#3 retard on Distributor cam

Old November 24th 04, 03:53 PM
Peter

"Chris Perdue" > wrote in message
>....MANY people have responded to his post here
> (and i believe one on STF?) but they are met with an attitude about

it....if
> this guy is so sure what is *NOT* the answer then he must know what the

answer
> is....

Sorry, I wasn't aware I was answering posts with an "attitude". I will be
more careful in future. Sometimes when you write in 'straight talk' it
comes out 'pushy' but in most case this would be unintentional. I did get a
'baptism by fire' when I first really started to post on RAMVA and I took it
all the wrong way and made it worse. Anyway, all I am trying to do is sift
through the facts. I am doing a whole heap of other research on the
subject, as side from my questions posted here. I don't intend construe the
facts to my own personal opinions on the matter, even though that can be
difficult. You already know some of my thoughts on this issue, from an
earlier post, which simply raised my interest in the subject once again. I
realise the subject may bore many who feel they have been here before, so
forgive me, my interest is genuine, simply because I would like to know.

Old November 24th 04, 06:16 PM
Raymond Lowe

Peter wrote:
> "Tim Rogers" > wrote in message
>
>> ................"repeating what they have heard" ???
>>
>> .........Why don't you do your own research and then share your
>> original thoughts with us. I promise that I won't repeat your
>> findings as my own but will instead give you credit for your
>> original thoughts that you obtained from your own direct
>> observations. You could become the next Bob Hoover or Jake Raby or
>> John Connolly or.............maybe NOT!
>>
>> .........Fill in your own gaps.

> In my experience, much of what people have to say is handed down from
> one source or another. In the case of specific information, when it
> comes from a verifiable reference, it can be trusted, to a degree. I
> have read a fair bit of people comments on this subject going back
> nine years and I have seen little that can be verified, leaving us in
> the realms of virtual rumour. Very few offer more than a "check the
> official manuals" but, when I do, there is very little on the
> subject. The Type 1 Bentley manual for 66-69 barely mentions it as
> "on some engines" but does not explain it. The 70-79 manual does not
> appear to mention it at all, despite 70 being the last year for the
> old fan shroud (except for 1200's). So far, I have not found any
> reference to it in other official workshop manual that I have,
> although I have seen it on VW distributor data sheets. But, again,
> these only state that it exists and sometimes in contradiction with
> other official VW publications. I don't have access to the 61-65
> Bentley, right now, so it would be nice if someone could check that
> one out for me, as the retard was supposed to have been introduced
> for the 65 model year. I would hope that someone has one of those VW
> bulletins that usually explain the why's and wherefores very well.
>
> John Connolly actually tested distributors, which is a pretty
> sure-fire method of identifying what does and does not have the
> retard, but still may not fill in all the gaps. He also has similar
> opinions on the subject as did Gene Berg, which make a great deal of
> sense. Much of the debate has, in the past, revolved around the 009,
> so the research done by others does not always cover the area which I
> have questioned. Anyone who can test their original distributor and
> submit the results with the VW (or Bosch) part number, would go a
> long way to disproving (not proving) some of the opinions or
> theories. Meanwhile, anyone who can submit the reference material
> that can knock this on the head, would be very much appreciated.

Ah, yes. An excellent example of "ad nauseam".

RT
--
E-mail=fullname-at-telus.net

Old November 24th 04, 10:12 PM
Tim Rogers

"Chris Perdue" > wrote in message

> hate to say it, but i'm with Tim....

LOL !

................Like I've said before Chris. Whenever there is agreement
between me and you or with Travis (gasp!), I start wondering whether there's
something wrong.......very wrong. Like maybe I'm going to turn into a NASCAR
watching, banjo playing, pork skin eating, iced tea drinking southerner or
something.

Old November 24th 04, 11:56 PM
Kafertoys

Don't worry Peter, Tim has proven time and time again all hes good at is
useless fill. I haven't seen him give any correct or useful advise in this
newsgroup meant to help people with their aircooled VW's like it was intended
for.

Mario
Vintage Werks restorations
Old November 25th 04, 12:34 AM
Lauren

EMOVE (Chris Perdue) wrote in message >...
> >From: "Tim Rogers"

> >................"repeating what they have heard" ???
> >
> >.........Why don't you do your own research and then share your original
> >thoughts with us.

> <snip>
>
> >.Fill in your own gaps.

> hate to say it, but i'm with Tim....MANY people have responded to his post here
> (and i believe one on STF?) but they are met with an attitude about it....if
> this guy is so sure what is *NOT* the answer then he must know what the answer
> is....or maybe he has a desired outcome and any answers that don't match are
> "hearsay" or "repeating what they heard"......but of course *anyone* here that
> offers up info is going to be repeating what they have heard or read, because i
> don't think anyone here was an engineer for vw back in the early days...maybe
> we should hunt Lauren up and introduce her and steve, they seem to be a great
> match....
> -------------------
> Chris Perdue
> "I'm ever so thankful for the Internet; it has allowed me to keep a finger in
> the pie and to make some small contribution to those younger who will carry the
> air-cooled legend forward"
> Jim Mais
> Feb. 2004

you know where to find me Chris...

sometimes there are things that are obviously not the answer to the
question that someone has and it can be frustrating trying to figure
out what it is and just getting the same responses telling you its one
thing that you know it;s not cause you already checked that...

i have no idea what this post is in reference to... i just commented
cause Chris drug me into this...
Old November 25th 04, 12:44 AM
Chris Perdue

>From: "Peter"

>forgive me, my interest is genuine, simply because I would like to know.

that is great....we all like to learn, and we sometimes pick something that
isn't readily available knowledge(i guess its the challenge?)....i hope you
find all you are seeking, really, but about all most of us can offer is what we
have "heard" from trusted mechanics/friends/"gurus", or read in some place, and
may not be able to provide a link or even page number in a book....in the "vw
world" there are also alot of things passed along for litterally years, that
are "common knowledge" but doesn't mean they are completely factual....good
luck in your search, and please make the info available for future inquisitive
minds...
-------------------
Old November 25th 04, 12:55 AM
Chris Perdue

>From: kafertoys

>Tim has proven time and time again all hes good at is
>useless fill.

>I haven't seen him give any correct or useful advise in this
>newsgroup meant to help people with their aircooled VW's like it was
>intended
>for.

i beg to differ Mario....Tim does help out the people looking for info
here....you may not see it, or you may not agree with what he says, but that
doesn't change that he does indeed help others out, and i'll go further to say
that he usually only offers info that he knows is correct and verifiable,
either in print or by his own experiences....there have been huge gaps in time
when you did not even make a post to this group Mario, much less provide
usefull "fill"...you have become very active in this group, and i see that as
somewhat of a positive thing, because those here looking for help can always
benefit from more minds with more experiences...But please don't make bull****
statements like you did above when they are based on your dislike for the
poster, especially when your "dislike" for him has been reported by you to be
that he says things about you that are untrue.....your statement about him was
definitely "untrue"....now....help out those that need the help and play
nice....and find me a ragtop roof section....<G>
-------------------
Old November 25th 04, 02:26 AM
Kafertoys

ok I'm sorry
I'll go stand in the corner now

Mario
Old November 26th 04, 12:12 PM
Shaggie

On 24 Nov 2004 16:34:10 -0800, (Lauren) wrote:

(Chris Perdue) wrote in message >...
>> >From: "Tim Rogers"

>> >................"repeating what they have heard" ???
>> >
>> >.........Why don't you do your own research and then share your original
>> >thoughts with us.

>> <snip>
>>
>> >.Fill in your own gaps.

>> hate to say it, but i'm with Tim....MANY people have responded to his post here
>> (and i believe one on STF?) but they are met with an attitude about it....if
>> this guy is so sure what is *NOT* the answer then he must know what the answer
>> is....or maybe he has a desired outcome and any answers that don't match are
>> "hearsay" or "repeating what they heard"......but of course *anyone* here that
>> offers up info is going to be repeating what they have heard or read, because i
>> don't think anyone here was an engineer for vw back in the early days...maybe
>> we should hunt Lauren up and introduce her and steve, they seem to be a great
>> match....
>> -------------------
>> Chris Perdue
>> "I'm ever so thankful for the Internet; it has allowed me to keep a finger in
>> the pie and to make some small contribution to those younger who will carry the
>> air-cooled legend forward"
>> Jim Mais
>> Feb. 2004

>you know where to find me Chris...
>
>sometimes there are things that are obviously not the answer to the
>question that someone has and it can be frustrating trying to figure
>out what it is and just getting the same responses telling you its one
>thing that you know it;s not cause you already checked that...
>
>i have no idea what this post is in reference to... i just commented
>cause Chris drug me into this...

I'm just glad we got that whole hood emblem thing settled. :-D

---

I cannot conceive of a personal God who would directly influence
the actions of individuals, or would directly sit in judgment on
creatures of his own creation. - Albert Einstein