GTR and Starforce

Old January 9th 06, 09:46 PM posted to rec.autos.simulators

Default GTR and Starforce

>>Alcohol 120% works fine with a Starforce game installed
>>but obviously you can't use it to emulate the game or backup the disc.

> Then it is blacklisting that legitimate program. It is perfectly legal
> to make a backup of any game or program. You don't read too well do
> you? Your nothing but a ****-ant Starforce boot licker, take a hike.

<rollseyes> If a copy protection allows you to easily make a backup then
what's the point of it? What about Playstation 2 games? It's not possible
to make backups of those and I don't hear too many people whinging.

Old January 10th 06, 08:06 AM posted to rec.autos.simulators

>><rollseyes> If a copy protection allows you to easily make a backup then
>>what's the point of it? What about Playstation 2 games? It's not
>>possible
>>to make backups of those and I don't hear too many people whinging.
>>

> Fact: the law says I am allowed to make a backup of any software I
> own. If you aren't going to abide by the law then you are no better
> than a pirate.

Wrong. The only legality in making backups of a game resides in the EULA of
that game.

Old January 11th 06, 11:35 PM posted to rec.autos.simulators

Sean Cousins wrote:
> Fact: the law says I am allowed to make a backup of any software I
> own. If you aren't going to abide by the law then you are no better
> than a pirate.

Maybe where you are, but it's not universal.

You may also find that while you do have the right to make a backup copy
there's not necessarily a law preventing the publishers making it
difficult for you to do so (and if you're in the USA the DMCA makes it
illegal for you to work around those measures).

Isn't it great what Big Business can do?

--

Mr Q
-------------------
Old January 16th 06, 06:32 PM posted to rec.autos.simulators

The 'rings' is part of where they went wrong starting with Win2K.

It's my understanding that, starting with Win2K, MS allows certain elements
of the User Interface to run in Ring 0 for performance reasons.

If that is correct, what a dumb-ass thing to do.

-Larry

Old January 17th 06, 02:32 PM posted to rec.autos.simulators

It is possible this started with NT4. It's been too long for me to
remember.

Either way, dumb ass idea putting parts of the user interface in the
supposidly highly-protected ring-0.

I suspect the spyware and virus authors just love it though.

-Larry

Old January 17th 06, 06:09 PM posted to rec.autos.simulators

As in any type engineering compromises must be made.

Im sure not going to pretend I know why MS made those choices but Im not
presumptuous enough to comment on it without all the facts.

With MS products EVERYONE is a self proclaimed EXPERT.... Thats the biggest
problem I see

Mitch

..

Old January 17th 06, 07:08 PM posted to rec.autos.simulators

"Larry (The Other Larry)" > wrote in message
> It is possible this started with NT4. It's been too long for me to
> remember.
>
> Either way, dumb ass idea putting parts of the user interface in the
> supposidly highly-protected ring-0.

So, if something makes the OS hang, the user interface hangs too, requiring
a swift reset button activity?

There are compromises that are quite necessary to have running as high
priority / ring as possible. Some parts of user interface are part of those
things.

--
Mika Takala

Old January 17th 06, 07:51 PM posted to rec.autos.simulators

That was part of all the griping back when this was discovered. The UI
could actually take out the kernal, which is bad bad bad.

-Larry

.. .