Lifetime / 5 Year alignment plan

Old July 11th 06, 02:16 AM posted to alt.autos.toyota,misc.consumers.frugal-living,rec.autos.tech

Default Lifetime / 5 Year alignment plan

Hi,

I would like to purchase a new set of Yokohama TRZ's for a 2002 Colla S
and have them mounted by a knowledgable shop that offers a lifetime or
5 year alignment plan. Can anybody recommend a shop in the southern
Califronia area (I am about 30 miles south of LA) with good equipement
and caring staff?

Thank you for this help, Steve.

Old July 11th 06, 04:43 PM posted to alt.autos.toyota,misc.consumers.frugal-living,rec.autos.tech
Dave L

"*" > wrote in message

> wrote in article
> om>...
>> Hi,
>>
>> I would like to purchase a new set of Yokohama TRZ's for a 2002 Colla S
>> and have them mounted by a knowledgable shop that offers a lifetime or
>> 5 year alignment plan. Can anybody recommend a shop in the southern
>> Califronia area (I am about 30 miles south of LA) with good equipement
>> and caring staff?
>>
>> Thank you for this help, Steve.
>>

> Basically, you are asking to find a place where you can give the shop a
> crack at selling you "needed" services and parts on several occasions over
> the next five years.
>
> There is nothing "free" in life.
>
> Shops offer these "free" services in order to....
>
> 1.) Make the initial sale....
>
> 2.) Get you to come back on a regular basis where they can find "worn
> parts" and other items not covered by the "lifetime" alignment.

Very true. I used to have the lifetime alignment policy on my old car. Had
to watch them like a hawk, and know EXACTLY what maintanence was done to my
car.

*(They tried to tell me my brake fluid needed changing, and it was done a
month earlier by another shop who accidentally drained the brake fluid
instead of the clutch fluid. So they did both and charged for one.
*Told me I needed to change my automatic transmission fluid - in a 5-speed
MANUAL transmission.
*Claimed I needed to have my rotors turned/replaced, when I just changed
them with OEM rotors the year before at another shop.

These were a few of the major things I caught them on. I questioned them
each time and told them not to touch anything except what I brought the car
in for. Only reason why I went back to them is because I bought my tires
from them with the lifetime alignment policy. Otherwise would have stayed
away. No longer have that car, so I will not be going back to this
Firestone unless there is a real compelling reason such as an emergency.
Maybe it was just this particular location but I've heard some pretty bad
things about them along with other chain shops.

-Dave

Old July 11th 06, 05:45 PM posted to alt.autos.toyota,misc.consumers.frugal-living,rec.autos.tech
C. Massey

> wrote in message
ps.com...
> Hi,
>
> I would like to purchase a new set of Yokohama TRZ's for a 2002 Colla S
> and have them mounted by a knowledgable shop that offers a lifetime or
> 5 year alignment plan. Can anybody recommend a shop in the southern
> Califronia area (I am about 30 miles south of LA) with good equipement
> and caring staff?
>
> Thank you for this help, Steve.

I just noticed that I sent this reply to OP's email instead of the NG. I
will resend it to the group.

Check out NTB if there is one near you. I can't speak for all of them, but
the one near me has a good front end mechanic. They offer a 5 year front end
warranty and it costs around $180 (I believe). I bought the 3 year front end
alignment back in May and just took it in to have it re-checked last Friday
without any charge or hassles.

---
Virus Database (VPS): 0628-2, 07/11/2006
Tested on: 7/11/2006 11:45:11 AM

Old July 12th 06, 06:49 AM posted to alt.autos.toyota,misc.consumers.frugal-living,rec.autos.tech
Don[_1_]

On Tue, 11 Jul 2006 16:45:11 GMT, "C. Massey" >
wrote:

> wrote in message
ups.com...
>> Hi,
>>
>> I would like to purchase a new set of Yokohama TRZ's for a 2002 Colla S
>> and have them mounted by a knowledgable shop that offers a lifetime or
>> 5 year alignment plan. Can anybody recommend a shop in the southern
>> Califronia area (I am about 30 miles south of LA) with good equipement
>> and caring staff?
>>
>> Thank you for this help, Steve.
>>

>I just noticed that I sent this reply to OP's email instead of the NG. I
>will resend it to the group.
>

>Check out NTB if there is one near you. I can't speak for all of them,

Neither can I. But I could show you lots of digital photographs
documenting horror stories in this rea.

> but the one near me has a good front end mechanic.

Very likely he will go to a real shop pretty soon.

Don
www.donsaustomotive.com

Old July 12th 06, 06:50 AM posted to alt.autos.toyota,misc.consumers.frugal-living,rec.autos.tech
Don[_1_]

On 10 Jul 2006 18:16:59 -0700, wrote:

>Hi,
>
>I would like to purchase a new set of Yokohama TRZ's for a 2002 Colla S
>and have them mounted by a knowledgable shop that offers a lifetime or
>5 year alignment plan.

Mutually exclusive. Good shops don't use this kind of sales gimmick.

Don
www.donsautomotive.com