BMW 545 vs Acura RL

Old December 1st 04, 05:44 AM
Matt O'Toole

dizzy wrote:

> On Tue, 30 Nov 2004 15:48:27 -0500, "Matt O'Toole" >
> wrote:
>
>> I disagree on both points. First, as a skier, I've been driving
>> BMWs in the snow for years, w/o any problems. I do not see how an
>> Acura RL would be superior in this respect. A BMW is as superior as
>> anyone needs. I'm sure the northerners/midwesterners on this
>> newsgroup would agree.

> What, are you cracked? You "do not see" how an AWD car can be
> superior for driving in snow, compared to a RWD car?

Yeah it's better, but how much better do you need? I've never had trouble
getting anywhere in my BMWs, on roads that were open to the public. The only
problem is deep snow, where a high clearance vehicle is required, and the Acura
would do you no good there either.

Gee, how did people do it before 4WD, traction-controlled, ABS'ed modern
wonders?

Matt O.

Old December 1st 04, 09:27 PM
Fred W

Matt O'Toole wrote:
> dizzy wrote:
>

>>On Tue, 30 Nov 2004 15:48:27 -0500, "Matt O'Toole" >
>>wrote:
>>

>>>I disagree on both points. First, as a skier, I've been driving
>>>BMWs in the snow for years, w/o any problems. I do not see how an
>>>Acura RL would be superior in this respect. A BMW is as superior as
>>>anyone needs. I'm sure the northerners/midwesterners on this
>>>newsgroup would agree.

>>What, are you cracked? You "do not see" how an AWD car can be
>>superior for driving in snow, compared to a RWD car?

> Yeah it's better, but how much better do you need? I've never had trouble
> getting anywhere in my BMWs, on roads that were open to the public. The only
> problem is deep snow, where a high clearance vehicle is required, and the Acura
> would do you no good there either.
>
> Gee, how did people do it before 4WD, traction-controlled, ABS'ed modern
> wonders?
>
> Matt O.

I agree. I drive in snow a lot and I find the biggest problem (and
fear) has nothing to do with being able to climb the next snowy hill or
me sliding off the road.

It's all the friggen yahoos out there busting along at 65 mph or more in
their 4wd trucks, SUVs and Quattro cars, just becaus ethat is the speed
limit. They seem not to be able to under stand that they only have the
exact same 4 wheel braking that I have.

That and the big semi-trailers. I can't believe how fast those guys
drive in poor weather conditions. How fast do you suppose they can haul
those things down from 65 mph when there is a nice coating of snow on
the ground?

-Fred W
Old December 2nd 04, 01:34 AM
Todd Zuercher

Fred W wrote:
> Matt O'Toole wrote:
>
> That and the big semi-trailers. I can't believe how fast those guys
> drive in poor weather conditions. How fast do you suppose they can haul
> those things down from 65 mph when there is a nice coating of snow on
> the ground?
>
> -Fred W

Not a whole lot slower than they can in good conditions (wich isn't
realy fast to start with). Anything other than pure ice doesn't realy
make a whole lot of difference to those 40 ton monsters.

Todd Zuercher

Old December 3rd 04, 01:52 AM
dizzy

On Wed, 1 Dec 2004 00:44:32 -0500, "Matt O'Toole" >
wrote:

>dizzy wrote:
>
>> On Tue, 30 Nov 2004 15:48:27 -0500, "Matt O'Toole" >
>> wrote:
>>
>>> I disagree on both points. First, as a skier, I've been driving
>>> BMWs in the snow for years, w/o any problems. I do not see how an
>>> Acura RL would be superior in this respect. A BMW is as superior as
>>> anyone needs. I'm sure the northerners/midwesterners on this
>>> newsgroup would agree.

>> What, are you cracked? You "do not see" how an AWD car can be
>> superior for driving in snow, compared to a RWD car?

>Yeah it's better, but how much better do you need?

Better-enough so that I don't need seperate sets of summer and Winter
tires, maybe?

>I've never had trouble
>getting anywhere in my BMWs, on roads that were open to the public. The only
>problem is deep snow, where a high clearance vehicle is required, and the Acura
>would do you no good there either.

The ability to get around doesn't mean that performance couldn't be
considerably improved, even without added ground clearance (i.e. with
AWD).

>Gee, how did people do it before 4WD, traction-controlled, ABS'ed modern
>wonders?

I recall needing to be pushed out of a ditch, on a couple occasions.
8)

Old December 3rd 04, 03:16 PM
Fred W

dizzy wrote:

>>>What, are you cracked? You "do not see" how an AWD car can be
>>>superior for driving in snow, compared to a RWD car?

>>Yeah it's better, but how much better do you need?

> Better-enough so that I don't need seperate sets of summer and Winter
> tires, maybe?

That depends entirely on where you live and if you really want the best
safety and handling in snow-covered road conditions or not. If you do,
then snow tires are the right first choice. AWD with snow tires is even
better. AWD without snow tires is a poor choice because while the AWD
helps you get going it doesn't do anything about helping you to stop.

>>Gee, how did people do it before 4WD, traction-controlled, ABS'ed modern
>>wonders?

> I recall needing to be pushed out of a ditch, on a couple occasions.
> 8)

Me too, but that was usually after I had drifted my little MGB (fitted
with tire chains no less) off into a big snow bank just for fun. The
fun part about that little car was you could just get out and pick it up
by the bumper and yank it back out on the road!! I used to run out
during and immediately after a good NE snowstorm, before the snowplows
got a chance to ruin things. What fun...

-Fred W
Old December 3rd 04, 03:34 PM
fbloogyudsr

"Fred W" > wrote
> dizzy wrote:
>> Better-enough so that I don't need seperate sets of summer and Winter
>> tires, maybe?

> That depends entirely on where you live and if you really want the best
> safety and handling in snow-covered road conditions or not. If you do,
> then snow tires are the right first choice. AWD with snow tires is even
> better. AWD without snow tires is a poor choice because while the AWD
> helps you get going it doesn't do anything about helping you to stop.

As I've said in other threads; the difference between all-season tires
and snow tires (for snow/ice traction/performance) is about the same
difference between all-seasons and performance (summer) tires. YMMV
depending upon the actual tire, but if you're like me and spend at least
50 days a year on snow, you *need* to have snow tires.

>>>Gee, how did people do it before 4WD, traction-controlled, ABS'ed modern
>>>wonders?

>> I recall needing to be pushed out of a ditch, on a couple occasions.
>> 8)

Put chains on all fours on our jeep.

Floyd
Old December 3rd 04, 04:32 PM
Ramone Cila

"dizzy" > wrote in message

> I recall needing to be pushed out of a ditch, on a couple occasions.
> 8)

While I agree with your comments that AWD adds some better level of
capability (though I still wouldn't choose an Acura over a 5'er just because
it has AWD): then, as now, landing in ditches is about exceeding the
capabilities of the car for the given conditions....and that is driver
error.

But I do resemble that!...as I remember being yanked out of ditches too :^)