Bad Rear Brake Drums from Napa

Old April 2nd 05, 03:14 AM
Rick Yerke

Default Bad Rear Brake Drums from Napa

I recently had new rear brake drums and brakes installed on my 99 dodge
caravan.They made my van shack like hell braking down hills.A second set of
drums were installed and they vibrated more than the first set.All the
other brake parts are fine.Has any one else had problems with Napa brake
drums? These were Made in China and they were the more expensive drums.

Rick Yerke
101 William St
PO Box 392
Moscow Pa. 18444
USA
Old April 2nd 05, 04:58 AM
Sarge

Rick Yerke wrote in message: "I recently had new rear brake drums and brakes
installed on my 99 dodge caravan.They made my van shack like hell braking
down hills.A second set of drums were installed and they vibrated more than
the first set.All the other brake parts are fine.Has any one else had
problems with Napa brake drums? These were Made in China and they were the
more expensive drums."

I had bad disc and drums from NAPA, O'Reilly's and Autozone. I now ask them
to turn them before I bring them home. Several had high spots that would
have caused excessive vibration and wear even brand new. Have the drums
turned should solve your problem.

Sarge

Old April 2nd 05, 11:54 AM
maxpower

"Rick Yerke" > wrote in message
> I recently had new rear brake drums and brakes installed on my 99 dodge
> caravan.They made my van shack like hell braking down hills.A second set

of
> drums were installed and they vibrated more than the first set.All the
> other brake parts are fine.Has any one else had problems with Napa brake
> drums? These were Made in China and they were the more expensive drums.
>
> Rick Yerke
> 101 William St
> PO Box 392
> Moscow Pa. 18444
> USA

It makes a big difference where and how to store these drums/disk on the
shelf, they can warp in the box beleive it or not

Old April 2nd 05, 02:49 PM
Bill Putney

maxpower wrote:

> It makes a big difference where and how to store these drums/disk on the
> shelf, they can warp in the box beleive it or not

Please explain.

Bill Putney
adddress with the letter 'x')
Old April 2nd 05, 09:16 PM
maxpower

"Bill Putney" > wrote in message
> maxpower wrote:
> >
> > It makes a big difference where and how to store these drums/disk on the
> > shelf, they can warp in the box beleive it or not

> Please explain.
>
> Bill Putney
> (To reply by e-mail, replace the last letter of the alphabet in my
> adddress with the letter 'x')

I'm talking experience Bill, Our parts department used to stack rotors and
drums on top of each other, several together. We would install them and find
the pulsation was really bad, we were charging the parts department the
labor to machine them.. then they finally got smart and stored them
differently and the warped rotors and drums stopped. not sure if the
shelves they had them on were flimsy and caused this, you would have to ask
someone who specializes in metal that question.

Old April 2nd 05, 09:17 PM

On Sat, 02 Apr 2005 08:49:04 -0500, Bill Putney >
wrote:

>maxpower wrote:
>>
>> It makes a big difference where and how to store these drums/disk on the
>> shelf, they can warp in the box beleive it or not

>Please explain.
>
>Bill Putney
>(To reply by e-mail, replace the last letter of the alphabet in my
>adddress with the letter 'x')

Drums are to be stored flat, not on edge. Rotors to be stored on edge,
not flat. Used to be the boxes were labelled.

That said, chinese metalurgy leaves just a wee bit to be desired - and
it is not out of the ordinary to have drums that are round when cold,
and eccentric when warmed up.
The Canadian made drums and rotors are quite often much better
quality, but it is not unheard of to have bad ones from ANY
manufacturer.
They are finish ground while still "green". In years past, they were
"aged" before final machining/grinding.
Old October 16th 16, 04:09 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.chrysler

2016. Bought rear brake drums from Oreilly. They were warped. Got another set also warped. Absolute garbage. Got a set from Napa. Also warped. Taking them back. These are on a 94 Chevy pickup C1500. Put the old drums back on and they are smooth. China. Never had problems with brake parts from these stores before.A bad run maybe? It is a thorough pain doing this numerous times.