BMW

Old March 12th 08, 08:19 PM posted to alt.autos.bmw

Default BMW

Any experience with the 2008 530i twin turbo in-line six?

http://www.usenet.com
Old March 13th 08, 12:43 AM posted to alt.autos.bmw
Pete[_10_]

> wrote
> Any experience with the 2008 530i twin turbo in-line six?

That would be a 535i.

Pete

Old March 13th 08, 12:38 PM posted to alt.autos.bmw
DCA

Pete wrote:

> > wrote
>> Any experience with the 2008 530i twin turbo in-line six?

> That would be a 535i.
>
> Pete

Or 535d
Old March 13th 08, 08:25 PM posted to alt.autos.bmw

How do you like it? How is the acceleration/ handling? Any turbo-lag? How
bad/good is the iDrive? I have a 2003 530i 5 speed and I am considering an
upgrade to the 2008 535i or perhaps the 550i. Thanks in advance for any
insights.

http://www.usenet.com
Old March 13th 08, 09:10 PM posted to alt.autos.bmw

On Thu, 13 Mar 2008 20:25:10 GMT, wrote:

>How do you like it? How is the acceleration/ handling? Any turbo-lag? How
>bad/good is the iDrive? I have a 2003 530i 5 speed and I am considering an
>upgrade to the 2008 535i or perhaps the 550i. Thanks in advance for any
>insights.

http://www.usenet.com

The engine is great with no lag however the same engine and Trans in the 730d
(single turbo) feels exactly the same (I have the 730d and drive the 535d often)
but the 535 has about another 35HP over the 730d.

The iDrive takes some getting used to as do other things but the computer system
will remember how you drive the car and will eventually it will feel sluggish
(auto) if you regularly drive slow around town like starting off in 2nd and a
"hole" when trying to pull away smartly.

Either get your dealer to reset the ecu or email me and I'll tell you how to do
it. If enough people want to know I'll post it here but it's only useful for
2001 >> 5, 6 & 7 series.

--

Sir Hugh of Bognor

Intelligence is not knowing the answer but knowing where and how to find it!

Hugh Gundersen

Bognor Regis, W.Sussex, England, UK
Old March 14th 08, 05:53 AM posted to alt.autos.bmw
V Leher

wrote:
> How do you like it?

I Love it...it is the best car i have driven so far....and i have had zero problems so far. *knock on wood*. Even in cold winters
(of -30 F), it has always
started up and accelerated very well the first time.
How is the acceleration/ handling?
Acceleration much more than i have ever needed. It is very fast though i have really floored it only a couple of times. I have a
manual transmission and i am not
very sure as to how the auto transmission is, but it should not be that different. All BMWs that i have had have always handled very
well.

I ran with all season tires in Minnesota snow all winter, and it never slipped (of course, i drive safe). The manual transmission
has a little bit to do with it, but it
handles well for "big" car (compared to 3-series).

Any turbo-lag?
No noticeable lags at all......couple of times when accelerating in the ramps, i *think* i might have sensed a lag, but no more than
half a second. Unless
you drag race, it should not be a problem.

How bad/good is the iDrive?
I like the iDrive quite well...IMO, there probably is NO easier way to put all that options in a better arrangement to be controlled by
a single button/dial. I like the single controller as it allows me to do my settings while driving with out taking the eyes off the
road.
It took me less than an hour to learn it inside out and all the various available options. But, then i am software engineer
who deals with (bad/good) GUI driven applications all day long, so it could be because of that. With the right combination of
voice command
and the controller you can pretty much reach all options within 2-3 click and twists.

I have a 2003 530i 5 speed and I am considering an
> upgrade to the 2008 535i or perhaps the 550i. Thanks in advance for any
> insights.

The major differences between the two (535 vs 550) is the engine and the horse power. I am personally biased towards inline engines,
but if you
don't care much about how your engine cylinders are aligned, 550 will get you 60 hp more. head over to
http://forums.e60.net/index.php?showforum=2
there are quite a bit of threads which compares the two.

Old March 14th 08, 09:22 AM posted to alt.autos.bmw
DCA

wrote:
> How do you like it? How is the acceleration/ handling? Any turbo-lag? How
> bad/good is the iDrive? I have a 2003 530i 5 speed and I am considering an
> upgrade to the 2008 535i or perhaps the 550i. Thanks in advance for any
> insights.

http://www.usenet.com

You REALLY need to test drive one. Everyone's idea of 'great' is
different to another's.
Hiring one for a week is a sensible investment when you're talking about
shelling out a great deal of money and the repercussions of getting it
wrong are somewhat expensive!