Nascar and Intel (via chipset boards?)

Old September 27th 06, 08:51 PM posted to rec.autos.simulators
PlowBoy

Default Nascar and Intel (via chipset boards?)

Having helluva time getting my geforce 7800gs (let alone my 6600gt) card to
run NR03 (papy). Neither in ogl or dx...

I know this motherboard is older VIA P4M266A / VT8235 chipset with 2.8
Prescott chip on it (478 motherboard) and AGP. Anyone else remember having
problems with Vid card stop errors, causing drop to hard reset rebooting,
and how to fix it? Tried new drivers, dx9c and old drivers. get into car,
hit throttle up to 4000 on tach, or idle & roll carefully forward until you
reach 10 simulated ft, out of the pitstall, and you find yourself and the
PC's bios boot screen.

Never in my long history of Papy nascar ownership, (since my 1st version of
the original on floppies to the last incarnation) have I had this problem
before... and GTLegends work better than my old POS & now dead gaming
machine.

I wont suffer long, but admit I hoped the PC Im using while my parts arrive
for newer game rig, would allow me to run some races at the house when I
have visitors, via the nework... & the wife and kids would have a PC of
thier own...

Lastly as I asked on RSC, anyone explain to me what the
PWF_BGNvolumetricfix.exe did? I have it archived because I was on dialup
back then, wondering if I needed it nowdays or not, I dont recall it needing
it with Nvidia cards?

Old September 28th 06, 02:12 PM posted to rec.autos.simulators
LS

I know you need the older 4-in-1 drivers for that chipset.
http://www.viaarena.com/default.aspx...D=1&CatID=1070

It's the retro drivers, option at the bottom. Sometimes you had to drop the
AGP port from 4x to 2x, for stability.

LS

Old September 28th 06, 05:08 PM posted to rec.autos.simulators

Plowboy,

Are you running any other games successfully on that puter? Could be
a bad install of the video drivers. Sometimes if you update drivers
without uninstalling the old ones first you can have problems. Even if
you do uninstall the old vid drivers I always used a driver cleaner
just to be sure. N2003 also kinda weird with certain sound drivers
sometimes. Does the machine ever crash at any other time? Maybe a
clean reinstall of your operating system would do it. It tough to give
you a definitive answer because there are so many possibilities that
could cause the problem you are describing. I would first try to clean
vid drivers and reinstall,then check sound drivers , then reinstall
operating system as a last resort. If none of that works some part of
your hardware could be failing, eg memort,vid card ,hd ,mb.

Steve P

Old September 28th 06, 06:02 PM posted to rec.autos.simulators
PlowBoy

Thanks Sparad! I did use Driver CLeaner Pro v1.3 I think...

right now, I only have GTlegends on there running pretty good! better fps
than I ever had on the now dead gaming machine which was really really old,
let alone cheapo setup upgrade to my p2 1000 mhz rig when NR03 came out. I
was telling myself as I tired everything I could think of short of
reinstalling the OS at this time, that i wish I had had a newer rig back
when everyone else was havin troubles it seems, because I would have paid
more attention to the solutions they found, lol.

Good news is, it might be related to the drivers for the older via chipset
that LS posted above you eluded to... and that my Gaming rig (still awaitng
my new harddrive) is up and updating the OS as we speak, with an old drive
that I will image the stable system to the new drive when it arrives, & keep
this old 40 gig drive as a backup image

:P.

enlightened us with:

Old September 28th 06, 06:06 PM posted to rec.autos.simulators
PlowBoy

Aha! kewl, thank you so much LS,

I will have to try that soon....

I got everythig for the new rig, except the matching stick of memory (so I
can have dual channel memory for the cpu/motherboard) and the new harddrive
last night so I have been installing and updating everything so I can have a
backup image of a working system, by tonight... then clone the partition to
the new drive when it gets here... that way I dont have to redo all this
work I got done last night.

LS enlightened us with:

Old October 3rd 06, 06:08 PM posted to rec.autos.simulators
PlowBoy

Anymore ideas? lol. this was NOT the problem, either that or I am having
too much trouble getting XP to take the older drivers, go figure..?

thanks anyhow
LS enlightened us with: