IRacing Pricing

Old January 26th 08, 09:28 PM posted to rec.autos.simulators
Tony R

Default IRacing Pricing

Quentin Queerbottom wrote:

>> As little as $13 a month for a year subscription. That's with limited
>> content, though. Additional cars will cost $15 and tracks will cost
>> $15 to $25.
>>
>> Pat Dotson
>> UltraForce Simulations LLC
>> http://www.ultraforcesim.com

> More info here

Probably more informative than the original...

There is a ton of rubbish being written about iRacing.

If the pricing is too steep they won't reach the required volumes for
viability. It is simple economics but the sim racing world has been
doing its own thing developing add ons with no recourse to licensing or
copyright for years since the big developers disappeared that there is
an expectation that anything more than a one off $20 dollar outlay for
several years entertainment is a rip off.

iRacing is a wake up call and those who don't recall dial up bills for
racing online and products with a short shelf life as bigger and better
products from major developers came along don't seem to get it.

Having a major developer with the financial acumen to develop the
product and the foresight to move sim racing out of its little nerdy
niche is a major opportunity IMHO.

iRacing need to be commercially viable to push sim racing along just
like the Boston Red Sox needed to be commercially viable to take on and
beat the Yankees. It is not about John Henry simply pumping money in
because he is a fellow sim enthusiast just as he is a Red Sox fan, it is
about getting the infrastructure in place for sustainability and future
growth. This seems to be beyond the sim racing for free attitude
prevailing on RSC.

Given the track record I believe they will get the sums right but it is
a whole different model from existing titles, which is proving hard for
many to get their heads around.

Cheers
Tony
Old January 27th 08, 10:08 AM posted to rec.autos.simulators
Shoues

Tony R wrote:
> Quentin Queerbottom wrote:
>>
>>> As little as $13 a month for a year subscription. That's with limited
>>> content, though. Additional cars will cost $15 and tracks will cost
>>> $15 to $25.
>>>
>>> Pat Dotson
>>> UltraForce Simulations LLC
>>> http://www.ultraforcesim.com

>> More info here

> Probably more informative than the original...
>
> There is a ton of rubbish being written about iRacing.
>
> If the pricing is too steep they won't reach the required volumes for
> viability. It is simple economics but the sim racing world has been
> doing its own thing developing add ons with no recourse to licensing or
> copyright for years since the big developers disappeared that there is
> an expectation that anything more than a one off $20 dollar outlay for
> several years entertainment is a rip off.
>
> iRacing is a wake up call and those who don't recall dial up bills for
> racing online and products with a short shelf life as bigger and better
> products from major developers came along don't seem to get it.
>
> Having a major developer with the financial acumen to develop the
> product and the foresight to move sim racing out of its little nerdy
> niche is a major opportunity IMHO.
>
> iRacing need to be commercially viable to push sim racing along just
> like the Boston Red Sox needed to be commercially viable to take on and
> beat the Yankees. It is not about John Henry simply pumping money in
> because he is a fellow sim enthusiast just as he is a Red Sox fan, it is
> about getting the infrastructure in place for sustainability and future
> growth. This seems to be beyond the sim racing for free attitude
> prevailing on RSC.
>
> Given the track record I believe they will get the sums right but it is
> a whole different model from existing titles, which is proving hard for
> many to get their heads around.
>
> Cheers
> Tony

Boo the Redsox!
Booo Iracing LOL
And it's not the money it's the way DK and JH acted that has everyone
hating them!
Old January 27th 08, 08:15 PM posted to rec.autos.simulators
Tony R

Shoues wrote:

> Boo the Redsox!
> Booo Iracing LOL
> And it's not the money it's the way DK and JH acted that has everyone
> hating them!

Nah, the sim community hates everyone. iRacing for behaving like a
business, the West brothers and Stefan Casillo for not behaving like a
business, Simbin for ripping them off with selling new titles instead of
patching the existing ones, ISI for taking sim racers hard earned cash
and then delaying the release, LFS developers for the worlds longest
alpha, Geoff Crammond for slowing the world down and so on...
Old January 27th 08, 09:29 PM posted to rec.autos.simulators
Mario Petrinovich

Tony R:
> Shoues:
>> Boo the Redsox!
>> Booo Iracing LOL
>> And it's not the money it's the way DK and JH acted that has everyone
>> hating them!

> Nah, the sim community hates everyone. iRacing for behaving like a
> business, the West brothers and Stefan Casillo for not behaving like a
> business, Simbin for ripping them off with selling new titles instead of
> patching the existing ones, ISI for taking sim racers hard earned cash and
> then delaying the release, LFS developers for the worlds longest alpha,
> Geoff Crammond for slowing the world down and so on...

It's just the (nature of) Internet... : ). -- Mario Petrinovich

Old January 28th 08, 04:17 PM posted to rec.autos.simulators
sparadise

To Tim Wheatley,

OK great.... we now know the subscription pricing but not a
word about a time frame for when the product will be available. I am
sure you are aware of the other oval sim due out very soon and it
would seem to make sense to give the public a general time frame of
when your product will be available. Not looking for an exact date but
maybe just a statement like 3rd quarter of this year or something to
that effect.
Or perhaps even a statement saying the timeframe for release
is impossible to predict would be better than saying nothing about it
at all. Steve Paradise
Old January 28th 08, 04:46 PM posted to rec.autos.simulators
Tim Wheatley

On Jan 28, 9:17 am, sparadise > wrote:
> To Tim Wheatley,
>
> OK great.... we now know the subscription pricing but not a
> word about a time frame for when the product will be available. I am
> sure you are aware of the other oval sim due out very soon and it
> would seem to make sense to give the public a general time frame of
> when your product will be available. Not looking for an exact date but
> maybe just a statement like 3rd quarter of this year or something to
> that effect.
> Or perhaps even a statement saying the timeframe for release
> is impossible to predict would be better than saying nothing about it
> at all. Steve Paradise

Hi Steve,

http://iracing.com/news_051207.htm
"Bringing a start-up to launch is always a challenge, but a satisfying
one," Gardner said. "I'm pleased to be part of a great team, and I
look forward to working with my colleagues on what promises to be a
very successful launch this spring."

Hope that helps,

Tim
Old January 28th 08, 08:53 PM posted to rec.autos.simulators
Larry \(The Real One - For Now....\)

And everyone said NROS would fail. It didn't. It was thriving.

And, btw.... NROS monthly fee was more expensive.

Sierra is what failed.

-Larry

. uk...

Old January 28th 08, 08:55 PM posted to rec.autos.simulators
Larry \(The Real One - For Now....\)

Ah..... BULL****!

I hate it when someone skims a few forums and thinks they know what they are
talking about.

Old January 28th 08, 08:56 PM posted to rec.autos.simulators
Larry \(The Real One - For Now....\)

Hehe. That last one is pretty good

-Larry

. uk...

Old January 28th 08, 09:01 PM posted to rec.autos.simulators
Tim Wheatley

I remember well my $600 phone bill and that was back in 1999 racing
GPL over a 56k dial-up paid per-minute. Them were the days.

iRacing Who? [email protected] Simulators 62 August 10th 07 10:01 PM
iRacing what? _Mitch Simulators 4 August 1st 07 04:27 AM
Will iRacing ever produce a PC sim ? DB Simulators 86 September 15th 05 08:33 PM
iRacing and Piratebay ymenard Simulators 6 July 23rd 05 01:44 AM