351C 4V engine markings

Old March 11th 08, 12:15 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.ford.mustang
goodnigh

Default 351C 4V engine markings

My 351C 4V has a "square" block and the head is stamped "4 dot".
What is the difference between the "4" stamp and "4 dot"?
Also the "D" block vs. "square" block.

mike

Old March 14th 08, 01:46 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.ford.mustang
Lazimodo

The 4 dots indicate the more robust 4 bolt main shaft in the
Cleveland engine, I do believe...From a conversation I heard
in a shop once, so I may be mistaken.

Actually, I thought I was mistaken once, but I was in
error...lol

Old March 15th 08, 10:40 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.ford.mustang
goodnigh

All Clevelands were set up for four bolt mains although the majority
were not drilled and tapped. Heard that somewhere.
It really does not matter unless I do something crazy like
put on a charger or blower Already talking about installing a ram air
since the hood appears to be ready for it, just cut a hole.

Old March 25th 08, 08:26 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.ford.mustang
Ed

The dot is meaningless. If the car is a 1970-71 and its an "M" or "R" code
its got closed chambered heads. if its 1972+ and its a "Q" or "R"code its
open chambered. Later (73-74) 4v's came with smaller valves instead of the
earlier 2.19 (intake) they had the 2v size (1.90?). Thats assuming the heads
are stock however Ford may have put closed chambers on a few Q's & R's later
so really the only way to know for sure is to look at the chamber. All
cleveland blocks have very few differences. Some of them had thinner walls
but that is a luck of the draw thing. All are capable of being 4 bolt main
all that is needed is the caps.