GPL Lite is out... And it runs on a Mac, too

Old February 8th 10, 11:32 PM posted to rec.autos.simulators
Ruud Dingemans

Default GPL Lite is out... And it runs on a Mac, too

Well, to some of you this will certainly be old news. However, since I
haven't seen it mentioned in R.a.s. so far, I'll make a mention of it
since I believe it's worth knowing about.

Anyway, main point is, late last year Strava (praise be him) made a
really nice free little mod for rFactor called Vintage Formula Vee. The
name should be self-explanatory, and it's available he

http://www.nogripracing.com/details.php?filenr=23475

Turns out this one is real, *real* fun to drive. Several former
real-life Vee drivers gave it the nod for being close to the real thing
and having a ball with it, too.

The car model visuals are simpler than most large-team mod wizards
manage for most sims, imho it's the only thing that could do with a V2.0
update, but they're still decent - simple but effective.

Now, like real vintage Vees, being based on a VW Beetle engine this only
has 60ish BHP and a top speed of about 180 kph / 105 mph max, but it
certainly doesn't *feel* slow on anything but the fastest of tracks.
Mosport, Zandvoort, Rouen, Lakeside, the Ring and dozens of other tracks
are a blast having close racing with this one (if you turn down their
aggression level the AI isn't bad, too).

After tearing through several tracks, I realised: This is rather like
"GPL Lite", really.

Not as fast, not as on-edge, but similar - having to squeeze every mph
out of a tiny Beetle engine drifting through tight corners in a little
Formula car makes for some real good racing. It reminded me of the best
bits of the 65 Mod. (Some leagues are running it at the moment, but I'm
hoping more servers will do so. How about a worldwide Formula Vee 'Vroc'?)

As an added bonus, it also runs fine on Mac OS X.

Which for me means that I don't have to fire up the old PC every time
I'd like to do some laps in between work hours. Thanks to an 'rMactor'
guide by Daniel Parsons (up on Google Docs) it was pretty easy to get
rFactor to run on OS X thru a Wine-derived program called CrossOver
Games 8 - I only had to set the rFactor Config utility to DX8 instead of
'auto'.
Runs fine, too, and though I didn't dare hope that rFactor mods and
tracks would work as well, turns out it all runs fine. Can't drive it at
the highest gfx settings on my 2 GHz early-2009 Mac mini, but that's not
really a bother. I'm too busy trying to outbrake those other Vee racers
in the streets of Hitchin or into Moss Corner at Mosport!

So, there you have it, FYI.
If you haven't checked it out yet, it's definitely worth doing so and in
my opinion, is fun enough to justify getting rFactor for it. Rarely have
I bumped into a simulator mod that's such a blast and captures the
thrill of racing old Formula cars as well... Hence, here we have, in my
view, 'GPL Lite' - tho less the speed, no less the fun!

Regards, Rudy
(GPLRank: -40)
Old February 8th 10, 11:51 PM posted to rec.autos.simulators
David G Fisher's Left Testicle

Brill! I shall check this out as soon as I've had my daily wank.

b.home.nl...

Old February 8th 10, 11:51 PM posted to rec.autos.simulators

Old February 9th 10, 12:28 AM posted to rec.autos.simulators
Ken MacKay[_2_]

They are fun little cars. Easy to drive but very difficult to get in the
perfect lap. <begin shameless plug> The Regulars league has been using
them for their winter season. Over half the season still to go.
http://users.hfx.eastlink.ca/~mackaypenny/gplreg.html
<end shameless plug>

Old February 9th 10, 12:46 AM posted to rec.autos.simulators
W Spilman[_3_]

Damn, going for two today!? Impressive.
WS

Old February 9th 10, 12:05 PM posted to rec.autos.simulators
Uwe

On Mon, 08 Feb 2010 23:32:40 +0100, Ruud Dingemans wrote:
> Well, to some of you this will certainly be old news. However, since I
> haven't seen it mentioned in R.a.s. so far, I'll make a mention of it
> since I believe it's worth knowing about.

Hi Ruud,

I tried the mod when it came out (was announced on virtualr.net, I
believe) and I too thought it was great fun and very rewarding (to
drive fast, that is). You'll be pleased to hear it's also supported on
rF Rank, so nothing stands in the way of setting up a formula vee
challenge on the gpl tracks and create a separate "ranking" for the
mod once someone posts a bunch or replays and reference times.

At the moment I'm busy with enduracers endurance mod, but I wouldn't
mind a little RAS based action using the vee's! I can host a server if
there's interest.

All the best, Uwe

Old February 16th 10, 11:32 AM posted to rec.autos.simulators
Rick Catton[_3_]

Ruud Dingemans wrote:
> Well, to some of you this will certainly be old news. However, since I
> haven't seen it mentioned in R.a.s. so far, I'll make a mention of it
> since I believe it's worth knowing about.

Thanks for the post - would have missed this otherwise. You're right -
this mod is a LOAD of fun!

T&C Tail Lite lens, R&R ? ng_reader Chrysler 3 January 8th 07 10:35 PM
94Explorer:Fuel Pump runs runs run& cranks -no start Gil Ford Explorer 13 March 22nd 05 11:48 AM
Opinions on best "lite" AT tire? Jeff Olsen Jeep 12 March 17th 05 04:02 AM
Gas Cap vs Chk Eng Lite Othello Jeep 24 March 16th 05 09:04 PM
engine lite ker Dodge 0 September 14th 04 07:53 PM