A/C vs climate control. me thinks 1:0

Old May 25th 12, 10:35 AM posted to rec.autos.tech,alt.autos.audi,alt.autos.subaru
AD[_2_]

Default A/C vs climate control. me thinks 1:0

I like the simplicity of A/C setups over climate controls (esp dual
units).

Firstly you get mechanical wheels to adjust air flow and temp
and, secondly, you don't have to guess what happens if it's
21C outside and you have the temp set to 22C.

Does it warm up the air if I shut off A/C switching to vent mode?
I don't want it to.

I don't have to guess in 18-22C outside range with A/C systems:
just turn off a/c and turn the temp all the way to the low setting
vary the fan speed to taste in that 4C/7F range.

Any climate control affictionados care to comment how all the
complexity is supposed to pay off?
Old May 25th 12, 12:29 PM posted to rec.autos.tech,alt.autos.audi,alt.autos.subaru
Vic Smith

On Fri, 25 May 2012 02:35:01 -0700 (PDT), AD > wrote:

>I like the simplicity of A/C setups over climate controls (esp dual
>units).
>
>Firstly you get mechanical wheels to adjust air flow and temp
>and, secondly, you don't have to guess what happens if it's
>21C outside and you have the temp set to 22C.
>
>Does it warm up the air if I shut off A/C switching to vent mode?
>I don't want it to.
>
>I don't have to guess in 18-22C outside range with A/C systems:
>just turn off a/c and turn the temp all the way to the low setting
>vary the fan speed to taste in that 4C/7F range.
>
>Any climate control affictionados care to comment how all the
>complexity is supposed to pay off?

It always "pays off" for those that pay for it. Human nature.
I wouldn't pay for it, because I'm KISS.
Bells and whistles.

--
Vic
Old May 25th 12, 02:15 PM posted to rec.autos.tech,alt.autos.audi,alt.autos.subaru
Bill[_37_]

In article <01e51afa-349a-4b50-a3eb-
>, says...
>
> I like the simplicity of A/C setups over climate controls (esp dual
> units).
>
> Firstly you get mechanical wheels to adjust air flow and temp
> and, secondly, you don't have to guess what happens if it's
> 21C outside and you have the temp set to 22C.
>
> Does it warm up the air if I shut off A/C switching to vent mode?
> I don't want it to.
>
> I don't have to guess in 18-22C outside range with A/C systems:
> just turn off a/c and turn the temp all the way to the low setting
> vary the fan speed to taste in that 4C/7F range.
>
> Any climate control affictionados care to comment how all the
> complexity is supposed to pay off?

Well I notice I don't fiddle with the controls as much with a system
where you just set the temperature in degrees and forget it.

So I suppose that could mean you are paying a bit more attention to your
driving - a tad more safety.

Although for myself that does not matter because I only fiddle with
controls in the car when it is safe to do so (it is safe to take my eyes
away from the road for a moment).

I know inexperienced drivers will take their eyes off the road for
several seconds (rather than just one second) and a LOT of stuff can
happen in those several seconds if you are going fast.

Then it is common for one person to prefer a cooler or warmer
temperature than another. So I suppose a dual temperature system could
make for a more pleasant trip in some cases.
Old May 25th 12, 03:38 PM posted to rec.autos.tech,alt.autos.audi,alt.autos.subaru
hls

"Bill" > wrote in message
t...
> So I suppose a dual temperature system could
> make for a more pleasant trip in some cases.

Pleasant enough when they work correctly, but being more
complicated, they are more prone to failure and more expensive
to work on.

Our Avalon has this system, it is pleasant, and we have never
had a problem with it BUT our previous Buick was a PITA.

Old May 25th 12, 04:05 PM posted to rec.autos.tech,alt.autos.audi,alt.autos.subaru
AMuzi

AD wrote:
> I like the simplicity of A/C setups over climate controls (esp dual
> units).
>
> Firstly you get mechanical wheels to adjust air flow and temp
> and, secondly, you don't have to guess what happens if it's
> 21C outside and you have the temp set to 22C.
>
> Does it warm up the air if I shut off A/C switching to vent mode?
> I don't want it to.
>
> I don't have to guess in 18-22C outside range with A/C systems:
> just turn off a/c and turn the temp all the way to the low setting
> vary the fan speed to taste in that 4C/7F range.
>
> Any climate control affictionados care to comment how all the
> complexity is supposed to pay off?

Never had A/C of any description, don't want it. All my cars
have wing windows and mechanical footwell vents including
the convertible. meh.

Girlfriend loves her electronic and complex system.

Suit yourself; Choice is good.

--
Andrew Muzi
<www.yellowjersey.org/>
Old May 25th 12, 04:27 PM posted to rec.autos.tech,alt.autos.audi,alt.autos.subaru
jim beam[_4_]

On 05/25/2012 08:05 AM, AMuzi wrote:
> AD wrote:
>> I like the simplicity of A/C setups over climate controls (esp dual
>> units).
>>
>> Firstly you get mechanical wheels to adjust air flow and temp
>> and, secondly, you don't have to guess what happens if it's
>> 21C outside and you have the temp set to 22C.
>>
>> Does it warm up the air if I shut off A/C switching to vent mode?
>> I don't want it to.
>>
>> I don't have to guess in 18-22C outside range with A/C systems:
>> just turn off a/c and turn the temp all the way to the low setting
>> vary the fan speed to taste in that 4C/7F range.
>>
>> Any climate control affictionados care to comment how all the
>> complexity is supposed to pay off?

> Never had A/C of any description, don't want it. All my cars have wing
> windows and mechanical footwell vents including the convertible. meh.
>
> Girlfriend loves her electronic and complex system.
>
> Suit yourself; Choice is good.

i'm with you on that. i once drove through the mojave desert at noon to
las vegas in july. no a/c, open windows.

don't get me wrong, it was good and toasty, and you had to drink a lot,
but that's what summer and deserts are all about. girlie bleated and
complained the whole freakin' way though. she never would have made it
west in a conestoga wagon.

--
nomina rutrum rutrum
Old May 25th 12, 08:30 PM posted to rec.autos.tech,alt.autos.audi,alt.autos.subaru
N8N

On May 25, 5:35*am, AD > wrote:
> I like the simplicity of A/C setups over climate controls (esp dual
> units).
>
> Firstly you get mechanical wheels to adjust air flow and temp
> and, secondly, you don't have to guess what happens if it's
> 21C outside and you have the temp set to 22C.
>
> Does it warm up the air if I shut off A/C switching to vent mode?
> I don't want it to.
>
> I don't have to guess in 18-22C outside range with A/C systems:
> just turn off a/c and turn the temp all the way to the low setting
> vary the fan speed to taste in that 4C/7F range.
>
> Any climate control affictionados care to comment how all the
> complexity is supposed to pay off?

Meh, I always thought that climate control was something of a
frivolous gimmick until one day I realized that I was always
comfortable in my old 944, and hadn't touched the HVAC controls in
months. As opposed to every other car I've had where it seems like
I'm always fiddling with them.

Something else that car had that I really liked and wished every car
had was the heated outside mirrors. Worth their weight in gold in the
wintertime.

nate
Old May 25th 12, 11:42 PM posted to rec.autos.tech,alt.autos.audi,alt.autos.subaru
MG

"N8N" > wrote in message
> On May 25, 5:35 am, AD > wrote:
>> I like the simplicity of A/C setups over climate controls (esp dual
>> units).
>>
>> Firstly you get mechanical wheels to adjust air flow and temp
>> and, secondly, you don't have to guess what happens if it's
>> 21C outside and you have the temp set to 22C.
>>
>> Does it warm up the air if I shut off A/C switching to vent mode?
>> I don't want it to.
>>
>> I don't have to guess in 18-22C outside range with A/C systems:
>> just turn off a/c and turn the temp all the way to the low setting
>> vary the fan speed to taste in that 4C/7F range.
>>
>> Any climate control affictionados care to comment how all the
>> complexity is supposed to pay off?

> Meh, I always thought that climate control was something of a
> frivolous gimmick until one day I realized that I was always
> comfortable in my old 944, and hadn't touched the HVAC controls in
> months. As opposed to every other car I've had where it seems like
> I'm always fiddling with them.
>
> Something else that car had that I really liked and wished every car
> had was the heated outside mirrors. Worth their weight in gold in the
> wintertime.
>
> nate

Climate control worked well in my 2002 Odyssey. It sucks in my 2007 VW.
I'm a split vote.

Old May 26th 12, 02:58 AM posted to rec.autos.tech
gregz

jim beam > wrote:
> On 05/25/2012 08:05 AM, AMuzi wrote:
>> AD wrote:
>>> I like the simplicity of A/C setups over climate controls (esp dual
>>> units).
>>>
>>> Firstly you get mechanical wheels to adjust air flow and temp
>>> and, secondly, you don't have to guess what happens if it's
>>> 21C outside and you have the temp set to 22C.
>>>
>>> Does it warm up the air if I shut off A/C switching to vent mode?
>>> I don't want it to.
>>>
>>> I don't have to guess in 18-22C outside range with A/C systems:
>>> just turn off a/c and turn the temp all the way to the low setting
>>> vary the fan speed to taste in that 4C/7F range.
>>>
>>> Any climate control affictionados care to comment how all the
>>> complexity is supposed to pay off?

>> Never had A/C of any description, don't want it. All my cars have wing
>> windows and mechanical footwell vents including the convertible. meh.
>>
>> Girlfriend loves her electronic and complex system.
>>
>> Suit yourself; Choice is good.
>>

> i'm with you on that. i once drove through the mojave desert at noon to
> las vegas in july. no a/c, open windows.
>
> don't get me wrong, it was good and toasty, and you had to drink a lot,
> but that's what summer and deserts are all about. girlie bleated and
> complained the whole freakin' way though. she never would have made it
> west in a conestoga wagon.

It's usually better to partially open the windows. It's just hitting you
with more hot air. Been through that in a 74 1/2 mustang, no air.

Greg
Old May 26th 12, 03:01 AM posted to rec.autos.tech
gregz

gregz > wrote:
> jim beam > wrote:

>>> Never had A/C of any description, don't want it. All my cars have wing
>>> windows and mechanical footwell vents including the convertible. meh.
>>>
>>> Girlfriend loves her electronic and complex system.
>>>
>>> Suit yourself; Choice is good.
>>>

>> i'm with you on that. i once drove through the mojave desert at noon to
>> las vegas in july. no a/c, open windows.
>>
>> don't get me wrong, it was good and toasty, and you had to drink a lot,
>> but that's what summer and deserts are all about. girlie bleated and
>> complained the whole freakin' way though. she never would have made it
>> west in a conestoga wagon.
>>

> It's usually better to partially open the windows. It's just hitting you
> with more hot air. Been through that in a 74 1/2 mustang, no air.
>
> Greg

64 1/2

Greg

climate control throb Alfa Romeo 1 January 16th 07 08:30 PM
climate control Pedro BMW 0 August 28th 06 12:56 AM
Climate control 147 DrLargePants Alfa Romeo 0 July 5th 06 01:49 PM
Climate Control jen Audi 1 June 28th 06 07:50 PM
'95 EB climate control [email protected] Ford Explorer 1 February 1st 05 02:13 AM