the job -- based on
> the ones I've known, people who are just waiting for retirement are
> absolutely worthless.

Some are old and crusty but most of them still like the job.

>> > I have also heard that 911 operators are supposed to keep the caller on
>> > the line until help arrives. Hanging up on the caller with a snotty
>> > remark doesn't seem to fit that part of the job description.

>> That's not correct. The operators will keep a person on the line if they
>> are need immediate assistance or direction, but a person reporting a
>> crime
>> or accident is usually not kept on the line.

> They leave the person who survived the crime or accident long enough to
> punch 911 all alone and bleeding with a chirpy "Help is on the way, have
> a nice day," do they? Is this by regulation or stupidity?
>
> When I had occasion to call 911 the dispatcher kept me on the line until
> I said I saw the cops outside. At other times (accidents with much
> metal damage and perhaps some fleshly damage -- yeah, we live near a
> corner with a lot of them) the dispatcher said I could hang up when I
> heard the siren. It seems truly unconscionable to leave an injured
> victim all alone, trusting that MAYBE the rescue vehicles can find their
> way to the scene of the crime/accident.

Sometimes they do, sometimes they don't. It just depends on the
circumstances and it isn't written in stone. From the comments that were
made it sounds like they knew exactly where the wreck was.

--
---
jaybird

Old March 24th 05, 07:24 AM
L Sternn

On Thu, 24 Mar 2005 06:06:34 GMT, "jaybird" > wrote:

>> No. You're either intentionally lying or you haven't even bothered to
>> read up on this incident.
>>
>> Which is it?
>>
>> Here's a couple of links just in case you're merely ignorant:
>>
>> http://www.wtnh.com/Global/story.asp?s=3107048
>> (includes a link to audio of the 911 calls)
>>
>> http://www.amadirectlink.com/news/2005/911.asp
>> (this one's short enough that you shouldn't have too much
>> trouble reading the whole thing)

>Ok, now that we're past the profanity and insults maybe we can discuss this
>like adults.

I went off because your defense of a cop who put people's lives at
risk is disgusting.

You had already proven to me that you were incapable of discussing
anything like an adult.

> The article says nothing about him not dispatching emergency
>units to the scene and in fact says: "Police officials maintain that despite
>Peasley's comments, he acted promptly to send emergency personnel to the
>scene."

|Peasley, who was working the dispatch desk in the Troop E
|barracks in Montville, was punished after an internal affairs
|investigation for several offenses, including conduct
|unbecoming a police officer, ***inefficient action*** and lack
|of decorum, police said.

(emphasis mine)

"'Inefficient action"

|The trooper hung up on the caller because he apparently
|thought he had received several other calls about the same
|incident.

So why would he dispatch anything if he thought he had already
dispatched something.

The other dispatcher sent the ambulance.

>But Boyle said the investigation showed that the

|call from the friend was the first Troop E received for that
|accident.

Yup - and since he didn't send anything, there must have been some
delay unless all emergency units were already tied up with other calls
and wouldn't have been able to respond immediately anyway.

Are you telling me there is no way other than memory for dispatchers
to see if units are already responding?

|It also showed that Peasley was rude to a second
|caller who reported the accident, telling him Sawyer
|"shouldn't have been riding that way."

The article is pretty skewed. The point is that he hung up on them
without so much as confirming where the accident was.

How is he supposed to dispatch someone if he can't be sure where it
is?

>From the first two phone calls quoted it seems to me like they
>either already had a report of the wreck, or had prior calls about the
>motorcycle especially in the second call.

He may have thought he already responded to them, but I can't imagine
there aren't procedures in place to check that sort of thing.

>I agree that he could've handled
>things better, but the job was done.

not by him

Old March 24th 05, 07:25 AM
The Real Bev

Does anybody know for an actual fact that jaybird is a real live law
enforcement officer? Is it not possible that he's an anti-cop troll? I
know he's certainly decreased MY respect for the average everyday cop.

I've known only one cop, and that was 50 years ago. He seemed just
about as arrogant.

--
Cheers,
Bev
Old March 24th 05, 07:26 AM
L Sternn

On Thu, 24 Mar 2005 06:08:02 GMT, "jaybird" > wrote:

>"223rem" > wrote in message
. com...
>> jaybird wrote:
>>> "223rem" > wrote in message
>>> om...

>>> Nope.
>>>

>> So you guys have internet access in your patrol
>> cars? Very cool!

>Hell, we can't even post from there either. I wouldn't want to end up like
>APD's MDT fiasco from the night club burning down.

APD's always doing something stupid like that.
Old March 24th 05, 07:27 AM
L Sternn

On Thu, 24 Mar 2005 06:10:37 GMT, "jaybird" > wrote:

>"L Sternn" > wrote in message

>> I'm glad someone besides me isn't blinded by the argument that the cop
>> was merely being rude.

>I wouldn't align myself with DTJ too quickly. He's even worse than you with
>his colorful language when you get him stirred up. )

Cool, maybe I can learn something from him.

Hey, DTJ. **** you! ;-)
Old March 24th 05, 07:31 AM
L Sternn

On Wed, 23 Mar 2005 22:20:18 -0800, The Real Bev
> wrote:

>> It's not a job that requires that much experience at all. It is probably a
>> position for someone close to retirement who wants a break from the streets
>> for his last few years. We don't know for sure, but that's my guess.

>I see, time servers. Chair warmers. Just the person I'd want on the
>end of the line when there's a possibility that a loved one is bleeding
>to death. No wonder we hear horror stories about what these jerks say
>and do. I think I'd rather have girl scouts doing the job -- based on
>the ones I've known, people who are just waiting for retirement are
>absolutely worthless.

To be fair to 911 operators in general, you do hear good stories about
them from time to time.

A few months back some kid called up to say his parent was either dead
or dying. I don't remember the details, but it was a young kid and
she stayed on the line with him until help arrived.
Old March 24th 05, 07:31 AM
Alan Baker

In article >,
"jaybird" > wrote:

> "L Sternn" > wrote in message
> > On Thu, 24 Mar 2005 02:46:06 GMT, "jaybird" > wrote:
> >

> >>"L Sternn" > wrote in message
> . ..

> >>Where do you get that from?

> > Are you stupid?
> >
> > Intentionally disconnecting emergency calls should be a crime if it
> > isn't already. The POTENTIAL for it to result in death makes it very
> > serious.
> >
> > This pig was lucky.
> >
> >> The comment had nothing to do with the response
> >>time.

> > And that in no way excuses hanging up on people calling 911 with real
> > emergencies.

> >>No, he did his job when he dispatched units to the scene.

> > He did not.
> >
> > Care to explain how he could have done so since he hung up on the
> > caller?
> >
> > In fact, he hung up on 2 different people and he didn't dispatch ****.
> >
> > The ambulance was dispatched by someone who took their job seriously.
> >
> > 911 is not for playing games. As a cop, you should know that and so
> > should the piece of **** Peasley.

> >>Well that makes you much more credible. I'm impressed.

> > I'm not sorry if you take offense. I take offense to your cavalier
> > attitude towards public safety.
> >
> > Your defense of someone who willfully put members of the public gives
> > you zero credibility.
> >

> >>The guy was rude, I'm not defending that,

> > And I'm not complaining about his being rude.
> >
> >>but as long as he got people on
> >>the way then he did that part of his job.

> > No, he did NOT.
> >
> > He hung up on the 1st 2 callers and probably would have continued
> > hanging up on them had a THIRD call that was answered by a DIFFERENT
> > dispatcher who then dispatched an ambulance.
> >

> >>He just wasn't very polite about
> >>it.

> > No. You're either intentionally lying or you haven't even bothered to
> > read up on this incident.
> >
> > Which is it?
> >
> > Here's a couple of links just in case you're merely ignorant:
> >
> > http://www.wtnh.com/Global/story.asp?s=3107048
> > (includes a link to audio of the 911 calls)
> >
> > http://www.amadirectlink.com/news/2005/911.asp
> > (this one's short enough that you shouldn't have too much
> > trouble reading the whole thing)

> Ok, now that we're past the profanity and insults maybe we can discuss this
> like adults. The article says nothing about him not dispatching emergency
> units to the scene and in fact says: "Police officials maintain that despite
> Peasley's comments, he acted promptly to send emergency personnel to the
> scene." From the first two phone calls quoted it seems to me like they
> either already had a report of the wreck, or had prior calls about the
> motorcycle especially in the second call. I agree that he could've handled
> things better, but the job was done.

Sounds like cops covering and making excuses for cops...

....just like you're doing.

--
Alan Baker
Vancouver, British Columbia
Old March 24th 05, 07:38 AM
L Sternn

On Thu, 24 Mar 2005 06:16:41 GMT, "jaybird" > wrote:

>> Do you really believe that just because there was no harm that no foul
>> was committed?

>I just answered that.

Just trying to get you to recognize that there was a foul, even if
there was no harm.

> There was no harm other than his rudeness and there
>was no foul either. Again, it's stated: "Police officials maintain that
>despite Peasley's comments, he acted promptly to send emergency personnel to
>the scene."

Which is not credible given that he was punished for "inefficient
action".

Get those cops to say that under oath.

>> If I aim a gun at you and fire, is it okay as long as I miss?
>>
>> I don't think so.

>Well you've got that one right. Aiming a gun at someone is Deadly Conduct,
>firing it could be many things from Aggravated Assualt to Attempted Murder
>whether you hit them or not.... two different scenarios.

They're not very different at all. Perhaps he really thought they had
already dispatched anyone, but they had not.

I should alter my proposed scenario to leave out aiming at you. Let's
say you don't know if I aimed it at you or if I was just mishandling
it by not following reasonable safety precautions and it happened to
be pointed in your general direction when it accidentally went off.
Old March 24th 05, 07:42 AM
L Sternn

On Wed, 23 Mar 2005 22:25:40 -0800, The Real Bev
> wrote:

>Does anybody know for an actual fact that jaybird is a real live law
>enforcement officer? Is it not possible that he's an anti-cop troll? I
>know he's certainly decreased MY respect for the average everyday cop.

I try not to let him do that. Real cop or poser, there are good and
bad cops. I always give cops a chance to show which kind they are
before forming an opinion.