Beetle/bug Pickup project

Old May 4th 13, 09:33 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.vw.aircooled
tricky[_2_]

Default Beetle/bug Pickup project

I was thinking how we seemed to have picked up at bit (excuse the pun ! )

Old May 17th 13, 10:30 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.vw.aircooled
AllanW

On Friday, 3 May 2013 14:20:52 UTC+12, Bill Berckman wrote:
> Wow! One post with 19 replies. Nice to see Ramva rockin again. I remember back in the late 70's seeing a Beetle pick-up conversion abandoned with no engine that would have been mine for the taking. Should have grabbed it then, but was driving a 73 Beetle at the time and still living at my parents house. A VW pickup in front of the house with no motor would not have gone over very well. I should have just taken it home and asked for forgivness later.

Maybe we need a "What did you do to your VW today" thread or something :-D
Old May 17th 13, 03:34 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.vw.aircooled
Bill Leary

Default What did you do to your VW today?

"AllanW" wrote in message
> On Friday, 3 May 2013 14:20:52 UTC+12, Bill Berckman wrote:
>> Wow! One post with 19 replies. Nice to see Ramva rockin again.
>> I remember back in the late 70's seeing a Beetle pick-up conversion
>> abandoned with no engine that would have been mine for the taking.
>> Should have grabbed it then, but was driving a 73 Beetle at the time
>> and still living at my parents house. A VW pickup in front of the
>> house with no motor would not have gone over very well. I should
>> have just taken it home and asked for forgivness later.

> Maybe we need a "What did you do to your VW today" thread or something :-D

There you go.

I could comment on what I did to my VW today, but mine's water cooled.

My curiosities a

How many in this group still have air cooled VW's?
- and -
What is their status?
On the road, running but not on the road?
Stored?
Things like that.

- Bill

Old May 17th 13, 09:35 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.vw.aircooled
tricky[_2_]

On 17/05/13 15:34, Bill Leary wrote:
> "AllanW" wrote in message
>> On Friday, 3 May 2013 14:20:52 UTC+12, Bill Berckman wrote:
>>> Wow! One post with 19 replies. Nice to see Ramva rockin again.
>>> I remember back in the late 70's seeing a Beetle pick-up conversion
>>> abandoned with no engine that would have been mine for the taking.
>>> Should have grabbed it then, but was driving a 73 Beetle at the time
>>> and still living at my parents house. A VW pickup in front of the
>>> house with no motor would not have gone over very well. I should
>>> have just taken it home and asked for forgivness later.

>> Maybe we need a "What did you do to your VW today" thread or something
>> :-D

> There you go.
>
> I could comment on what I did to my VW today, but mine's water cooled.
>
> My curiosities a
>
> How many in this group still have air cooled VW's?
> - and -
> What is their status?
> On the road, running but not on the road?
> Stored?
> Things like that.
>
> - Bill

I have both air cooled and water cooled.
My interest here is totally air cooled.

I am finding more and more that forums are becoming more water cooled in
their content as they are cheaper.
Water cooled, to me is just a cheap daily ! not a classic in any way.

Maybe RAMVA can come back... just for it's air cooled 'ness
Old May 17th 13, 11:53 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.vw.aircooled
Bill Leary

"tricky" wrote in message
> On 17/05/13 15:34, Bill Leary wrote:
>> "AllanW" wrote in message
>>> ((..omitted..))
>>> Maybe we need a "What did you do to your VW today" thread or something

>> There you go.
>>
>> I could comment on what I did to my VW today, but mine's water cooled.
>>
>> My curiosities a
>>
>> How many in this group still have air cooled VW's?
>> - and -
>> What is their status?
>> On the road, running but not on the road?
>> Stored?
>> Things like that.

> I have both air cooled and water cooled.
> My interest here is totally air cooled.
>
> I am finding more and more that forums are becoming more water
> cooled in their content as they are cheaper.
> Water cooled, to me is just a cheap daily ! not a classic in any way.

I and my 26 year old Scirocco 16V will respectfully disagree with that.

On the flip side, though, I see your point. I'd like to acquire and put an
air cooled on the road after I retire, which isn't very far away.

Old May 18th 13, 03:28 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.vw.aircooled

Bill Leary > wrote:
> > ...not a classic in any way.

> ...my 26 year old Scirocco 16V will respectfully disagree with that.

Worked on my '75 "Dent Side" Ford pickup today, it's long over due,
been driving the heck out of it in the last few years.

I bought it new. xD

For me, to be a classic, it has to be the Ford truck style before my
Dent Side, a '72 or earlier "Bump Side". YMMV?

> I'd like to acquire and put an air cooled on the road after
> I retire, which isn't very far away.
> - Bill

My new wife wants to get my dune buggy from the friend I gave it to.
He ain't done nuthin with it so he'll be glad for me to get it going
and then give it back to 'im maybe-even running this time. LOL

Alvin in AZ
Old May 18th 13, 11:22 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.vw.aircooled
Bill Leary

wrote in message ...
> Bill Leary > wrote:
>>> ...not a classic in any way.

>> ...my 26 year old Scirocco 16V will respectfully disagree with that.

> Worked on my '75 "Dent Side"

Do you mean built with an indent (I've seen some like that) or that it's
badly dented?

> Ford pickup today, it's long over due, been driving the heck out of
> it in the last few years.
>
> I bought it new. xD

Oh, my. I bought this about eight years ago. It has spent ten years in
somebody's garage then their son had had it poorly repaired and drove it for
about a year. He ended up not liking it any more than is father had so I
got it with less than 110K on it.

> For me, to be a classic, it has to be the Ford truck style before
> my Dent Side, a '72 or earlier "Bump Side". YMMV?

Certainly. I see a lot of things I'd call "classic" and other might not.
And vice-versa.

>> I'd like to acquire and put an air cooled on the road after
>> I retire, which isn't very far away.

> My new wife wants to get my dune buggy from the friend
> I gave it to. He ain't done nuthin with it so he'll be glad for
> me to get it going and then give it back to 'im maybe-even
> running this time. LOL

I wanted to build up a dune buggy, though I rarely go on the beaches. I
mostly just liked how they looked. But at the time I might have been able
to do it I couldn't find any that were all-year capable and I couldn't
afford to have two cars. These days I can afford two cars (I don’t' drive
the Scirocco in the winter, for example), but don't really have the
inclination to be building a buggy.

- Bill

Old May 18th 13, 02:35 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.vw.aircooled
[email protected][_1_]

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/classifie...php?id=1459789

heres one
I was looking for a picture of a C- box wagon I had worked on one and the guy bought it to sell so if you know what they are and interested let me know

Old May 18th 13, 09:17 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.vw.aircooled
tricky[_2_]

On 17/05/13 23:53, Bill Leary wrote:
> "tricky" wrote in message
>>>
>>> There you go.
>>>
>>> I could comment on what I did to my VW today, but mine's water cooled.
>>>
>>> My curiosities a
>>>
>>> How many in this group still have air cooled VW's?
>>> - and -
>>> What is their status?
>>> On the road, running but not on the road?
>>> Stored?
>>> Things like that.

>> I have both air cooled and water cooled.
>> My interest here is totally air cooled.
>>
>> I am finding more and more that forums are becoming more water
>> cooled in their content as they are cheaper.
>> Water cooled, to me is just a cheap daily ! not a classic in any way.

> I and my 26 year old Scirocco 16V will respectfully disagree with that.
>
> On the flip side, though, I see your point. I'd like to acquire and put
> an air cooled on the road after I retire, which isn't very far away.
>
>> Maybe RAMVA can come back... just for it's air cooled 'ness

> - Bill

I can see your point on the 26 yrs old Rocko

Wifey and I have a porsche 924 and 924's of a similar age..
but to me ... it's not the same !

Air cooled is 1930's vintage !!
Old May 18th 13, 09:33 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.vw.aircooled

> wrote:

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/classifie...php?id=1459789

Wow, they did a great job on the body, IMO.
(it don't look "hacked")

Alvin in AZ