GPL and 100% detail bias...

Old October 29th 04, 06:51 AM
Jussi Koukku

On Thu, 28 Oct 2004 17:34:54 +0100, "Malc" >
wrote something like:

>"Jussi Koukku" > wrote in message
.. .

>> I'm certainly not going to keep z-buffer disabled, 22fps is far from
>> acceptable. 99% detail bias is also unacceptable cause my rig can
>> easily handle 100%. Plus it's very much noticeable.

>Except you are clearly saying it cannot ;-)

LOL, I guess you're right in a way =)

>Solution #4: Throw money at your PC. Get an nVidia 5900XT or 6800GT or
>something, and use OpenGL.

No need to go back to that blurry OGL image quality ;-)

>I run gpl at 1600x1200 with 8xAniso, 100% detail & so on & get about
>32fps at the back of a full gplea grid (about 30 at Monaco with the
>rocks update), and 36 fps everywhere else. No transparent cars, lovely.
>Don't really need AA at 1600x1200 but the card has the power to use it
>online & hotlapping so I do. I'm rarely at the back of a full grid of AI
>but I often watch server replays with full grids.

I'd run it at 1600x1200 too if only my 19" CRT would give me more than
75Hz at that resolution. 36fps at that resolution is no problem, only
in monaco I get less than that at the back of the grid. Next time I
start throwing money at the general direction of my PC, it'll be for a
new monitor. But thanks for the suggestions.
--
- Jussi Koukku -
Old October 29th 04, 08:42 AM
Malc

"Jussi Koukku" > wrote in message
> On Thu, 28 Oct 2004 17:34:54 +0100, "Malc" >
> wrote something like:

> >Solution #4: Throw money at your PC. Get an nVidia 5900XT or 6800GT

or
> >something, and use OpenGL.

> No need to go back to that blurry OGL image quality ;-)

If you are dissapointed with less than 100% detail I guess you won't
want to compromise here either but I don't find it to be an issue. To my
eyes with 8x aniso it looks fine.

> I'd run it at 1600x1200 too if only my 19" CRT would give me more than
> 75Hz at that resolution. 36fps at that resolution is no problem, only
> in monaco I get less than that at the back of the grid. Next time I
> start throwing money at the general direction of my PC, it'll be for a
> new monitor. But thanks for the suggestions.

I have a 21" monitor which is handy for the high resolution, but with 4x
AA (I find the card struggles with 8x) it looks okay at 1152x864. I can
run 1600x1200 though, so I do. I understand Ati cards have a problem
with AA in 16bit colour too. In terms of gpl at least, I find nVidia
cards are more 'compatable', although probably not ultimately as fast
price for price. There's little to split Ati & nVidia, but OpenGL is one
of them.

Malc.

Old October 29th 04, 06:28 PM
Biz

"Jussi Koukku" > wrote in message
> On Thu, 28 Oct 2004 17:34:54 +0100, "Malc" >
> wrote something like:
>
> >"Jussi Koukku" > wrote in message
> .. .
> >
> >> I'm certainly not going to keep z-buffer disabled, 22fps is far from
> >> acceptable. 99% detail bias is also unacceptable cause my rig can
> >> easily handle 100%. Plus it's very much noticeable.

> >Except you are clearly saying it cannot ;-)

> LOL, I guess you're right in a way =)
>
> >Solution #4: Throw money at your PC. Get an nVidia 5900XT or 6800GT or
> >something, and use OpenGL.

> No need to go back to that blurry OGL image quality ;-)

Adjust the LOD bias with whatever tuning program you use. The default LOD
is different for D3D vs. OpenGL causing this, and its easily corrected so
its not a valid excuse for anyone.

Old October 30th 04, 12:19 AM
alexti

"Malc" > wrote in news:4182c072$0$43603$ed2e19e4@ptn-
nntp-reader04.plus.net:

> There are pros & cons to top/bottom posting and the reason for snipping
> is the same either way, but it is generally considered simpler if
> everyone posts in the same basic way on Usenet, and for various reasons
> (probably including giving the next generation something trivial to
> rebel against) generally the agreed format is to snip your quotes &
> bottom post.

I would disagree about the necessity to posting in the same way. Whether to
use top or bottom post depends on the context.

For example, if one replies to somebody else points, it's polite (well, at
least it's more efficient) to reply below the relevant quotes (and don't
quote whole message). Which is technically not a bottom-post if there's
more than one quote-reply pair, but people usually call it bottom-post
anyway.

If one states his views or provide some relevant information without
replying to anybody's post in particular, it's practical to top post (and
don't quote any other message). In this case one should also chose to reply
to the post closer to the root of the discussion thread, rather than reply
to the message arguing some particular details and buried deep in the
thread.

If one states his views or provide some information that's unrelated to the
topic of the thread, one should top post and start a new thread (though the
new topic should respect the rules of particular newsgroup where it is
posted).

Alex.
Old November 1st 04, 12:20 PM
Jussi Koukku

On Fri, 29 Oct 2004 17:28:44 GMT, "Biz" > wrote
something like:

>"Jussi Koukku" > wrote in message
.. .
>> On Thu, 28 Oct 2004 17:34:54 +0100, "Malc" >
>> wrote something like:
>>
>> No need to go back to that blurry OGL image quality ;-)

>Adjust the LOD bias with whatever tuning program you use. The default LOD
>is different for D3D vs. OpenGL causing this, and its easily corrected so
>its not a valid excuse for anyone.

Surely you noticed the smilie?
--
- Jussi Koukku -