GTI Vr6 Front Wheel Bearing?

Old December 9th 04, 02:17 AM
S Timinski

Default GTI Vr6 Front Wheel Bearing?

Have a 95 GTI VR6 with about 130K - wheel bearings were replaced about 70K.
When driving under power in gear with clutch in no noise when driving
straight. Turn a bit to the right hear a grinding noise - pretty faint but
its there. Turn to the left - no noise whatsoever. No gas just car in gear
with clutch let out you hear it even when going straight. Wheel bearing or
something else. Which side most likely left of right? Tried putting car on
shop jack and tried pressing at 3'oclock and 9 o'clock no movement or
jiggling at wheel only at steering rack - but the tie rods are tight (no
movement at either joint) - both sides. Spun wheel no noise or grinding
except for the discs/pads slightly catching. Any clues?

Old December 9th 04, 02:45 AM
Woodchuck

It takes a good ear and luck to hear which is going bad. My suggestion is
wait until it gets louder. May take until next week or 6 months from now.

. com...

Old December 9th 04, 02:45 AM
Woodchuck

It takes a good ear and luck to hear which is going bad. My suggestion is
wait until it gets louder. May take until next week or 6 months from now.

. com...

Old December 9th 04, 03:28 AM
Biz

Couldn't it also be a CV joint? Or dont they use those on teh newer GTi's?

Old December 9th 04, 03:28 AM
Biz

Old December 9th 04, 03:34 AM
S Timinski

Yes, but the noise is a little different when it goes out. Had one fail at
about 90K and it was more like a clunking instead or a grrrr noise. Unless
the inner is different than the outer joint.

Will keep driving it for another week to see if it gets any worse. Read
somewhere that if they go they go pretty quickly and I don't want to make
things worse.

Old December 9th 04, 03:34 AM
S Timinski

Old December 9th 04, 12:06 PM
Woodchuck

cv's usually make a clicking type noise, bearing hum.

Old December 9th 04, 12:06 PM
Woodchuck

Old December 10th 04, 04:34 PM
Frank

Woodchuck wrote:
> It takes a good ear and luck to hear which is going bad. My

suggestion is
> wait until it gets louder. May take until next week or 6 months from

now.

> "S Timinski" > wrote in message
> . com...
> > Have a 95 GTI VR6 with about 130K - wheel bearings were replaced

about
> > 70K. When driving under power in gear with clutch in no noise when

driving
> > straight. Turn a bit to the right hear a grinding noise - pretty

faint
> > but its there. Turn to the left - no noise whatsoever. No gas

just car
> > in gear with clutch let out you hear it even when going straight.

Wheel
> > bearing or something else. Which side most likely left of right?

Tried
> > putting car on shop jack and tried pressing at 3'oclock and 9

o'clock no
> > movement or jiggling at wheel only at steering rack - but the tie

rods are
> > tight (no movement at either joint) - both sides. Spun wheel no

noise or
> > grinding except for the discs/pads slightly catching. Any clues?

I had a front wheel bearing go bad on a 1995 GTI VR6. It made noise for
several months. The local dealer wouldn't do anything when I first had
them try (since they couldn't tell what it was for sure, said maybe
tires). It got louder and louder, and after putting snows on was still
there (it was pretty clear by then it wasn't tires). Even as bad as it
got before being replaced it was not possible (if I recall correctly)
to feel any rocking motion in the wheel when checking it by hand (off
the ground). That was at about 90k miles, one side only.

Frank