Removing Door Lock Tumblers

Old June 8th 07, 01:51 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.jeep+willys

Default Removing Door Lock Tumblers

I just bought a 1990 Wrangler without a working door key. I don't
have the key codes so I need to have the locks re-keyed which is
pretty pricey. I've heard I may be able to take out the tumblers
(plugs) and file down the tumbler pins enough to have a working lock/
key.

I have the cylinders out, but can't figure out how to get the tumbler
separated from the core? Anybody done this?

Thanks in advance.

Jack

Old June 8th 07, 02:17 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.jeep+willys
Jeff Strickland

> wrote in message
oups.com...
>I just bought a 1990 Wrangler without a working door key. I don't
> have the key codes so I need to have the locks re-keyed which is
> pretty pricey. I've heard I may be able to take out the tumblers
> (plugs) and file down the tumbler pins enough to have a working lock/
> key.
>
> I have the cylinders out, but can't figure out how to get the tumbler
> separated from the core? Anybody done this?
>
> Thanks in advance.

It is customary that one has the key to get the lock apart.

Old June 8th 07, 02:37 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.jeep+willys
mark diegel

> wrote in message
oups.com...
>I just bought a 1990 Wrangler without a working door key. I don't
> have the key codes so I need to have the locks re-keyed which is
> pretty pricey. I've heard I may be able to take out the tumblers
> (plugs) and file down the tumbler pins enough to have a working lock/
> key.
>
> I have the cylinders out, but can't figure out how to get the tumbler
> separated from the core? Anybody done this?
>
> Thanks in advance.
>
> Jack

Jeep dealer cut two keys for $ 4.00, took VIN off registration.

Mark

Old June 8th 07, 02:51 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.jeep+willys

On Jun 7, 9:37 pm, "mark diegel" > wrote:
> > wrote in message
>
> oups.com...
>
> >I just bought a 1990 Wrangler without a working door key. I don't
> > have the key codes so I need to have the locks re-keyed which is
> > pretty pricey. I've heard I may be able to take out the tumblers
> > (plugs) and file down the tumbler pins enough to have a working lock/
> > key.

> > I have the cylinders out, but can't figure out how to get the tumbler
> > separated from the core? Anybody done this?

> > Thanks in advance.

> > Jack

> Jeep dealer cut two keys for $ 4.00, took VIN off registration.
>
> Mark

Thanks. I tried the dealer... the VIN has had the ignition key code
associated with it, but not door keys. They said the Jeep must have
been re-keyed at some point, which explains why the key that came with
it doesn't work I guess and why the key codes I found in the original
sales documentation probably won't work according to the dealer.

The local locksmith wants something like $40/lock to re-key. I'm
hoping I can do something myself.

Jack

Old June 8th 07, 01:20 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.jeep+willys
Lee Ayrton

On Thu, 7 Jun 2007, wrote:

> I just bought a 1990 Wrangler without a working door key. I don't
> have the key codes so I need to have the locks re-keyed which is
> pretty pricey. I've heard I may be able to take out the tumblers
> (plugs) and file down the tumbler pins enough to have a working lock/
> key.
>
> I have the cylinders out, but can't figure out how to get the tumbler
> separated from the core? Anybody done this?

This might help you:

http://www.drivewerks.com/tech/mult_lock_rekey.htm
http://www.howstuffworks.com/lock-picking4.htm

IANALockSmith. From the articles rekeying seems to be done by swapping
the pins around, not by filing.

Perhaps you can find a working set of locks with keys at the local
junkyard?

--
"We began to realize, as we plowed on with the destruction of New Jersey,
that the extent of our American lunatic fringe had been underestimated."

Old June 8th 07, 04:27 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.jeep+willys

Unless you have a hardtop, I wouldn't bother fixing the locks. A
friend had his windows sliced open for a gym bag of sweaty clothes.
It's not worth it.

CTM

Old June 8th 07, 04:31 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.jeep+willys
Jon[_4_]

On Jun 8, 5:20 am, Lee Ayrton > wrote:
> On Thu, 7 Jun 2007, wrote:
> > I just bought a 1990 Wrangler without a working door key. I don't
> > have the key codes so I need to have the locks re-keyed which is
> > pretty pricey. I've heard I may be able to take out the tumblers
> > (plugs) and file down the tumbler pins enough to have a working lock/
> > key.

> > I have the cylinders out, but can't figure out how to get the tumbler
> > separated from the core? Anybody done this?

> This might help you:
>
> http://www.drivewerks.com/tech/mult_...k-picking4.htm
>
> IANALockSmith. From the articles rekeying seems to be done by swapping
> the pins around, not by filing.
>
> Perhaps you can find a working set of locks with keys at the local
> junkyard?
>
> --
> "We began to realize, as we plowed on with the destruction of New Jersey,
> that the extent of our American lunatic fringe had been underestimated."
> Orson Wells on the reaction to the _War Of The Worlds_ broadcast.

That's right, you're supposed to swap pins around to get the right
heights in the right locations....the down and dirty file job means
that the pins no longer extend to a good "locking" height. Nothing I
haven't done in a pinch, sometimes it means you can turn the lock with
a strong twist of a screwdriver. I can't find a 1990-specific
schematic, but previous experience has been to undo the retaining nut
on the backside and use a mechanic's/dental pick to actuate the pins
individually while applying outward pressure. Time consuming...so
there's another question:

Assuming the doors are indeed 1990 vintage, what changed between 1990
and 1991?

I know Jeep swapped vendors a few times over the years, but I don't
see why most major vendors don't show cylinder kits for 1990-down.

Old June 8th 07, 04:37 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.jeep+willys
Jon[_4_]

On Jun 8, 8:31 am, Jon > wrote:
> On Jun 8, 5:20 am, Lee Ayrton > wrote:
>

> > On Thu, 7 Jun 2007, wrote:
> > > I just bought a 1990 Wrangler without a working door key. I don't
> > > have the key codes so I need to have the locks re-keyed which is
> > > pretty pricey. I've heard I may be able to take out the tumblers
> > > (plugs) and file down the tumbler pins enough to have a working lock/
> > > key.

> > > I have the cylinders out, but can't figure out how to get the tumbler
> > > separated from the core? Anybody done this?

> > This might help you:

> >http://www.drivewerks.com/tech/mult_...//www.howstuff...

> > IANALockSmith. From the articles rekeying seems to be done by swapping
> > the pins around, not by filing.

> > Perhaps you can find a working set of locks with keys at the local
> > junkyard?

> > --
> > "We began to realize, as we plowed on with the destruction of New Jersey,
> > that the extent of our American lunatic fringe had been underestimated."
> > Orson Wells on the reaction to the _War Of The Worlds_ broadcast.

> That's right, you're supposed to swap pins around to get the right
> heights in the right locations....the down and dirty file job means
> that the pins no longer extend to a good "locking" height. Nothing I
> haven't done in a pinch, sometimes it means you can turn the lock with
> a strong twist of a screwdriver. I can't find a 1990-specific
> schematic, but previous experience has been to undo the retaining nut
> on the backside and use a mechanic's/dental pick to actuate the pins
> individually while applying outward pressure. Time consuming...so
> there's another question:
>
> Assuming the doors are indeed 1990 vintage, what changed between 1990
> and 1991?
>
> I know Jeep swapped vendors a few times over the years, but I don't
> see why most major vendors don't show cylinder kits for 1990-down.- Hide quoted text -

Oops, my point was that you'll end up filing if you don't have the
right size pins in your locks either way. The other point was that
91+ lock kits go for a whole 20 clams...

Old June 8th 07, 04:52 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.jeep+willys
Mike Romain

Jon wrote:
> On Jun 8, 8:31 am, Jon > wrote:

>>> This might help you:
>>> http://www.drivewerks.com/tech/mult_...//www.howstuff...
>>> IANALockSmith. From the articles rekeying seems to be done by swapping
>>> the pins around, not by filing.
>>> Perhaps you can find a working set of locks with keys at the local
>>> junkyard?
>>> --
>>> "We began to realize, as we plowed on with the destruction of New Jersey,
>>> that the extent of our American lunatic fringe had been underestimated."
>>> Orson Wells on the reaction to the _War Of The Worlds_ broadcast.

>> That's right, you're supposed to swap pins around to get the right
>> heights in the right locations....the down and dirty file job means
>> that the pins no longer extend to a good "locking" height. Nothing I
>> haven't done in a pinch, sometimes it means you can turn the lock with
>> a strong twist of a screwdriver. I can't find a 1990-specific
>> schematic, but previous experience has been to undo the retaining nut
>> on the backside and use a mechanic's/dental pick to actuate the pins
>> individually while applying outward pressure. Time consuming...so
>> there's another question:
>>
>> Assuming the doors are indeed 1990 vintage, what changed between 1990
>> and 1991?
>>
>> I know Jeep swapped vendors a few times over the years, but I don't
>> see why most major vendors don't show cylinder kits for 1990-down.- Hide quoted text -

> Oops, my point was that you'll end up filing if you don't have the
> right size pins in your locks either way. The other point was that
> 91+ lock kits go for a whole 20 clams...

There are two different kinds of handles and locks on CJ/YJ doors I
don't know what the cut off date is for them.

Some have a thumb button latch with a belt loop remover post on the door
frame in a bracket and others have paddle handles that latch on the door
frame itself.

I have a set of both but don't know what years they come from.

I have changed 'keys' by just swapping one 'pin' around so I had to file
one new step in the key. I don't normally have to file the 'pins'.

Mike
88 Cherokee 235 BFG AT's - Gone to the rust pile...
Old June 8th 07, 04:56 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.jeep+willys
ULB

On Jun 8, 8:27 am, " >
wrote:
> Unless you have a hardtop, I wouldn't bother fixing the locks. A
> friend had his windows sliced open for a gym bag of sweaty clothes.
> It's not worth it.

I agree. I never lock my jeep. I figure they could either A cut the
soft top or windows, or B just unzip the rear window and jump on in.