Front turn indicator on a Golf not working

Old November 12th 04, 06:03 PM
John

Default Front turn indicator on a Golf not working

A few days ago I posted about my drivers front turn indicator not working on
my 2000 Golf. I cleaned the bulb up and it worked intermittently, so I
bought a new bulb.
The new bulb doesn't work any better; it works sometime and not others. The
problem is in the bulb holder; one side of contacts have somehow pushed back
don't fit snuggly. (though how this could have happened is beyond me) I
tried to push them back, but it didn't do much.
I put some solder on the old bulb and now it works fine. However I don't
have a lot of confidence in this "repair"; the bulb holder should be
replaced.

So...
1) Any clever way to fix this without replacing the bulb holder.
2) Any idea what a bulb hold costs?
3) Are they available anywhere except at a dealer?

Thanks.

BTW; this time I was working in daylight and everything went back together
much better.

Old November 12th 04, 07:01 PM
Tom's VR6

In rec.autos.makers.vw.watercooled, John wrote:

>A few days ago I posted about my drivers front turn indicator not working on
>my 2000 Golf. I cleaned the bulb up and it worked intermittently, so I
>bought a new bulb.
>The new bulb doesn't work any better; it works sometime and not others. The
>problem is in the bulb holder; one side of contacts have somehow pushed back
>don't fit snuggly. (though how this could have happened is beyond me) I
>tried to push them back, but it didn't do much.
>I put some solder on the old bulb and now it works fine. However I don't
>have a lot of confidence in this "repair"; the bulb holder should be
>replaced.
>
>So...
>1) Any clever way to fix this without replacing the bulb holder.

If you used lead-free solder to do the build-up on the bulb, it
would be less prone to oxidize.

Caig Deoxit or "Power Booster" will fight the tendency of metals to
oxidize. It is usually oxidation that causes terminals to not pass
current well over time. You know how a flashlight or other
battery-powered device will often work better if you bang it? That
breaks thru the oxidation for a better contact.

http://www.hometech.com/tools/caig.html
http://scientificsonline.com/product...cd2=1100282329
http://www.kiesub.com/caigclean.htm and a host of others....

>2) Any idea what a bulb hold costs?

Not me.

>3) Are they available anywhere except at a dealer?

I tried to find special instrument cluster bulbs at parts places. I
then went to the dealer. Price was $3.02 plus tax -- lower than my
expectations. Not worth screwing around.

Old November 12th 04, 08:09 PM
John

"Tom's VR6" > wrote in message
> In rec.autos.makers.vw.watercooled, John wrote:
>
> >A few days ago I posted about my drivers front turn indicator not working

on
> >my 2000 Golf. I cleaned the bulb up and it worked intermittently, so I
> >bought a new bulb.
> >The new bulb doesn't work any better; it works sometime and not others.

The
> >problem is in the bulb holder; one side of contacts have somehow pushed

back
> >don't fit snuggly. (though how this could have happened is beyond me) I
> >tried to push them back, but it didn't do much.
> >I put some solder on the old bulb and now it works fine. However I don't
> >have a lot of confidence in this "repair"; the bulb holder should be
> >replaced.
> >
> >So...
> >1) Any clever way to fix this without replacing the bulb holder.

> If you used lead-free solder to do the build-up on the bulb, it
> would be less prone to oxidize.
>
> Caig Deoxit or "Power Booster" will fight the tendency of metals to
> oxidize. It is usually oxidation that causes terminals to not pass
> current well over time. You know how a flashlight or other
> battery-powered device will often work better if you bang it? That
> breaks thru the oxidation for a better contact.

Actually deoxit was the first thing I tried, before I figured out it was the
bulb holder.

Dealer wants $16 for a replacement. I will see how my solder (presumably
leadfree) works before I go for a new one.