lmfao good explaination jafart bwhahaha

Old May 9th 05, 11:34 PM
 k¹mñ{ @hotmail.com

Default lmfao good explaination jafart bwhahaha

On Mon, 9 May 2005 09:58:19 -0400, "japhar81" >
wrote:

>> Obviously I understand the D is for Dual (overhead cam), whereas the S
>> is Single. Is there an upgrade from the SOHC to DOHC without
>> replacing the entire engine? This isn't something I'm considering,
>> I'm just the curious type. Feel free to simply point me to a
>> website-for-dummies.
>>

>In a SOC engine, one cam drives the inlet and exhaust valves. In a DOC one
>cam runs the inlet, and one cam runs the exhaust side. Having two cams gives
>you more flexability and control over the opening/closing of the various
>valves, thus, more power and/or better gas milage.

lmfao
exactly how does it give you more flexability and control
lmfao
what is flexability??

bwhahahahga

FAIL first year apprentice

hurc ast

phone telus
do it now

Old May 10th 05, 05:31 PM
Jason

< k¹mñ{ @hotmail.com> wrote in message
> On Mon, 9 May 2005 09:58:19 -0400, "japhar81" >
> wrote:
>
> >> Obviously I understand the D is for Dual (overhead cam), whereas the S
> >> is Single. Is there an upgrade from the SOHC to DOHC without
> >> replacing the entire engine? This isn't something I'm considering,
> >> I'm just the curious type. Feel free to simply point me to a
> >> website-for-dummies.
> >>

> >In a SOC engine, one cam drives the inlet and exhaust valves. In a DOC

one
> >cam runs the inlet, and one cam runs the exhaust side. Having two cams

gives
> >you more flexability and control over the opening/closing of the various
> >valves, thus, more power and/or better gas milage.

> lmfao
> exactly how does it give you more flexability and control
> lmfao
> what is flexability??

I'd go out on a limb here, but using adjustable cam gears on a 4V would
allow you
to tune the intake and exhaust valve timing independently, especially with
aftermarket cams where the powerband is higher in the RPMs

Jason

Old May 10th 05, 08:01 PM

> I'd go out on a limb here, but using adjustable cam gears on a 4V

would
> allow you
> to tune the intake and exhaust valve timing independently, especially

with
> aftermarket cams where the powerband is higher in the RPMs

The original reason for dohc (e.g., the classic Jaguar XKE six) was
that it allowed opposed valves. Opposed valves (e.g., Chrysler hemis)
flow better than side-by-side (wedge) valves or splayed (Rat, Lima, or
Cleveland) valves. A sohc can be rigged up for opposed valves (e.g.,
the Mercedes 3-valve sohc heads), but the long rockers required for
this design negate a large part of the ohc advantage over the
cam-in-block: lower valvetrain weight.

In a 4-valve head, opposed valves are not optional, they're required.
That's why 4-valve heads are always (or nearly always) dohc.

As far as flexibility, you're right that a variable valve timing setup
that only advances or retards the cam would have greater flexibility
with a dohc setup. But there are sohc vvt setups, too. Some regulate
valve timing by varying the oil pressure to the lifters; some use two
rockers following different cam lobes, also hydraulically actuated.
These setups also allow different valve events on the exhaust side than
on the intake side.

Regardless of the valvetrain, you can always grind one cam lobe for the
exhaust and one for the intake. These are called "dual pattern" cams
and are very common in the aftermarket for pushrod V8's. The ability
to grind a different lobe for the exhaust than for the intake is
unaffected by the location or number of the cams.

180 Out

Old May 10th 05, 11:46 PM
 k¹mñ{ @hotmail.com

On Tue, 10 May 2005 12:31:38 -0400, "Jason" > wrote:

>< k¹mñ{ @hotmail.com> wrote in message
.. .

>> >In a SOC engine, one cam drives the inlet and exhaust valves. In a DOC

>one
>> >cam runs the inlet, and one cam runs the exhaust side. Having two cams

>gives
>> >you more flexability and control over the opening/closing of the various
>> >valves, thus, more power and/or better gas milage.

>> lmfao
>> exactly how does it give you more flexability and control
>> lmfao
>> what is flexability??

>I'd go out on a limb here, but using adjustable cam gears on a 4V would
>allow you
>to tune the intake and exhaust valve timing independently, especially with
>aftermarket cams where the powerband is higher in the RPMs
>
>Jason

lmfao
would throw a MIL lite on pretty fast
limp mode here we go
the sender is usually camshaft
lmfao

hurc ast

Good morning or good evening depending upon your location. I want to ask you the most important question of your life. Your joy or sorrow for all eternity depends upon your answer. The question is: Are you saved? It is not a question of how good [email protected] BMW 0 April 21st 05 10:01 PM
cooling site tim VW air cooled 13 January 27th 05 04:33 AM
Good Good Deals! Brendan Carpenter Dodge 0 April 20th 04 04:05 AM