Truck horn vs. car horn

Old August 17th 05, 01:26 AM
meirman

Default Truck horn vs. car horn

Thanks for the help in the other posts.

I have 3 more, pretty straightforward questions, I think. #2 is the
most imporant.

I have a '95 Lebaron. My left horn broke, and I replaced it with a
horn from a friend's '95 Caravan, which had been wrecked.

His horn seems louder than mine was, maybe because his was a truck,
and mine is a mere car. Is that the way it works?

(I can't compare my new horn to the original horn, because I have had
the horn from my '84 or '88 Lebaron in there until today, and I had
destroyed the original horn, in order to look inside of it. The horn
I took out today from my previous car never worked well, maybe because
I had to jury-rig the connector. Which has nothing to do with rigging
a trial jury. )

If you email me, please let me know whether
or not you are posting the same letter.
If necessary, change domain to erols.com.

Directions are given as if you know nothing.
There's a big range here but I don't know who knows what.
Old August 17th 05, 10:16 AM
Ted Mittelstaedt

"meirman" > wrote in message
> Thanks for the help in the other posts.
>
> I have 3 more, pretty straightforward questions, I think. #2 is the
> most imporant.
>
> I have a '95 Lebaron. My left horn broke, and I replaced it with a
> horn from a friend's '95 Caravan, which had been wrecked.
>
> His horn seems louder than mine was, maybe because his was a truck,
> and mine is a mere car. Is that the way it works?

Horns are built to sound musical notes. Typically the dual-note horn
was 2 individual horns, one A the other F, that makes a partial chord
I believe (the musical folk on the group can correct me) However, you
can find notes A, B, C, D, E, & F in the wrecking yards parts bins,
as for single-note horns in cars the makers seemed to use all notes.

It is possible to put 3 horns to make a full chord, I believe it's A, C, F.

However the problem is that if you use the wrong notes, like A & D, you
create I think it's called a dissonant chord, which doesen't sound right.
Basically the 2 notes aren't harmonics of each other, and so the horns
are fighting each other, one always sounds louder. This also can happen
if the horn is out of tune.. With a full or partial chord using the right
notes the horns harmonize with each other as they are harmonics of
each other, so the notes reinforce each other.

The horn note is usually stamped somewhere on the horn itself.

Ted

Old August 17th 05, 01:31 PM
Bill Putney

Ted Mittelstaedt wrote:

> However the problem is that if you use the wrong notes, like A & D, you
> create I think it's called a dissonant chord, which doesen't sound right.
> Basically the 2 notes aren't harmonics of each other,...

Is that what's intentionally used on fire trucks?

Bill Putney
address with the letter 'x')
Old August 17th 05, 04:59 PM
Daniel J. Stern

On Tue, 16 Aug 2005, meirman wrote:

> I have a '95 Lebaron. My left horn broke, and I replaced it with a horn
> from a friend's '95 Caravan, which had been wrecked. His horn seems
> louder than mine was, maybe because his was a truck, and mine is a mere
> car. Is that the way it works?

No.

Old August 17th 05, 07:10 PM
Steve

Bill Putney wrote:

> Ted Mittelstaedt wrote:
>
>> However the problem is that if you use the wrong notes, like A & D, you
>> create I think it's called a dissonant chord, which doesen't sound right.
>> Basically the 2 notes aren't harmonics of each other,...

> Is that what's intentionally used on fire trucks?

Probably. There's also a certain amount of debate as to whether or not a
major or minor chord is more attention-getting. Railroad companies have
often specified one vs. the other for their locomotives (google for
'Nathan Airchime' and 'Leslie air horn' for more info on train horns and
chords).

One thing I'm convinced of is that the goofy little "buzzer" horns found
on a lot of imports are completely useless.

Old August 17th 05, 09:16 PM
Bill Putney

Steve wrote:
> Bill Putney wrote:
>
>> Ted Mittelstaedt wrote:
>>
>>> However the problem is that if you use the wrong notes, like A & D, you
>>> create I think it's called a dissonant chord, which doesen't sound
>>> right.
>>> Basically the 2 notes aren't harmonics of each other,...

>> Is that what's intentionally used on fire trucks?
>>

> Probably. There's also a certain amount of debate as to whether or not a
> major or minor chord is more attention-getting. Railroad companies have
> often specified one vs. the other for their locomotives (google for
> 'Nathan Airchime' and 'Leslie air horn' for more info on train horns and
> chords).
>
> One thing I'm convinced of is that the goofy little "buzzer" horns found
> on a lot of imports are completely useless.

I haven't studied horn technology, but the '86 Subaru wagon I had had an
adjustment knob on the horn assemblies. I discovered it one day when
the horns quit working. Apparently they adjust the little screw at the
factory to some specified dB level. Well - I pulled both horns off and
found those screws (one on each horn), and found that not only could I
make the horns start working again by adjusting them, but that I could
fine tune them for *tremendous* sound volume - way more than the
original factory setting. It was loud!

Oh - and I would strongly suggest that anyone playing with those
adjustments wear ear plugs while doing so. What? What?

Bill Putney
address with the letter 'x')
Old August 17th 05, 09:22 PM
meirman

In rec.autos.makers.chrysler on Tue, 16 Aug 2005 20:26:26 -0400
meirman > posted:

>Thanks for the help in the other posts.
>
>I have 3 more, pretty straightforward questions, I think. #2 is the
>most imporant.
>
>I have a '95 Lebaron. My left horn broke, and I replaced it with a
>horn from a friend's '95 Caravan, which had been wrecked.
>
>His horn seems louder than mine was, maybe because his was a truck,
>and mine is a mere car. Is that the way it works?

Interesting thread.

So are the horns in a Caravan or other truck louder than the horns in
a LeBaron?

Old August 17th 05, 10:03 PM
Daniel J. Stern

On Wed, 17 Aug 2005, meirman wrote:

> So are the horns in a Caravan or other truck louder than the horns in a
> LeBaron?

Not necessarily, no.

Old August 17th 05, 10:14 PM
Robbie and Laura Reynolds

Bill Putney wrote:

> Ted Mittelstaedt wrote:
>
> > However the problem is that if you use the wrong notes, like A & D, you
> > create I think it's called a dissonant chord, which doesen't sound right.
> > Basically the 2 notes aren't harmonics of each other,...

> Is that what's intentionally used on fire trucks?

I wouldn't think that a major chord would be jarring enough. It would
sound kind of silly on a car horn. I think the standard car horn has a
minor third in it.
Old August 18th 05, 02:30 AM
meirman

In rec.autos.makers.chrysler on Wed, 17 Aug 2005 16:14:46 -0500 Robbie
and Laura Reynolds > posted:

>Bill Putney wrote:
>>
>> Ted Mittelstaedt wrote:
>>
>> > However the problem is that if you use the wrong notes, like A & D, you
>> > create I think it's called a dissonant chord, which doesen't sound right.
>> > Basically the 2 notes aren't harmonics of each other,...

>> Is that what's intentionally used on fire trucks?

>I wouldn't think that a major chord would be jarring enough. It would
>sound kind of silly on a car horn. I think the standard car horn has a
>minor third in it.

I think the Caravan's horns were marked 400 and 500 Hz.

Horn Replacement Tom T Jeep 0 February 27th 05 03:13 AM
security system does not chirp after horn replacement ymg200 Saturn 4 February 20th 05 01:37 AM
Horn malfunction private Saturn 7 February 16th 05 05:12 PM
Truck accident... bizarre legalities... Goo Driving 4 December 6th 04 06:06 AM
Horn Wiring Hell - Escaped Spike VW air cooled 0 November 14th 04 06:37 PM