Help! Front windshield wipers stopped working!

Old December 11th 04, 01:56 AM
GA

Default Help! Front windshield wipers stopped working!

Hello everyone,

I need your help, my front windshield wipers just stopped working (not a
good thing as there is snow coming down and there is snow forecasted for the
next week!!!) I checked the fuses in the glove compartment (I guess I should
mention that I have a 97 TJ...) and they are fine I even replaced it, just
in case, but the wipers are still not working, the windshield fluid spray
works tough... Here is pretty much where my mechanical knowledge ends (I
wish I knew more!), what should I check next?

Thanks for your help in advance!
Joe.

Old December 11th 04, 02:28 AM
Punch

"GA" > wrote in message
> Hello everyone,
>
> I need your help, my front windshield wipers just stopped working (not a
> good thing as there is snow coming down and there is snow forecasted for
> the
> next week!!!) I checked the fuses in the glove compartment (I guess I
> should
> mention that I have a 97 TJ...) and they are fine I even replaced it, just
> in case, but the wipers are still not working, the windshield fluid spray
> works tough... Here is pretty much where my mechanical knowledge ends (I
> wish I knew more!), what should I check next?
>
> Thanks for your help in advance!
> Joe.

power to the motor ( use one of thos pen type testers with the sharp point)
, find the wiper motor, stick the point into one of the wires , ground the
other, if the pen lights up you have power to the motor, thus the motor is
the problem.

Old December 11th 04, 11:04 AM
Cherokee-LTD

Here is an easy way to check if you're not mechanically inclined.
Step 1. Fuse (good job)
Step 2. Turn wipers on. Wiggle the switch, try every position while watching
for any movement of the wipers. Watch closely, they may move a tiny bit if
you hit the sweet spot on a bad switch.
Step 3. Turn wipers on. Nudge the wipers by hand - not too hard. If the
wiper motor has a dead spot a little nudge might find it.
Anything beyond these methods is a little more advanced like checking bad
connections with a circuit tester, wiggling plugs, taking the switch apart
etc. Try steps 2&3 and if you're feeling adventurous, come back and ask for
advice.

-Brian

"GA" > wrote in message
: Hello everyone,
:

Old December 11th 04, 05:10 PM
GA

Hey guys,

thanks for your input! I found what the problem was... I opened up the
panel on the hood where the wiper motor is and guess what... there was a big
clump of ice just blocking down the all liver system!!!
Once I broke the ice it started working again. Damn freezing rain!

Thanks for your help again!
Joe.

Old December 11th 04, 05:20 PM
Mike Romain

Wow are you ever lucky!

Normally when I see that I also see a dead wiper module for the
intermittent and low speeds. All that is left is high.

Mike
88 Cherokee 235 BFG AT's

Old December 11th 04, 05:50 PM
Snow

Thats why I have about 4 of these modules on hand (all junkyard pulls),
right now I'm on module #2.

Snow...

Old December 11th 04, 06:06 PM
Mike Romain

My CJ7 one is toast. I really only need the schematic for it and I can
replace the popped diodes or find someone to open one and tell me the
numbers.

Bill?????

Mike
88 Cherokee 235 BFG AT's

Old December 11th 04, 09:16 PM
L.W.(ßill) Hughes III

I hear their linkage fails and binds up:
http://www.billhughes.com/TJwiperLinkage.jpg
God Bless America, ßill O|||||||O

Old December 11th 04, 09:36 PM
L.W.(ßill) Hughes III

Hi Mike,
Diodes? It's mechanical switched at the motor, which you may take
it apart and check the connection for run and park, but more than likely
it's the motor that's cooked. This is all I have and it's for a '72 CJ,
it does indecate you have a separte breaker switch, though:
http://www.billhughes.com/cjWipers.jpg
God Bless America, ßill O|||||||O

Old December 11th 04, 11:09 PM
Mike Romain

Thanks Bill.

My 86 CJ7 Laredo has a fancy intermittent wiper module in it. That
thing has diodes and resistors in it.

Mike

"L.W.(ßill) Hughes III" wrote:

> Hi Mike,
> Diodes? It's mechanical switched at the motor, which you may take
> it apart and check the connection for run and park, but more than likely
> it's the motor that's cooked. This is all I have and it's for a '72 CJ,
> it does indecate you have a separte breaker switch, though:
> http://www.billhughes.com/cjWipers.jpg
> God Bless America, ßill O|||||||O
>
> Mike Romain wrote:
> >
> > My CJ7 one is toast. I really only need the schematic for it and I can
> > replace the popped diodes or find someone to open one and tell me the
> > numbers.
> >
> > Bill?????
> >
> > Mike
> > 86/00 CJ7 Laredo, 33x9.5 BFG Muds, 'glass nose to tail in '00
> > 88 Cherokee 235 BFG AT's

92 Dynasty Windshield Wipers Bret Chrysler 26 January 8th 05 04:34 AM
Windshield wiper not working Ulf BMW 4 December 21st 04 01:50 PM
98 BMW 528i Wipers not working Michael & Yesenia Ruffin BMW 0 September 30th 04 11:07 PM